Zyanya BellaBRONZE Member
70 posts

Posted:
I used to be big into staff...it was my first implement. I stopped thought because i ran out of moves and it was getting a bit old. I'm beginning to fiend for it some so do you guys have any new moves?

Always Beautiful

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:

It really depends on where you are with staff. If you busted all the contact, dance and acro stuff with a stick, then I guess not.

Try to be creavive, think of difrent ways to pass the stick around, investigate 1 beat and stops, foot catches and contact staff, rolls and cartwheels, theres a whole world of stuff there.

for further insperation I suggest you click on the search function above, Look at the Naming staff moves thread(s),search 'contact', buy col4.

Later

N

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Psiboing
529 posts

Posted:
Also double staff gives you heaps of expansion space, most of the stuff (including contact staff) is translatable into doubles & each single staff move becomes many variations in doubles, since you have two independent sticks. So you can "idle" one staff and simply do the trick with the other staff, or do it with both at the same time; all that times opposites/parallel/cross times vertical/horizontal = a hell of a lot of posibilities !!
Oh and doubles are not the limit: Jakob was doing some very sweet triple staff at the bristol conv.

As Nix? said, there's heaps of stuff around here, esp. in the video section

Mike

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
my new staff move is a horizontal toss above my head, caught when i bend froward, behind my back.
I have been working on alot of horizontal throws latly

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

70 posts

Posted:
I do a lot of stops with my staff...which sometimes leads to clothing catching fire...must figure out how to do my stops without catching

Always Beautiful

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
What about kick stops??

Bammy

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
nahhh, **** kick stops.

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Kenshinmember
26 posts

Posted:
I agree with BamBam, kick stops! I tried to learn loads of kicking stuff when I was first starting out, but the timing was difficult. That, and it really hurt!

Also, is that the same BamBam from the smallhouse warming party video? DykeBoy showed it to me

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
watch yourself on tape.
it is a valuable perpective that is otherwise difficult to clearly perceive, an opportunity to concentrate on what pleases you the most about your own style.

knowing what you look like from such a perspective is as important in your development as even learning the double figure of 8, imho.

oh and be careful.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

70 posts

Posted:
That would be massively interesting. I've never seen myself spin. I tried a mirror once but i can't concentrate and look in a mirror at the same time

Always Beautiful

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
..hence view footage of yourself frees your mind to concentrate on other things, such as not maiming oneself

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always