Page:
ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
so ive been sifting through the msgs about contact staffing and watching the poi in the park videos over and over and over trying to pick up as many contact staffing moves as i can. after spending many hours practising each one and watching the videos over and over i have learnt a few moves.

althought my movements are far from good i can flail around and get the general motion of a few of them. ive been showing ppl the little i know at twirling sessions and they have been picking the movements up much faster than i did as i can pass on the tips ive got for the moves.

i thought it would be cool to have some sort of site with small videos with just one contact move in each and a tips on how to do the move and or how to break it into chunks to learn. doing the whole making a website thing takes a bit of effort and all that so ive started a yahoogroup and uploaded a couple of small videos i took and added a few descriptions.

it would be great if ppl would like to add comments etc the videos are under the files section for some reason i cant make the files open to the public at the moment so it will require you to join (its set to instant so yeah)

https://groups.yahoo.com/group/Contact_Staffing/

is the site

i cant remember where i read this but im quite sure [Nx?] posted it, some sort of name would be good ive just listed it as btb shoulder to shoulder roll

quote:
heres another move

roll staff backwards from right armpit onto right shoulder
let go of staff
turn body 180 degrees to the left
staff comes over left shoulder, catch into armpit.
any and all input would be great.

ive uploaded a video that im kinda stuck with, i can get the shoulder wrap to neck roll to shoulder wrap now im trying to turn 180 at the end to get the staff to roll across my back but not having much luck, neway if anyone would care to have a look at the video and give me some advice i would be most grateful

[ 22. September 2003, 21:36: Message edited by: ben-ja-men ]

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
yaaaay! now all your contact staff are belong to us! now you have more contact videoness than i, benjamen!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Hey ben-ja-men, I did exactly the same thing... I knew my camera was too rubbish for night or even big movies, so I filmed all the contact moves I could do, even the crap ones, and made a little site of them.

They're all in some not quite so good a codex as divx, something like microsoft mpeg4 codex, as avi's. So most things should play em. Slow motion is such fun.

You can check them out in a about an hour when I sort my server out at my new flat at
zaphod.mine.nu/fire/index.html

[
or in fact for a server that works - and please
don't thrash it...:
https://void.printf.net/~meghan/

]

I'll just go have a wwf smackdown style fight with the former server admin of the flat...

meg

[ 23. September 2003, 03:22: Message edited by: mcp ]

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
wow meg those videos are awsome thatll keep me busy for a very long long time.

in the words of bender (sorry mate u said it best so im pinching ur words)

you be indeed the contact mastah
:bows:

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
thanks man, but I just wish I could string them all together the way The Rob can do. Either that or make the staff levitate. Hmmm levitate.

I love my staff, and I love it more when it tries to kiss me on my head at 60mph. hmmm.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
but i liked the capitals tho

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

rftekmember
101 posts

Posted:
mcp:: awesome videos! i think my fav is the continous half-steve. indeed a lot of material to absorb.. i've been doing alot of 'biceplock' front figure8's and been calling that contact, i don't know, i need to get external to myself (video/mirror) and look at it.

detail of 'biceplock front 8's': starting from a regular figure 8, replace your hands with the inside of your elbow and keep doing continous figure 8's. it beats your ribs up a good bit, then your doing it right.

anyways, not to distract from your thread. good stuff.

benjahmen:: i haven't had a chance to look at your videos yet, i'm supposed to be on my way to do some maple mathematic homework and got severly sidetracked. bleh. peace yall.

rftekmember
101 posts

Posted:
ben-ja-men: i logged in and tried to watch the videos but permissions was denied. just a fyi, this was several days ago btw.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
mmmmmm not sure why that would have happened, um other ppl have been able to access it, did u save it to your hard drive b4 trying to watch it?

Briggymember
18 posts

Posted:
*gives Ben-ja-man a huge hug*

just found my new bible

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yo,

well done for finally getting a resource like this, unfortunatly I cant watch it, is there anything new to me?

I think some of MCP's names are wrong, a full steve is down one arm, round the back of the neck, up the other arm, down that arm again, round the front of the neck, up the first arm.

L*r dudes

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
thanx briggy im still trying to learn all of the tricks on mcps site thatll keep me busy for the next long time but ill upload whatever i learn along the way

hey tom i doubt there is anything new to you on there yet, something we where playing with today is doing a under the knee pass and then gripping the stick between your calf and thigh. then moving your leg round to the side of your body so like your in a position like your going to do a round house kick, the staff is perpendicular to the ground. then bring your leg behind your body so the staff is parallel to the ground. then do like an elbow pop with your knee while leaning forward. its a bit of a case of a picture saying a thousand words

neway if you throw the staff parallel to the ground over your head to behind you and manage to catch it with the underside of your knee (helps if your standing really upright, kinda like u where playing hopscotch.......) the do the move above in reverse to bring it back in front of you.

Psiboing
529 posts

Posted:
Hi ben-ja-men,

good idea to have video exchange resource! I was thinking one could share trickvideos via peer-to-peer networks, e.g. kazaa - i think there was a thread in the video section at some point about this but it sort of disappeared .. hm

Anyway, with the trick you wanted help with - its much much easier to do at a 45 degree angle, because the staff will be able to rest on your back/neck at all times! Once you got it down at that angle try steepening it - but i guess the full vertical one is going to be damn hard! Hope it helps,

Mike

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
thanks ben,

that reminds me of a hackysac move where you stall it on the foot, flick it up to the back of the knee and then out.

I guess what your talking about is the equivelent of an elbow catch but with the let, gotta try it.

Keep on keeping on.

T

-><- Kallisti

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
hi mike thanx for the tip i managed to get a vertical one twice i was so suprised when it happened it just felt sooooooo right ...... i wont say out of how many tries though

anyone can upload to the yahoogroup site sadly theres the whole limited space deal but it should take a while to fill it up with short clips

my computer is online most of the time so ill be happy to do the kaza thing if u can work out an easy way to make the files findable via searching.

hey tom wish all hacky moves translated to staffing ...... or maybe they do ..... i wonder if a shirt bouncy thing could work with a fire staff in a useful way *ponders* if only a knee pop was as easy as an elbow pop. any luck with getting a full steve?

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
nahhh, no-where, im really slack with staff at the mo, it was even a nice day today and i didnt get out to play any

T

-><- Kallisti

_pOp_BRONZE Member
Playing OldSchool Poi
593 posts

Posted:
YEAAAAHHHH!!!
thanks ben-ja-men for starting this thread and the newsgroup, bender for your site I already enjoyed, MOT for his site and finally (last but not least) meg mcp for that wonderfull site that was missing in this list!! very, verrrry, VERRY NICE!!!!!

now off to the park to practice...

eric pOpsteric

since bender and mot aren't linked yet in this thread:

MOT
Bender
Meg

PS: know of any sites that need to be in this list? please add!!!!

meditate eRic.

I'm not normally a religious man, but if you're up there, save me, Superman!

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
https://www.poiinthepark.co.uk/media.html
has some awesome videos

https://www.fireninja.com
has a couple of nice videos its more speed stuff than contact though

https://www.firetwirlers.com/elbowroll.php
is a cool elbow roll move doing it in reverse is far easier

https://www.worldsbaton2002.com/
no longer works but had some amazing baton twirling videos if ur email can handle a 7 meg or a 15 meg file i can email them to you.

Psiboing
529 posts

Posted:
Ben,

almost all contact moves can be done vertically, at an angle, or horizontally - each type has a certain appearance/style about it, which gives it a lot of variability. if you stall during any of those (pinch say between neck and shoulder) then you can easily transition between plane angles too... I find the angled once the easiest, so i normally learn my moves like that, and then straighten & clean the plane in either direction. The horizontal ones are imho very difficult to get very clean, its easy to splip into a slight angle & then it kind of looses its flair (<-- is that an english word?)

Anyway, it think kazaa would e nice, since there wouldn't be any size restrictions, its legal (since its our own material, if we declare it ublic domain, then there's nothing wrong with sharing) and once many people do it people could share bandwidth & noone would be too much slowed down due to downloads.
To find the files one should put a prefix on all the file names , say

code:

"hop xxxxxxxx.mpeg" or
"homeofpoi xxxxxxxx.mpeg"

(the latter would be less ambigous i reckon ...)

Anyone up for that ??

Mike

p.s. will try to dig out that old thread in 'videos'

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
sounds good ill have to dig out kazaa and get it installed again

i just added a few new videos to
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/Contact_Staffing/

elbow wrap straightening arm to palm wrap divxed.avi

front shoulder to shoulder pass to half steve divxed.avi

r s wrap to neck wrap to l s wrap to half gt.avi
Right shoulder wrap to neck wrap to left shoulder wrap to half globetrotter

rsw to nw to lsw to btb s2s roll.avi
Right shoulder wrap to neck wrap to left shoulder wrap to behind the back shoulder to shoulder roll

rsw to nw to lsw to btb s2s roll to turn.avi
Right shoulder wrap to neck wrap to left shoulder wrap to behind the back shoulder to shoulder roll to turn

are the new ones

good2gomember
4 posts

Posted:
yo benji abou back neck spins its all in the foot work step left horsontal in right hand under step right over place on left step on left shoulder look at feet baton on back neck step right eye it comming over your right shoulder when you see it step right let it roll over again step left ( steps are in a circle)
catch on right shoulder
good luck
traps are cool too
elbow rolls are a a progresson first

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
spray that again?

-><- Kallisti

Psiboing
529 posts

Posted:
sounds interesting but could you explain that again sloooooowly maybe ?

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
eek, me's a lost again!

Your life is ending one minute at a time...
So live it.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
hi good2go thanx for the advice i actually got it a couple of times a few days ago

when i was talking to [Nx?] i explained it in a similar way and he was all like eh then i added in planes n stuff and he was all like o so basically a neck wrap to a halo roll (as mcp coined it) while stepping in a cirlce then repeat to infinity

Psi i hear u can do a fishtail on ur shoulder ...... is there some footage somewhere of your friwlage?

Psiboing
529 posts

Posted:
oh how much information gets distorted when the word goes by mouth ([Nx?], )

No i wish i could do full fishtails on the shoulder (*dream*) but i've managed half a fishtail on the shoulder - i.e. only going from the front to the back. Its part of the move on Tomo's baton page called 'cutbacks' but i'm waaaay off doing the whole thing - im really happy i at least got half a repetition after 3-4 months or so of trying.. but am working on it

I don't think i have any online footage of that move - there's only one video from the people down here in bristol - have a look in the video section.

mike

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
lol and where would one find Tomo's baton page

Psiboing
529 posts

Posted:
ooops, sorry forgot the link:

here we go: Tomo's baton page (advice page) Unfortunately all in japanese, but the VTR buttons are links to RealPlayer (.rm) movies !

Mike

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
wheres the google translate button when u need it

Psiboing
529 posts

Posted:
Its a quality site .. absolutely love the 'angel roll' - don't even know where to begin learning that Have fun, Mike

Page: