Page:
ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
so ive been sifting through the msgs about contact staffing and watching the poi in the park videos over and over and over trying to pick up as many contact staffing moves as i can. after spending many hours practising each one and watching the videos over and over i have learnt a few moves.

althought my movements are far from good i can flail around and get the general motion of a few of them. ive been showing ppl the little i know at twirling sessions and they have been picking the movements up much faster than i did as i can pass on the tips ive got for the moves.

i thought it would be cool to have some sort of site with small videos with just one contact move in each and a tips on how to do the move and or how to break it into chunks to learn. doing the whole making a website thing takes a bit of effort and all that so ive started a yahoogroup and uploaded a couple of small videos i took and added a few descriptions.

it would be great if ppl would like to add comments etc the videos are under the files section for some reason i cant make the files open to the public at the moment so it will require you to join (its set to instant so yeah)

https://groups.yahoo.com/group/Contact_Staffing/

is the site

i cant remember where i read this but im quite sure [Nx?] posted it, some sort of name would be good ive just listed it as btb shoulder to shoulder roll

quote:
heres another move

roll staff backwards from right armpit onto right shoulder
let go of staff
turn body 180 degrees to the left
staff comes over left shoulder, catch into armpit.
any and all input would be great.

ive uploaded a video that im kinda stuck with, i can get the shoulder wrap to neck roll to shoulder wrap now im trying to turn 180 at the end to get the staff to roll across my back but not having much luck, neway if anyone would care to have a look at the video and give me some advice i would be most grateful

[ 22. September 2003, 21:36: Message edited by: ben-ja-men ]

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
quote:
the intresting bit, and this is where im gonna confuse peaple again is that once you have turned to the left the staff is now comming backwards over your right shoulder, if you contine turning to the left you are now turning against the spin of the staff. and it goes across your back and onto the left shoulder, a 'halo roll'. Now im not shure why but from here you are still turning against the staff and it continues across the chest.

help anyone? maybe not
OOoOoOooOO i know this one.

lets say that you and turning clockwise and the staff is turning clockwise

because you are spinning in the same direction as the staff is and you can spin faster than the staff when u do it will do the halo roll.

the reason for this is made clearer if u look at the staffs spinning relative to your body lets say you are spinning at 20 revs per min and the staff is spinning at 15 revs per min now if u look at it relative to yourself so that everything else is spinning and u are still, the staff is now spinning 5 revs per min anticlockwise. so when u spin at the right speed u get ur halo roll

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Humm, its a good point, badly put. sorry.

some of what ben is saying is that you kneed to turn your body at the same speed as the staff is turning.

but i dont think this clockwise thing helps, especially as the planes are diffrent by 90 degrees, if you have seen a gear which operates at 90 degrees bight be better, the teeth move against each other, this is essentially whats happening whe the staff is crossing your chest/back. as for the other way, well the metaphore breaks down, but hey.

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
meg just finally looked at your site it has beautiful tutorials(if you have broadband )

i am back in edinburgh for a couple of weeks and have just had it pointed out to me that i seem to have ignored this thread( to self)....so as at present i am feline very uninspired to write about contact moves and stuff would you be up for taking a camera to juggling on wednesday and filimg some stuff for your tutorials....?

enjoy

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Yeah - I'll definatively bring it with me. A few niggling points however - I just broke it, but I fixed it using the tripod attachment -

It's going to be really dark inside the chaplancy. (indoor light is always shit, unless you're on a movie set.) I did those videos in bright (thou scottish) sunlight, I don't want to think how the camera is going to respond to making video's indoors.

It's got no sound! (it's really a still camera, not a video camera)

I think it does a maximum of 30 seconds, so if you have any moves longer than that....

On the plus side, it'll be nice not to have to film myself! yay! And goddamn, my mum is rubbish with a camera, I came inside the first time to find the memory empty! Doh! Anyway... erm yeah - cool.

8*)

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
who is this mcp anyway?

T

-><- Kallisti

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
It's the mcp?

Have you seen the film tron?

I broke my glasses with meteors - not rock.

[ 28. October 2003, 15:26: Message edited by: mcp ]

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
****. can't do this wednesday.

gigging in falkirk til 10pm ish.

nor next wednesday....care to set up a time between now and then? monday in tollcross is an option.....hmmm...

pm me.

R

Motaddict
666 posts

Posted:
A good mate of mine has just up-ped a big load of contact lessons......
Curious???
Try here scroll down a wee bit and theres a list of contact lessons.
ben - you know them all I think, is'nt that you on a few of them???

Come forth and thou shalt win enternal happiness. but he came fifth so he won an electric toatser.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
lol as a matter of fact it is indeed

there is a big difference between knowing and being able to do though im working on bridging the gap.

got me a nice new stick today 35 mm diameter its soooooo much easier than my old stick which has mysteriously vanished *makes erie noise*

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Is it much easier cause it's thicker Ben?

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

firetwirl_netmember
10 posts

Posted:
im not sure if anyony has said this

its also good if u havd a good contact stick
nice and thick and heavy (well waited is the way to go as the stick moves much better

maby give that a go

michael

To love fire is to be fire

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
the thickness helps, its tasmin oak so its quite heavy to im not sure if im going to soak it in linseed oil or not yet ...... play that one by ear i think. damn thickness means i have to use not one but two tennis raquet grips

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Hey,

mcp, I just saw your videos, they are really nice, i especially like the static steve, it looks wicked.

Cant believe i never met you, or maybe i did *shrug* I woulda if i was comming to edinburgh, but im not anymore, so i guess some other time.

Later

-><- Kallisti

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Thanks man!

Oooo, I'm all embarrassed now. But I'm still pretty crap compared to what you can do (in my head) and rob. I wish I had enough money to buy col4, then I'd watch it and see people. But I don't. Stupid money.

Oh and in my head, you're really good. Keep it up!

8*)

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Lol,

dont worry, you got time to catch up, both me and rob seem to have given up staff for the winter.

-><- Kallisti

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
er.

not strictly true... i've been playing around with three sticks a little...and warmth i think will get me sticking again...

monday is good for me for fillumming. but not loads of space in the place unless i can throw our drummers out of the next room ( for malcolm, wheres a drumming smiley when you need one )

R

TheApprovingNinjaFrom the Ashes of a Ninja Rise THE HIPS OF RAGE
371 posts

Posted:
Hey MCP did I see you at the meadows up in edinburgh. I'm pretty sure that I showed you the really confusing trick.

and rob you smell like poo since you left liquid without saying good bye, you smell head

Viva UGLY STAFF

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
yes, yes you did. And I thank you for it!

But I still can't do it. Do you do it with both hands? My left hand seems more liable to do it when going clockwise, my right hand just does a devilstick spin instead... Thou I can do a devilstick stylee horizontal no-hands (just wrists) continous helicopter thing... Which in my mind makes up for being crap at thumbs. I'm surprised I don't have huge callouses on the back of my hands and wrists now, cos they're mostly the bits I use while twirling.

If I could do a globetrotter one way then immediately the other way continously, I would call it the seesaw. hmmmm seesaws.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
i looked for you for 15 minutes and you weren't there.

so neh!

TheApprovingNinjaFrom the Ashes of a Ninja Rise THE HIPS OF RAGE
371 posts

Posted:
you liar I was right where I was exaclty where you should have been looking.

Viva UGLY STAFF

Page: