Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > is contact twirling a newish thing?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
apart from whats here on hop and on poi in the park (much thanx to the makers the videos have opened so many doors) i havnt been able to find any other contact twirling info anywhere. most of "contact staff" on the net is about contacting staff i know twirling has been round for ages but contact twirling doesnt seem to have been around for as long, although i could be totally wrong id be interested to hear how ppl found out about contact staffing and its origins

[ 15. September 2003, 06:13: Message edited by: ben-ja-men ]

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I don't think mushy pea steve is a crossdresser. He is tall, tends to wear only black, has a black pony tail and is also an amazing contact juggler, as well as hooper and handstander.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
yes he is also a cross dresser for fun not kinkiness i believe..he was at a friends wedding and there was a fancy dress room
all night long new and exotic bearded ladies with fantastics backsides kept appearing,its definatly the same guy.............
back to the thread would i be right in saying steve was instrumental in a lot of the early staff contact moves?
he is very modest about it but apparently he is a bit of a legend in the con tact staff world?
as for his acrylic juggling ive seen a short preview of the soon to be released beard and fullmoon contact dvd and yes he is amazing withy one massive acrylic ball,details of this video and release date will follow asap..

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
here are details of a dvd release you may be interested in,ive seen some un-edited footage and it looks awesome,

https://www.fullmoonperformers.com/isolation/index.html
having read this properly i am totally aware that this is the real steve?!??!!?!!?!?!?!?god knows why hes called mushy pea though?

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:

Yes tim, I think everybody has heard of in isolation by now.

The mushy pea name was because he ran the mushy pea juggling store in . Weather he gave it his name, or took his name from it is unknown to me.

Yes, he was instrumental. Many older school Contact Staffers would credit him with some 'instrumental' status also.

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
thanks mcp your great,my ego is in constant need of deflation please keep up the good work,
jago is a good friend of mine and i will continue to plug this video cos i know how hard he worked for it.
no wonder he feels a bit isolated....

entheogenGOLD Member
173 posts

Posted:
Tim, sorry I was a bit mean on my last post. It was rude. No hard feelings?

Don't be deceived by the chinese style Steve. From a glance they look like really similiar moves, but the technique behind them is quite different. I would even go as far to say knowing the one is not only not easier but detrimental to knowing the other.

From how I understand the half steve, it was inspired by the similiar contact ball trick, in which the stick gathers its momentum from raising/lowering the arm, and or turning the torso.

The chinese steve (or at least thats what I call it, I tried to find out the chinese name, but they simply refer to it as : this is the second thing you learn. Any more insistance to the name of the trick just gave me strange looks) on the other hand is more of a passive acceptance of the sticks inherent rolling momentum from the base move, which not only works as a go between for other moves but also drives the stick. The feicha's unique shape also helps in this aspect; not only can you visually see how fast the feicha is spinning from the strange shape of the head, but it also doesn't roll on its own, it would mearly just tip over.

'There are two mantras in life, yum and yuk. I choose yum.'

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
 Written by: tim_marston

thanks mcp your great,my ego is in constant need of deflation please keep up the good work,
jago is a good friend of mine and i will continue to plug this video cos i know how hard he worked for it.
no wonder he feels a bit isolated....

Ah fighting sarcasm with sarcasm aye? Cunning.

Anyway, My flatmate just brought me back a copy from the EJC! YAY! My god, jives is a strange french camp mime boy.

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
entheogen no hard feelings at all,i am passionate about all types of maipulation(by the way how do you know i twirl fast?)contact for me is very much a spectator hobby so i am uneducated in its ways.

mcp i was deadly serious i am a muppet and you constant ability to bring me down to earth keeps me from talking to much poo.
im glad you have the dvd
would you consider a professionally made staff or fire dvd collaboration a possibilty some time?

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I would love to make a dvd similar to in isolation, os it would then rock...

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
well get of yer ass and do it then! wink

we could start filming - say the 29th? ubbangel

biggrin

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Hmmmmm, we would need at least three cameras.... I would need to poke you a lot to give me the footage of me from play 2006, and such like... and then poke somebody to make it into a dvd, without me spending LOTS of money on a new computer... eek

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
3 cameras - bring yours - ive got 2!

footage of you from play - ive got - decent computer ive got, lots of uber contact footage of sandy / ninja dave ive also got.

In theory - it can be done - its just involving alot of me so far though ubblol

Im supposed to be making a play dvd - not a hardcore staffing one.........

although i know what one id prefer wink

biggrin

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Hardcore staffing all the way!!

i've not a brand new mac and a camera just waiting for a project

smile

Love is the law.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Hmmm, that reminds me, I was going to make a thread on what constitutes a 'clean' contact move. But it basically boils down to: "How to make contact staff harder: Do it right."

and er, when I said a dvd, I meant one that would progress the state of spinning dvd's, in terms of quality of footage, locations, and content, much as in isolations and the scales of poi have done. (and I imagine spherculism dvd will too) not just make a video with some people spinning in a field. (no offense.)

ie: "How to make making a dvd harder: Do it right."

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
No hippies then wink

Love is the law.

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
progress the dvd makings - lol

no offence taken - however, the footage of sandy is more than high quality.......

nija dave stuff looks like dude in a field admitadly - stuff of you on stage, well..... "locations and content" both crap really wink

ubblol

So - who is going to take this project on then?

Once ive got play 2006 out the way id be up for it (with alot of help)............ it would take a year of travelling around meeting up with everone though........... and thrn another year to get them all off there slack arses, thrn another year to get them to do some spinning that they were happy with wink

Anyone got 3 years available?

ubbloco

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Holds up hand...

Though i'll have to ask amelie first wink

Love is the law.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
aw dude, this thread is DERAILED.

nah, nobody gets a year to do twirling they're happy with. They get two months notice to practise what they want to put on camera, and then a weekend to capture it. Damn if you said to people you have to be happy with it, then it'd never get done. You have to be more of a facist strugz, like me.

That way you can get it done in maybe a couple of months of weekends. ( maybe less if you got people to travel to general locations.)

When are you free strugz?

Ado: do you have a camera?

Well, I imagine standing in front of a sign written in felt tip, that spells a four letter word wrong, is a retard. So you don't need to bother with that stuff.

and what's more, by the time we're ready to make a dvd, contact staff might be in a fit state for a dvd to be made... ubbidea

biggrin

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
i reckon its been derailed for a while now eh...

but just in case, i wont make any more jokes

Love is the law.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:

at least answer the question!

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Yes, I have a camera smile

Not to mention a fairly decent recording of the main fire show at EJC smile

except the bit that Anti did, coz he coundt find the manual focus. In fairness though, it took me three weeks....

Love is the law.

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
sorry again for derailing thread totally my fault,
as to the dvd,i totally agree that it needs to be shot in cool locations from cool angles,otherwise it would jnust be like a hop col series video,
i also agree that whoever is in the film can only have so long to film so that it doesnt take forever to make.

would this be staff only?(i think it would be better that way)

would it include contact,spinning and numbers?

would it be posted for free download or pay to download?or dvds to sell?

people having cameras is cool but one thing about "in isolation" that makes it good is the fact broadcast quality cameras have been used(these cost serious money to buy although they can be hired a lot cheaper.

how to decide who is on the video and who isnt?

beard supported jago financially in making "in isollation"hoping to recover costs from sales of both the video and increased acrylic sales,could we find a similar method of funding?

borganiqueBRONZE Member
154 posts

Posted:
back to the origional thread of 'is contact new?' it must have been around for ages and ages, depending on what counts as a staff, i remember years ago before i even contemplated any of this juggling stuff, carrying a log on my shoulder then letting it roll down my arm into a cradle, similarly, switching shoulders by rolling it around the neck or back if it was really heavy, these are practical, energy saving things to do when working in forestry/coppicing etc which has been around for 1000s of years and if i worked them out when i was 12 i guess others have done too...

CalvinKlownEunathist
280 posts

Posted:
I'm also inclined to believe that spinney staff, and contact are not new at all.

https://www.marines.com/page/usmc.jsp?pag...shRedirect=true

The USMC silent drill platoon is a modern day example of what I believe are the possible roots of contact staff. Military organizations as far back as 4000 years ago or more would have had the opportunity and the inclination to become more than proficient in manipulating spears in all sorts of ways. Add to that the huge amount of standing around waiting that all armies do, the inevitable boredom, and the competitive atmosphere of a bunch of soldiers all trying to out-do each other, never mind the desire to perfectly master one of your weapons, and you have a great recipe for some staff genii. Staff certainly fits the bill for drilling, as a way to demonstrate your armies' ability to allies and enemies, and IMHO looks a lot better than impeccably timed marching.
There's still all sorts of manipulation in various forces, setting aside the USMC, from submariners encouraged to juggle as a hobby (because of to the lack of space for exercise) to the contact manipulation of high explosive heavy artillery shells in WWI & WWII, (Take that health & safety!) and I'm sure I read somewhere about armorers manipulating cannonballs during the early days of artillery.
I don't think you could ever find out "how new/old" contact staff is. I suggest that it is something that's in the exploratory side of all of us and just requires the right circumstances to come out.
IE: Being stuck with nothing to do, and having a stick.

That's my 2p. Flame away, I have broad shoulders.

P.S. I saw Valentin Dikul do all sorts of contact with two gold cannonballs joined on a 5" diameter pole as part of a strongman act in 1990 ish.

Never lie down with someone who has more problems than you.

TotalEclipseGOLD Member
120 posts

Posted:
slightly off topic...but does anyone have any idea about when the HoP contact staff tutorials will go up? I have never done any contact and need something to learn from...

Chronofracture333Hobo Gaylord
329 posts

Posted:
@T_E: check your PM for some linky goodness. smile

Written by: A_B

I don't think you could ever find out "how new/old" contact staff is. I suggest that it is something that's in the exploratory side of all of us and just requires the right circumstances to come out.
IE: Being stuck with nothing to do, and having a stick

Hmm.... we're not the only animals that play either. Its possible that contact staff pre-dates humans altogether.

meditate

*no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no*

"Oooh, what a shiny new move!"

CalvinKlownEunathist
280 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Chrono333

Hmm.... we're not the only animals that play either. Its possible that contact staff pre-dates humans altogether.

meditate

I'd LOVE to see a monkey do an antispin matrix!

Or have I seen that already? ubbangel

Never lie down with someone who has more problems than you.

shaySILVER Member
stranger
17 posts

Posted:
check this out:

Feichakidnewbie
2 posts

Posted:
hey mate,
I would check out Feicha videos if you can find them, I learned the feicha in the beijing state circus, it is the most advanced contact staff juggling that is I have seen, and has taken a year and a half of solid training to perform the feicha moves with a pool que or broom (which is what i use instead of my metal feicha that I practiced with in china, good luck and be really careful, when i was learning I popped many a nerve in my hand and wrist and was black and blue from shoulder to fingers. good luck
R

Feichakidnewbie
2 posts

Posted:
hey mate, Did you by chance learn in the beijing state circus?
thats where I learned and now feicha is my most favored pasttime. I am useing brooms and pool sticks now. and fire feicha is always interesting and fun. the loashi is always right.
R

Page: