Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > palm spin to neck wrap transfers? tips neone

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
ive watched glasses contact twirling vid over and over but i cant seem to get palm spin to neck wrap transfers. i felt heaps lost reading alot of the contact threads so if your reading this and dont know what im talking about its the first move on this movie

https://www.londonjuggling.org/vids/DrewAndStaff.avi

ive had a search through the archieves but couldnt find nething.

i can get neckwrap to palm spin fine, it feels soooo right but the reverse is giving me no joy. any tips as to what path the staff rolls along or something.

i find doing a neck wrap to palm spin gravity pushin down and my arm pushing up keep the staff connected to my arm nicely but rolling the staff down with my arm coming down doesnt work so nicely.

tips?

[ 11. September 2003, 03:44: Message edited by: ben-ja-men ]

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
It took me lots of practice to get this move, so that's my first bit of advice: lots of practice.

Take it nice and slow.
As the palm spins towards the little finger curve curve your hand so that the staff rolls onto the top of your wrist. From here the staff will naturally roll down your arm. The speed of descent is controlled by your arm placing. If it's too steep it'll be too fast. Also moving the arm to the left or right will vary speed.

Hope that helps

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Damn, I got excited because I read 'palm spin to neck wrap' too quickly and thougth it was under 'poi moves'.

Cuz that would be one badass poi move.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
and its called 'the steve'

respect to mushy pea-dom

(and dom too)

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Yeah, slowly does it, also, i find this easier from a back-of-the-hand spin.

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Can you palm spin poi? Rob?

Alledgedly some people can do a double steve. But they're mostly just showy Te Pooka types...

Meh

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
mostly

-><- Kallisti

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
thanx heaps for the quick replys. i had been wondering about names of contact moves. what is a neckwrap to palmspin called? what is a palmspin to neckwrap to palmspin called?

quote:
Damn, I got excited because I read 'palm spin to neck wrap' too quickly and thougth it was under 'poi moves'.

surely its possible ....... if u where doing the palm spin on the left hand so ur left hand is out flat and the right hand holds its poi at a really short length and runs little circles round the left hand with the poi, then do one of those rope darty things but towards you behind ur body then as it goes past ur head move ur neck into the chain let it flick onto ur neck and off. im sure one of you jedi like ppls could do it

[ 11. September 2003, 16:46: Message edited by: ben-ja-men ]

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
blue - And I believe this contact move was the one Steve was given by a woman in a dream.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
really? i cant help but feeling like im being really gullabull ....

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
well it's either 'you're gullable' or 'jugglers are weird' - i'll leave you make your own mind up

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
HHHmmmmmmmm

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yo,

I tend to call the palmspin to neckwrap to palspin (comming all the way down the arm and round the back of the neck) a half steve.

if from there you go back down the arm, round the front of the neck and back (absolutly inpossible) then its a full steve.

a double steve is when you start from double sticks crossed abouve yuo then send each one down the arm and across to finnish with a cross in the other hand. simple.

T

-><- Kallisti

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
yay i got my first half steve not fluidly beautiful or nething but i got one i had my arm a tad bent when i was going from palm to neck which was causing it to bounce a little, now i just need to get that groovy neck body movement thing happening and hopefully ill be flowing.

is a full steve impossible impossible or impossible hard or impossible windpipes and sticks dont go together?

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
impossible hard.

the double steve has thwacked me a few times in aforementioned part of anatomy tho.

for C@mberwell

R

Psiboing
529 posts

Posted:
With the double steve, does the second staff, (which does not go down the arm round the neck and back up) stay over your head all the time or do you pass it round the back while the other one is on your neck ?
Been playing (trying without too much success that is at the moment )with the latter one ... but the former one i havn't tried, would you just have to do loads of finger/palm spins above your head ?

Mike

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
eerm. it does go down the arm, round the neck and up the other one...

it starts in a cross, the first one does a half steve, then the second one does a half steve. and it comes out in a cross in the other hand.

so technically it should be called a double-half-steve

R

Psiboing
529 posts

Posted:
Ahhhh i see ,nice one! will have to try that ... sounds ridiculously hard tho...

Mike

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
wait a minute, I thought the full steve was when you did an extra spin on the back of your neck? This new full steve sounds a lot harder.

my baby steve is a little energetic and likes to fly off my arm at the end, getting it to come back down is a bitch.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
steve who ever he is, is one cheeky whatever...
he´s named a whole genre of moves!
the genius of it!!!
can get an everlasting steve-reverse/steve
but only in one direction.
wait a minute.
a full steve is from left palm, back of neck to right palm, right? so what is it round the front of the neck (which is what i described earlier as a reverse steve)???
is that a reverse steve? or is right palm-back of neck to left palm (rotating the opposite way from the full steve) a reverse steve???
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

Your life is ending one minute at a time...
So live it.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
and like rob said, you can put your hands together at the end of the steve 'in a special way' to get back to the start of the steve and start steveing all over again without it touching your hands! A continous steve!

Plus you can do a static steve: No spin as it runs down your arm (like a Globetrotter), so you have to do a quick turn to get it on the other shoulder and roll it down the other arm.

how many have we got now?

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
nonononononononononono.

a half -steve goes, hand(left for this instace), down arm, round neck, up arm into right hand.

a full steve then goes back gown the right arm, round the fromt of the neck, back up to the left hand.

ben i will show you the difference at the conv.

enjoy
R

ps. mcp i'm sure i must know you from edinburgh...

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
well the continous-half-steve makes me feel good.

but the full steve THATS IMPOSSIBLE! I tried that. Either it was neck calamity or an arm to arm join in front.

Yeah, I know you from Edinburgh - You're rob, and I'm meg, also called Mophead, I'll leave that to your imagination. 8*)

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by mcp:
but the full steve THATS IMPOSSIBLE! I

Yeah, I know you from Edinburgh - You're rob, and I'm meg, also called Mophead, I'll leave that to your imagination. 8*)

i did warn you....

have i met you too/

Tom

-><- Kallisti

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
im wondering where abouts u move your arm to after the staff spins across the front of your neck. ive been trying it guiding the staff through with my hand and cant get it to work. the only possible way i could see it happening is if it came off my should smoothly with my arm facing out to the side with my palm facing up and then bringing my arm around behind to the back of my head. any other ideas?

im finding when i try though the staff doesnt want to leave my shoulder as easily as when going round the back of my neck. ne tips?

[ 15. September 2003, 04:28: Message edited by: ben-ja-men ]

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yah, thats the bit i got trouble with too.

T

-><- Kallisti

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
mmmmmm i may have to work on some sort of shoulder dislocation whilst twirling . that or maybe arching backwards slightly to make it easier for the staff to roll off

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
tom and james you are both getting into trouble for that quote.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I read in a thread ages ago that these sort of moves aren't really possible with a staff under 5 feet. Is that true??

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
there is no staff

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Kyle McLeanBRONZE Member
Living it up
363 posts

Posted:
I love the feel of this move. I've got it happening with single staff, although could use a bit of polish me thinks. Would some one be willing to explain how it works with doubles in a bit more detail? I'll go try it now, but don't get quite get just what it is I'm trying...

Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

Page: