Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > palm spin to neck wrap transfers? tips neone

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
ive watched glasses contact twirling vid over and over but i cant seem to get palm spin to neck wrap transfers. i felt heaps lost reading alot of the contact threads so if your reading this and dont know what im talking about its the first move on this movie

https://www.londonjuggling.org/vids/DrewAndStaff.avi

ive had a search through the archieves but couldnt find nething.

i can get neckwrap to palm spin fine, it feels soooo right but the reverse is giving me no joy. any tips as to what path the staff rolls along or something.

i find doing a neck wrap to palm spin gravity pushin down and my arm pushing up keep the staff connected to my arm nicely but rolling the staff down with my arm coming down doesnt work so nicely.

tips?

[ 11. September 2003, 03:44: Message edited by: ben-ja-men ]

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Tom:
quote:
if from there you go back down the arm, round the front of the neck and back (absolutly inpossible) then its a full steve.

rob:
quote:

a half -steve goes, hand(left for this instace), down arm, round neck, up arm into right hand.

a full steve then goes back gown the right arm, round the front of the neck, back up to the left hand.

No. that sould like rubbish.
A Steve is a person he has 2 leg and 2 arms and is a firend of mine.

king of the bongo, Steve wouldn't ever name a move after himself. he's a bit too gentle for that.

He has in he past found and developed many (awsome) moves with stick, clubswinging 1 ball and random other props.

I don't know what he calls them, but before you go randomly naming moves after someone as a mark of "respect", why not go ask that someone who developed them and taught them to the rest of us what he calls them?

not such a daft Idea huh ???

I think he doesn't care for names and for all we know he calls them all "this one", as a result of all the workshops he teaches, amongst juggling community in europe there are a lot of clubswinging and stick moves know as "steves move" or "one of steves moves". not as the name of the move, but just remember the workshop in grenoble 6 years ago* where he taught it.
(*or similar workshops, i didn't make this up, somone refered to it a year ago in bremen when they showed me a lovely move.)
Unless there was some mortal god who taught him loadsa stuff with a stick, which I dont think is the case, then He is pretty much the father of contact staff.

and tom you seem to be making up some fairly Kookoo names.
Like full steve and half steve. I'd never use those names and I'm sure steve never would.
Ugh.

I'd give you really good odds that steve would never try to do this around the neck variation in a horizontal shoulder roll, that you're calling a "full steve" (ugh a horrible name, steve is a definatly a person, not a move)
Its not impossible, but its really not his style.
but it dosn't suit me either So I won't be going for it unless I change to a marcus style stick.

The shoulder roll that steve does, with or without a spin on the back or the neck, definately isn't a half of anything.
Its a complete move,
I reckon its one of the most pure and most perfect moves in contact staff,
maybe you missed that. or maybe I'm missing something, tom, what is the other half?

Mind you, I still don't know how rob can do this with doubles, its ****ing legendary.

And tom hope your doing lots of contact up there is scotland with that fun-guy.

word at bedtime
Drew

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
And ben
in answer to the original question,
do it slower
and practice
shed loads.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
well, actually....

I dont call it a half steve, i call it, well, this one (demonstrates) but other peaple call it that and the name has stuck, its just a name, would a rose and all that?

perhaps if I was refering to the real person it would be the Mushy pea wrap

pedant of poi! :slap:

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Psiboing
529 posts

Posted:
Glass,

I agree with most of the points you've made, especially about asking steve what he calls this move (or category of moves)!
I havn't really been around contact sticking for long enought to have any valid opinion on this, but I think of him as the father of contact staffing, the ease, perfection and creativity with which he uses his staff certainly suggest it to me.

But in terms of naming this beautiful family of moves, i think constantly calling moves 'this one' or 'that one' just hinders communication between jugglers. The arm roll/neck spin/arm roll move and all its variations have become so popular that they deserve a proper name, rather than the above mere description. It doesn't have to be 'steve' of course, we could call it whatever, and i guess steve ought to have his word on this.

But then words/names have a dynamic of their own - people seem to have stuck to the name 'steve', they use it and they understand what is meant by it - i.e. a functioning communication - and now its going to be pretty impossible to reverse that. And who knows - maybe mushy pea steve feels honoured by the fact others have named a genre of moves after him, after all its kind of acknowledging the inventor. That doesn't mean he has to use it him self - that would just seem arrogant, and he's not that kind of person !

anyway, enough rambling - there's my toughts on this anyway

Mike

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
In contact juggling with a ball,
the equivalent move is called a shoulder roll.
that make sense,
meg call it a neck roll, that makes sense too.

across the front with a ball is a chest roll,
you can spin it the other way and do a walk in 7 steps instead of a roll to get that with a stick

[ 13. October 2003, 07:13: Message edited by: Glåss ]

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Glass,

contact ball terms dont really translate to stick, cos a ball doesnt have a rotation function, it dosnt matter where the ball 'points' becouse its round, hence isolations.

Also, a sholder roll in stick, at least by the terminology I use is a compleatly diffrent thing, its a vertical move that runs over the shoulder.

I think Ben hits it on the head, language survives or perishes by its use value, in this context asking steve what he calls it is besides the point, because the use value comes from the other individuals describing to each other, rather than the originator desribing to thoes that follow.

Im afraid your getting mixed up between the singifier and the signified, a perilous trap in the post modern world.

get over it, its just a name, we could call it "that move that glass dosnt like being called the 'steve'" if you want, but its not so snappy.

T

-><- Kallisti

Psiboing
529 posts

Posted:
Yes, that's another interesting point - (and nothing to do with the 'steve' discussion) - people tend to use the term 'roll' interchangably to mean to totaly different types of staff tricks. Since staff are, unlike balls, not symetric in all directions, one can roll them round an axis that is the 'staff axis' (like a steve) or round an axis that is normal to the staff axis (like a elbow roll) ... two vey different things.
It would be nice to have two different words for those .. hmmm any ideas ?

Mike

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
maybe roll for when it rotates around the staff axis and wrap when the staff rotates around a point on the staff

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
true, but staff acess rolling on its own means non spinning, which is an easy desciption in itself. the steve rolls along the acess and around the centrepoint at the same time, do we kneed to differentiate?

T

-><- Kallisti

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
rrraaaagah had a 2 page rant going on and its all been deleted for noooo reason

concentrated version:

drew. tom has it right. get over it.

R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
but nonetheless for being stubborn

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by NYC:
Damn, I got excited because I read 'palm spin to neck wrap' too quickly and thougth it was under 'poi moves'.

Cuz that would be one badass poi move.

tehee.

show you next time you come to europe .

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
tho to tell the truth the palm spin is a little sketchy and its eally the rest of the move before the transfer thats tasty...

R

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Girl, you so CRAZY!

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

mushypeastevemember
11 posts

Posted:
this reply is a little late i know and far be it from me to advise on this matter but i do have a whole load of tips for this move smile
from the palm spin, bring the hand down as the staff passes so that the staff starts to roll onto the wrist at eye level. turning the palm to face outward, push the arm forward to generate roll in the staff. try and keep the centre of the staff to the outside in order that it has sufficient momentum to go round the neck effortlessly.
low and slow is the key here. smile

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
ahhhh! so here is the thread that actually explains what a steve is - both noun and verb versions.

have been playing around with a similar move - now i actually have decent instructions! the amount of times i have twacked myself in the head /face trying to do this....

thanks all!

hug

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

allfiredupstranger
19 posts

Posted:
wow

u look good

u have given me a lot
to think at

wow

ignorance is bliss but knowledge is power

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
this thread makes me biggrin all these years later and somehow fate would have it that ive met almost everyone that posted on here.

*remembers trying to learn contact from that video and what life was like back then*

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
this must have been one of the first threads I replied too! biggrin

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
:P

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
good grief this was from a while ago. it took me a month to get this move back then - now people are picking this up in under an hour!

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
Must have been just before i started that this thread began,
learning them took ages, but now the idea of anti spin steves, or horozontal angel rolls or what ever name they go by dosent seam too strange and infact is easily doable.

I think the reason people are picking stuff up so quickly is that those who show them, have the movement so fluid that its easy to see hows its done and immitate it smile

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
damn right, the summer before last strugz taught me about 3 moves in 1 evening down the pub, jesuses, and a couple of others, I find him a great teacher I can get stuff by watching him once or twice apart from some of the more complicated stuff,

I couldn't do angel rolls properly until megs workshop at play last year and got it really quickly.

being able to watch someone good at the movement REALLY does help people like me.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
aww dude - i never saw this post - im glad you think so! got some cool stick on stick action to show you at play.......

mmmmmm tastey ubbrollsmile

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
damnit!" you're not supposed to see stuff like this... now I'm gonna have to be REALLY cheeky to you to get things back to normal wink

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

JamesandpieBRONZE Member
stranger
12 posts

Posted:
Sorry to bring up a very old post but does anyone have the drewandstaff.avi video referred to in this thread? I can't find it anywhere on the net and hoping that someone has downloaded it and can send it to me? Thanks

Page: