duvanancient oachkatzlschwoaf
248 posts

Posted:
hi folks out there

I was at my first juggling convention ever in waldmünchen , a town in bavaria and who was there ? robert heart

we had a nice time and I tested his spin bo's ..
Is there anyone who has some experience with them ? I think they are really nice but I just didn't have enough money to buy one ...
are they really so much better ?

staff rulz

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:

glass

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
oh dear.
what's a spin-bo look like?
are they expensive?
thanks for raising the topic - i know very little about this invention.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
its a lot like stick wrapped in tape for decoration with a black tennis ball on each end. and a grip in the middle.

quotes:
"its specifically designed to make YOU a better spinner"

"always toss with the palm down"

"I normally sell these for 80 euro
but to you this week only 50 euro."

G

6,978 posts

Posted:
so i take it it's a pricey practice staff? i can't talk for others, but i think i'll stick with my fire stave for the time being.

TheApprovingNinjaFrom the Ashes of a Ninja Rise THE HIPS OF RAGE
371 posts

Posted:
In case anyone missed glass's irony spin bo's are poo. I know we're not being actively mean but they are seriously the worst sticks I've ever had the displeasure of holding. I got to touch one twice and actually shuddred it's really fowl.

It's a dowel wrapped in so much cushion it becomes squidgy like a small child then add some rainbow stuff that's CELLOTAPEd on and some balls spray painted black. That is a spin bow, it is Shit (sorry for swearing but that's the only word to adequalty describe these sticks)

Viva UGLY STAFF

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
I have coninually wondered why there are no pictures of this revolutionary new tool on his website.

A stick is a stick, in my opinion.

The only properties that I would pay for in a staff is resistance to bending and the ability to easily and cleanly break down into more than one piece for transport.

If you want padding, you can put padding on yourself...from what the others have said, you can ever spray paint the tennis balls yourself too!

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

duvanancient oachkatzlschwoaf
248 posts

Posted:
thx for your replies

I had a strange conservation with him and I said that I don't like them because they are too light - he said :

"yeah they are light but only in that way you are able to train muuuuuch more and getting muuuuuch better .."

then I tried some contact stuff and the feeling for that staffs was incredible ... I had no control over them ... told him that they are not good for contacts ... his answer :

" I showed them some contact staffers on the EJC and they all said that is the best staff they ever had in their hands "

because of the fact that I'm a beginner and that he was the first staffer I ever met and that this was my first juggling convention I really wondered if I should believe him . but the love for my good old staff was too big as that I could really love his spin bo's .

bye , may

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
His Spin-bo's were ok. The full length padding is fair enough if, like Robert, you're going to be trying to spin at speeds in excess of 100mph. His style is only one style of many, and most people I know don't spin like him.

I don't think one particular design of staff is going to be the best for everyone - weight, length and grip are all personal choices. And 50 euros is a much for a practice staff, let alone 80 euros! Especially since Mushy Pea Steve sells beautiful fire staves for a lot less and there's quite a bit of kevlar on them.

Finally, considering the fact that I think I knew the only contact staffers at the EJC I find it highly unlikely that one of them said it was the best staff they'd ever seen. Espically as Glass worships his custom staff Steve made him and you'll have to prise bluecat's scratty staves from his cold head hands

6,978 posts

Posted:
Dom, I see that you have constructed your own contact staff. Obi-wan has taught you well.

371 posts

Posted:
I'm sorry Dom but I'm going to have to re-iterate as a guy that does lots of contact staff that they suck ALOT like more that the new laura croft movie. And unless there were some contact stick people hiding under a shrub at the european, which is possible, no one said they were the best sticks they'd ever held. Quite a bit the opposite actually

Viva UGLY STAFF

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by duvan:

then I tried some contact stuff and the feeling for that staffs was incredible ... I had no control over them ... told him that they are not good for contacts ... his answer :

" I showed them some contact staffers on the EJC and they all said that is the best staff they ever had in their hands "

almost enough to make me phone that man and give him(another)piece of my mind

love y'all
R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

KnoxiousGOLD Member
420 posts

Posted:
oh dear...at Rotterdam he was pushing his new "Juggling Staff"....that too was crap.

But did anyone see his glow staff? No flashing/programmable craziness, but some funky colours all over it...and when it's spun, as the stick turns in your hand, the colours "change".

I thought it wasn't bad really....I was drunk tho

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Actually his glostaff seemed to be a pretty good. Probably not as hardy as other glo staves, but multi coloured and did the job well enough.

Ali-birdmember
102 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Glåss:
quotes:
"its specifically designed to make YOU a better spinner"

"always toss with the palm down"

Oh my god, I HAVE to meet this guy. What planet is he on?!

Why is it that everthing which is fun is illegal, immoral, or fattening?

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Before you meet him, have a trawl through his website, if you haven't already.

Here's a thread linking to and discussing it at length...

The non-actively mean robert heart experience

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

371 posts

Posted:
Yes his sticks did glow but he wouldn't let anyone else touch them so I can't say much else.

Viva UGLY STAFF

Ali-birdmember
102 posts

Posted:
Thanks Charles, had a look. Blimey.

Why is it that everthing which is fun is illegal, immoral, or fattening?

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Dõm:

Espically as Glass worships his custom staff Steve made him and you'll have to prise bluecat's scratty staves from his cold head hands

oi.

but incidentally... what are 'cold head hands'?

R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
cold DEAD hands....

seriousely, I like the idea of tenis balls on the ends for experimental spinning.... so as to put an eye out....

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
I don't get the tennis ball idea at all?

Surely makeing pseudo-wicks like sponge covered in denim or other material would have the stick behave more like a fire staff, and still be pretty 'safe' from a thwacking point of view?

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

371 posts

Posted:
you'd think that but the you wouldn't be thinking THE ROBERT HEART WAY. The best bit is that he has spray painted them black so as to remove any excitingness from them and they're attached to the stick with electrical tape. I want to buy one just to put up in my workshop as an example of how not to make a stick

Viva UGLY STAFF

Evildmanmember
46 posts

Posted:
Personally I do pad the ends of my very heavy practice staff, mainly so I don't break things when I screw up. For me a coupla pair of old socks wrapped around the end like wicks, and duct taped into place works just peachy:)

We are all atheists, some of us just believe in fewer gods than others. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
-Stephen F. Roberts