Page:
Tanessamember
91 posts

Posted:
My goodness. I just had a spin with a staffer I met (good one at that) and holy crap!!! He had the heaviest staff I have ever played with. I could hardly spin it. He had a 6' and myself a 4' staff. I mean, I really thought that if I went to the gym and pumped weight everyday, I may be able to spin that thing. Six of my staffs were the equivilant weight to his one. He was using a really thick alluminum rod (felt more like copper to me) with a whole douling inside. Plus, his staff was really fat, and his grip was huge. These things make things like fingertwirls harder to do. My staff is so light, like air I always say.

So, what I want to know is HOW HEAVY IS YOUR STAFF?

Twisthem488member
187 posts

Posted:
after i lost my toothpick staff in a fire i got a bo staff for Tae Kwon Do. its a couple of pounds, but swings nicely. althought i miss the toothpick, that thing was cool.

Im a Thespian, But I'll Act Normal Around You Guys

EveishGOLD Member
*Tickles pretty strangers*
610 posts

Posted:
Most people I know seem to really like big heavy sticks, but MY favorite set of sticks, are really light weight thin doubles, also really short (90cm) I find the nicest staffs are light but well weighted at both ends for quicker spinning wink
but then, I am a tiny person...
If someone gives me huge long heavy staff to play with, I tend to drop it, or hurt myself.
Also, I do ALOT of finger spinning so I like thin grips for my little hands
smile

Eveish

What if I should fall right through the centre of the Earth and come out the other side where people walk upside-down?!

nativeSILVER Member
sleeping with angels
508 posts

Posted:
my first staff was supper heavy no joke it was made of steal then my second one was wood. and know i have alumim with grafite

SLEEP WITH ANGELS muckieha

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
My stix are heavey - mainly for the same reason as the Ninja, helps loads for contact...............

Use heavey doubles too, it makes you real good at arm wrestling wink

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
lol,

i used a med weight stick, been told by somepeople i respect my staffs are to heavy, others tell me they are to light

but i lke tham biggrin

Step (el-nombrie)

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
learn contact with a light stick and ull be able to do it with any stick u pick up

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
Just Pick a wieght that's right for YOU smile

Me
x

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
bams is right

by example bens and bams sticks are to light for me, choose one that you feel good iwth

Step (el-nombrie)

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
and one that wont ko pretty girls when they play with it tongue

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
are you refering to that all of my sticks have hit bams in teh face when she has triedto use my weights, and so wont use my sticks anymore ?

Step (el-nombrie)

ChumpyBRONZE Member
78 posts

Posted:
I made mine in San Fran after not having anything to do...took a couple of attempts...broke the first one busking(but a got a dollar just for that! A niche in the busking-market perhaps?confused), snapped the second one pratising to kick it up with my heels off the floor..
For my current staff I chose thicker aluminium because it had to go through airports and being dropped as I'd only been doing it for 2 months. I've found a good weight for me, it just hurts like hell when I hit myself spank. Plus I've just rewicked it with 4 times the amount of wick as the last one, it was only ickle..

But my staff does feel alot heavier than most peoples I've used...to answer the original question....and I'll eventually stop rambling...and go to bed....it's 4am...this insomnia is driving me nuts...maybe I'll go fire-dance?...or invent a cure for hitting yourself in the head with a heavy fire-staff...I did it ubbidea...turns out its practise...celebratory drink beerchug

Health is a secondary consideration when you have a lifestyle to maintain

Not seen a Banana do Double staff in the woods? You obviously weren't at that party!

'my guess would be staffers dont waste time talking bollox' - strugz

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
my favorite stick is heavy and one and half meters

Love is the law.

originalsmitSILVER Member
addict
469 posts
Location: nottingham, england. cornwall wales denmark or pra...

Posted:
i have 2 staffs, one is very thin and about 5 "6' its kinda old and quite light
the other which i made with my first paycheque is about 6" and 1 1/4 inch wide, and wooden cored so its very heavy, i made it specifically as with the lighter staff was finding it hard to maintain momentum through contact moves like the steve, the advantage is that the smaller staff is easier to budge round when it passes your neck

my original signature was tooo long.
this one is shorter

BozBRONZE Member
sober
109 posts

Posted:
i've got 5 staffs, two bought ally ones, which are lightest, they're fine for everythign i do.
then i have my big 4" wicked one, made of rake handle, bout 1" wide... pretty hefty
an ally with full dowel core, thats kinda average, slightly thinner, then another ally dowel cored one, which is about half the width? and that ones lethal, much heavier than you'd think to look at it, and goes hell fast. leaves big bumps if you hit yourself in the face. ouch.
don't really have nay prefernece for weight though, other than that my heavier sticks are more of a workout.

*produces sandwich- is happy*

PhreakArmadanewbie
13 posts

Posted:
ive always used heavy stick and love it smile

although when i move to a broomstick or somehting similar as light my wmoves are way to fast to be controlled

makes me feel like jackie chan

Frederick the RecklessBRONZE Member
Troupe Leader and founder, Fire and Steel
241 posts

Posted:
currently building a naginata for chroeographed fire weapons combat. it's two pieces of 3/4" EMT conduit, and it will likely weigh about 7 lbs. and stands at 6 feet long. the reason for the weight: it's two pieces nearly the same length, bolted together side by side for rigidity. the thing is gonna be a monster, and i look forward to seeing what it looks like in motion!

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

Page: