beaujolaismember
10 posts

Posted:
yeh hi,

i stumbled across a somewhat revelation today. in the past i have had trouble getting wick to use on my staff, so it got me thinking.
i was sitting in front of the fireplace and i noticed how the seal on the inside of the door doesn't catch on fire on char from the heat.

you guys are probably all pros and have likely already thought of this material and tried it out. but my question is, would it be ok to use? it kind of looks like it would be made of tiny fibre-glass fibres all woven together.

this obviously applies to poi and any other fire toy. so sorry if i posted it in the wrong discussion forum thingy.

thanks to all who reply and share their opinion

hmmm

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
Those seals are usually fibre glass..... and very expensive. I think it would be much more expensive to use than regular kevlar belt wick.

Not sure about the safety aspect of using this.

So much fire, so little body hair...

beaujolaismember
10 posts

Posted:
the nearest place that sells kevlar wick for me is an entire state away. so this material seems like a viable alternative.

i did notice that it sprays the fuel around a bit. this was 'before' i lit them up. so maybe the glass fibre rope can't absorb and keep the fuel in. like it leeks or something.

ideas?

hmmm

Taniwhamember
138 posts

Posted:
Yea, i used that crap before, its no good, as it actually burns and after 2-3 runs it flys apart in hundreds of piece's. Dangerous but where i am its cheap so... cant complain. U'd be better off paying up front and getting some kev, its worth it and lasts years. Just use dennim or towell till your order arrives.

Theres a dennim/ towell thread running round here somewhere.

Its all just smoke and mirrors

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
probibly somewhere other than the staff forum? maybe technical discussion?

otherwise dont use fiberglass! as tiwana says its comes apart and its fiberglass, you dont want to be breathing heavily in a cloud of that stuff! Its very very carconegenic, very bad idea!

Tom :concerned:

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Taniwhamember
138 posts

Posted:
sry yea... here it is
materials for wick

Its all just smoke and mirrors

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
quote:
the nearest place that sells kevlar wick for me is an entire state away
Acroham...after checking out the link above (I think denim might be a good choice), call up the place that is a "state away" and check how much they would charge for the wick you would buy if they were in your neighbouhood.

Don't forget to check width and thickness too.

Then find out how much it would cost to use one of the other alternative materials (eg denim).

Then, after that, go Here and do the same.

I think you might find that HoP is one of the cheapest places in the world to buy wick, and sometimes, even with frieght costs, it can be on a par with other solutions.

An example here is that the wick at the local juggling shop (closed now) used to be NZ$12 a foot. The same wick in the HoP shop is now NZ$3.33 !!!!!!

Humour me please and see what numbers you get, you could be very pleasantly surprised...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Original Pyromember
26 posts

Posted:
Towelling works a bit. U get a bigger flame, and it burns out after a few spins, but it works and is cheaper. Plus material from fire blankets works.

Take the power back

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
How can towelling be cheaper if it only lasts a few burns...that sounds expensive to me

And proper fireblankets, in NZ at least, aren't very absorbent, as well as being horrendously expensive.

Could you describe what the fireblanket looks like and some of it's specs please?

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

kazanewbie
29 posts

Posted:
Have used old denim from jeans many times before I got myself a stock of kevlar.

Fyrefli International is very good and they supply distributers all over the world, including oddballs etc in england and companies in america. When I met the bloke he was in the process of sending an order of about 1000 fire juggling balls to america.

Prices are very reasonmable. GBP5.25 for a meter of 100mm wick (compared to USD4.00 per foot from HoP)I visited him when I lived in Bristol, where it is based and he sold it to me at GBP£2.50 per meter.

[url=https://www.fyrefli.com/spares.htm}fyrefli wick[/wick]

Apperently he makes most of the wick used by other companies and I have seen the 65mm wick in oddballs and Bristol Kite Shop for £7-8 per meter.

If you email him he is likely to come to some sort of good arrangement for you, if it at all vialble to send it all the way across the atlantic. Or at least he will let you know of any suppliers he knows of in your area.

His email is FFli@aol.com and his name is Chris. Good luck

Original Pyromember
26 posts

Posted:
Just a suggestion, Charles my man. No need to get up tight. Ice ice baby.

Take the power back