Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > i'm a beginer! two handed spin

Login/Join to Participate

cyberspinmember
21 posts

Posted:
hi all,
i have been practicing poi for a while and now have taken up staff as well. i have a question, or more like two!

with the two handed spin i get the gist of rolling it from thumb to thumb palms up and then grabbing it palms facing each other hands still crossed under the staff, but in the video i also see her push it along with the back of the hand befor grabbing it, does this come with practice?

also with the basic figure of eight in the side plane i see her doing an extra spin behind her hip befor bringing it to the front of her body, how is this possible? (or am i hullicinating)

cheers!!

(favourite quote from star wars that i heard on a cool hard house track... luke - how do i know the do side from the bad?)

Better to reign in hell than serve in heaven (John Milton)I am the answer to all questions and cause of all problems!

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
yes teh pushing with the back of your hand comes with practise, as you get better you will be able to do it really fast with very little effort, the key is finding the rythem of the movement which comes with being able to keep it twirling about the same spot.

its the first time ive looked at the figure 8 video, i would actually call that movement a figure 8 but anyway basically what she does is let her hand keep spinning behind her back until it cant go any further then drags her arm back in front (u can do it super fast with practise) it takes alot of practise to get it consistently

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
You can do an extra spin in front too

Meh

cyberspinmember
21 posts

Posted:
Thank you that does make sense,

my two handed spin is getting better i just have to learn it in reverse!

another question too, with the video link page i can get the real player links to work but not the
othe video streamer. any ideas?

thanx guys, it's so good of you peeps and peepets to help!

rememember, the power of the dark side is strong, hmmmmm?

Better to reign in hell than serve in heaven (John Milton)I am the answer to all questions and cause of all problems!

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
interesting i can only get hte non realplayer ones to work. the other i save it to my computer by right clicking on the link then save as, much better than streaming from the site

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
cyberspin, methinks it's time to download an update for your media player. if you are amongst the 90% of computer users out there, then downloading a newer microsoft windows player will be an easy option for ya matey!

and remember, when you are learning the basics, keep practicing them even as you extend yourself into the advanced moves. Going this extra step will ensure muscle memory of the foundation movements, paying great dividends for your fluidity and grace later on!!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Xtremely Flameablemember
95 posts

Posted:
When I started out using staff I got told that doing that extra tiny bit on figure 8 when you bring it in front of you is like extra beats or something.

I have it down perfectly now I just gotta work with it more left handed. But as they say Practice makes perfect.

When a man lies, he murders some part of the world.

cyberspinmember
21 posts

Posted:
thank you all,
thats so interseting what you say with muscle memory, i have learnt this from teaching myself poi and now moving on to staff that even if it feels srtange doing it or its realy hard the more you do it the easier it becomes, and that this learning curve can even happen over a few minutes or a few trys. i also find that when i force mtself to do a trick when mr brain is not use to the movement i get a funny buzz from it. i'm talking crap now.

XanathBRONZE Member
67 posts

Posted:
bo actually what you are saying makes sense. if you force yourself and try to hard it may feel wierd and strange. ive been doing staff for 6 months now and the best way to leran is to just play around with your staff. start with what feels familiar to you and just build into new stuff. also the staff section was very helpful. some of the moves though would be impossible to learn if you try to hard. i definetly agree with you though. poi is somewhat less difficult for me as well when it comes to learning new moves.

Power percieved is power achieved.