Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > little help if you please.........

Login/Join to Participate

Edanmember
6 posts

Posted:
A friend of mine told me about this site, and it's pretty cool. Anyway, I'm really new to all of this, and I've been reading through some of the posts and I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what the best way to start with staff. everything I know comes from rifle flipping, which is quite diffent from staff.......so if anyone can help......

I don't have a favorite saying, I don't know why...........

dj_gooseSunburnt Bournda Beach Bum
157 posts

Posted:
I think the way everybody starts using staff is to steal your mothers broom handle, break a few light bulbs in the house before realizing that it is best done outside and just getting used to the wieght, length and spin of normal wood. U could try weighting the ends if u wish, but it shouldn't be nessesary if u are just starting. Anyway, u just progress from that. Enjoy it chief and try not to set the family cat on fire (it ****in stinks!!!!!!)

Goose>

Look to the moon, look to the stars, and if you still can't find happyness...find a bar!!!

Edanmember
6 posts

Posted:
I got the whole going out side and I have made my own staffs.......the thing is I just don't know how to turn the staff I know into something that won't set me ablaze......you know what I mean??

Psiboing
529 posts

Posted:
Hi Edan,

a good place to start for basic staff moves are the lessons on HoP:
Staff Lessons (HoP)
Also check out the
video forums
and the
https://www.homeofpoi.com/poiavi's.htm
HoP video archive

Many of the moves in there are pretty advanced, but there will be some easy ones too.

Once you got the basic moves down you'll find it easier to understand tricks described in words in the forums. A good thing to remember is to always start practicing a new moves with both hands, rather than getting it solid with one and then go to the other. In the latter case one hand will always remain weaker then the other, at least in my own experience. It helps a lot later for doubles as well!

But most importantly: just have fun!

Mike

romanmember
4 posts

Posted:
hey there edan, another good idea to get better is to go to this link on this site:
roll your mouse over Community , scroll down to Meet Others, and select Search. Then, fill it in, make sure to select the teacher check box and the field you wish to learn, and hopefully someone will reply and help you out in your area. and if you ever happen to come to the New York City area, contact me, i can teach you the basics, i am not too good at advanced stuff, but i can teach you basics.
goodnight and farewell
-tata
-Roman

good times, bad times, playing with fire is always a good thing to do...

Edanmember
6 posts

Posted:
thanks you guys!! I'm going to have to go and check that all out.

tpmember
10 posts

Posted:
Try a simple figure of 8.
Hold the staff with your thumb pointing to the end, then move the end in front of you in a big figure of 8 across the front of your body. So if your right handed it goes in a horizontal figure of 8 in front of your body. Its hard to describe but try it and i'm sure you'll figure it out mate. Next time you see someone doing staff ask them to show you some moves and practise unlit until you feel confident
Peace

p.a mccormack

Xtremely Flameablemember
95 posts

Posted:
Yeah the simple figure of 8 is the first move I done. Another good one to try is the full 360 degrees in each hand.

Then you should try and get the figure of 8 in reverse.

XF

When a man lies, he murders some part of the world.

Mike McDonaldmember
2 posts

Posted:
usually to start out with fire, once u are able to spin a staff and not thwack yourself in the head. Find your moms broomstick,bout 5 feet Then, find some army belts and wrap em around the ends, then take a bunch of nails and pound the belts into the staff (hold the nails with pliers, as u will need force)....this is the most cheapest way possible to make a firestaff...only problem is that it will only last you several sessions with it till it's bunt up or the wick comes flying off from being burnt up, but it's cheap if your lazy and broke such as me...HOORAY!.....

Mike McDonaldmember
2 posts

Posted:
you shouldn't burn yourself up either...the flame is damn near harmless....it's pussified