Mingmember
4 posts

Posted:
Hey i've been trying some moves using 4 staves at the mo. To do it's like doind out of time four ball juggling with high throws.
This gives you enough time to spin the other two staves around. So far i can only manage 20-30 secs. Has anyone else been trying anything similar?

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Seen a guy doing it at the Swingers nights in London a few weeks ago. It was very

Mostly it was standard doubles type moves with two staffs in each hand, and regular tosses of staffs back and forth between the hands.

Also a few of devilstick type moves, and shifting the staffs alignment from cross to ummm... not a cross.

He was using short (3foot-ish) staves, and they were pretty thin too, so he could have anything up to three in his hand at once.

Don't think he's a HoP poster tho'

(oh, and Stitch does quadruple fire-staff in Lilo and Stitch, but he A) has four arms B) is an alien c) is an entirely fictional cartoon thing)

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Mingmember
4 posts

Posted:
Was he doing them in like a fire cross sort of way or more like juggling?

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Kind of a mix.

He never did any cascade or flash style throwing frenzies, there were never more than two staffs in the air at any time.

He was throwing most of the time, but not constantly, if you see what i mean.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
heard tales of fingerspinng fourstaff crazies at burning man, but never saw it.

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
This gives me an idea.

How about a game called 4 staff contact?

People get to hold 4 staffs in any manner they like at the start. EG on in each hand, one on the back of the neck and one on the top of the head.

Somone blows a whistle or fires a gun and you have to swap at least two staffs into each other's position or into 2 totall different positions without dropping any.

Glass, Nix, Miniero??? Want to give it a go...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

TyrGOLD Member
Simplicity Convoluter & Cabbage Friend
126 posts
Location: In the shadow of the wolf (somewhere over melbourn...

Posted:
If you physicall join the staffs into crosses it make life much simpler. Throwing is twice as easy as it is almost imposable to fumble a catch but everything else is much harder as you only have half the gap to fit your body through. Lots of fun though and has definate contact staff potential but again is also very limiting. But no, yay you I've nevry seen anyone do throw combos above two staffs. I can almost juggle 4 balls but am hopless at that, so 4 fire staves with a high enough throw to do a flourish spin must be very impressive.

“What are you creatures of Fantastica? Dreams, poetic inventions, characters in a neverending story.”
Gmork
‘The Neverending Story’

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
im up for it.....

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
4? now that's just greedy. Some starving performers only have one *sniff

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
with a lot of effort and concentration I can sort of get 4 pens going 2 in each hand via finger passing. I have managed to hit opposite and same directions before and I think direction changes are possible. Ofcourse it's boreing as hell learning anything super difficult pen spinning wise and it's really difficult because they carry no momentum unless they go really fast. But I think I might be able to pull something off with a lot of practice and 4 really thin staves.

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Ok guys, nix has taken up the challenge, anyone else in his approximate location to challenge him??

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

TyrGOLD Member
126 posts

Posted:
I'll leave da throwing to you guy's - I'm working on da contact...It's goooooood - dbl crosses gives you some interesting locks.

“What are you creatures of Fantastica? Dreams, poetic inventions, characters in a neverending story.”
Gmork
‘The Neverending Story’

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
hows about four crosses...since you are in the four staves thread

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

TyrGOLD Member
126 posts

Posted:
Have tried, do-able but again it's messy and ouchie - had a bruse across the back of my head for a week last time I tried. Seems to work best when stagared (I use 'best' in a tentative sense - need much more practice with 4 staffs before I hit four crosses.
P.s. has anyone elso tried to make a pivet joint in the centre to go between the two - I worked a way out but the mechinism wasn't good and kept eating my hands ouchies.

Gmork
‘The Neverending Story’

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
While walking down the street in Es Cana (Ibiza) one night holding two sticks in one hand I worked out a way of spinning one stick in that hand at twice the speed of the other in that hand...learned the swap side buso and now I can do a figure eight with one stick while doing a double figure eight with the other stick in the same hand...pretty neat.

Its a good technique for lighting the doubles (collapsable crosses) as you can start with one ball and then with a flick of the thumb light the other end...then transition to doubles, and then double crosses... Its all good fun really!

The trick is easy. Hold the sticks together in your hand. You will notice that upon applying opposing force from your fingers to one stick and your thumb to the other the staves will open like scissors (or not, depending on the configuration of your crosses sticks...one way they do it, the other way is the opposite movement). If you do it and then do a sneaky half-palm spin you have what I'm talking about.

Anyone else doing this? I think it could lend itself to doing four sticks quite well, although I havent tried it.

Josh

Firetwirlermember
20 posts

Posted:
i did 4 staffs. the only problem is that it will get realy hot in there hehe and there are not manny moves i know.
A good thing to try though is to put a rubber flexible string around both sticks in the middle (i used an baloon) and tie it up. if you start with 2 sticks next to each other in a hand and throw tham up in the air so they will split up in a cross.

and becouse they are "attached" to each other you can more easy do "normal" double staff moves with it.

Enjoy! it rocks!!!
Do not try to do 4 staffs and 2 poi's at the same time.... i managed 2 stricks and burned all my hair afterwards

Cheers!

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
That's exellent Josh, if done smoothly while spinning it would be positivley beautifull.

I know you are travelling at the mo and probably haven't got acces to your computer but if you can possible email me a very short vid I would be most appreciative. I will have some new server space after the weekend too so you could even upload it if I give you the passwords.

Good to see you on the boards too, keep sending those mails, they make me so geleous

Love to you both