i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Well I built myself a new staff that is a little better weighted and won't bend in the middle (my last one just had wood dowel about 2/3 of the way through, leaving the middle open). Its weighted almost exactly like my old one but rolls better. So anyway, I decided to give this whole doubles thing a go.

I just learned this poi move that is remarkably similar to whatever I just learned with doubles (I think its a figure 8, but I don't know yet). So I picked up this move pretty fast, and started going pretty fast... Alright, cool, I got the hang of this, no prob.... FUH-WHACK staff to the head. Ow! Hey whats this red stuff... oh oh.

So here I sit giving Reiki to my eyebrow which has a 1/2 inch gash now. The funny thing is... I have done this three times now, at the exact same place... I must have some kinda gov't installed plate in my head that attracts aluminum or a blind spot in my left eye or something... this is getting old.

Still, LOVE DOUBLES. I havn't felt this much excitment with my stalves since I learned contact from some of the videos here.

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
thats what I love about staffs, you can practice them as slow as you like

glad you having fun with doubles and hope the wound heals well

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
no pain no gain!

Your life is ending one minute at a time...
So live it.

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
I'm sure its technically possible to have gain without pain, but the two do seem to be closely related. Doubles are currently making my shoulders make funny noises while i try to go to sleep. No blood yet though (touch wood)

I agree with Tempest on the going slow thing. Once you can do moves slow without hitting yourself, you'll find doing it fast is pretty much the same. If you try to do it as fast as you can too soon then thats how red stuff happens. i definitely understand the temptation though

ah b0ll0cks to giving advice, its all obvious anyway. Have fun, two sticks are possibly the best toys in the world, but don't shout about it too much or everyone'll want them

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Definitely slow it down...Everything I work on now I do for several weeks at a slow pace, and it increases fluidity and consistencey no end.

Whereas, when I was first learning the figure 8 (Many moons ago!) I tried to do it really fast right at the start.

Now I have a tendency to hit myself below the left kneecap when doing a fast figure8, sometimes when busking, especially if I'm out of practice, I'll hit myself in the same place several times and it HURTS!

Also, if you are getting facial swipes, try to cover the screws or whatever it is that cutting you with some cloth, at least for practice...

hope you heal quickly.

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
I saw this thread and thought it was about me! Then I realised how crap I am at doubles, and realised it probably wasn't

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Haha its ok I seem to be crap with them. I have gotten a few moves down slow now with doubles... the thing is I use heavy stalves, 1" in diameter so its kinda hard on the shoulders. I even have been working on double elbow rolls and kinda have that, though I can't do it forward yet.

And the eye is healing well. Wasnt as bad as I thought. However I started over compensating and kinda "whisked" by another area that was unpleasent... but we won't go into that.