King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
Anyone tried passing staffs? I've practised it a lot recently with my flatmate in bristol(uk) & its pretty cool (and lethal! ), either one or two at a time. There are masses of combos to try- contact passing, throws... whatever!

Its just an idea i wanted to bring up and see if anyone else has done any/knows or can think of any really interesting ways of passing...

Cheers
Ben

PS If you haven't tried it, its great- especially because you can be spinning one staff, then do doubles until your arms ache and switch back to one again, or even have a break with none in between!!!
PPS Piece of advice, if you do try it after reading this post, make sure both of you know exactly what is going on!

Your life is ending one minute at a time...
So live it.

AyellayenThe smart-arse who kisses Rouge's
128 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I've thrown/swapped staffs with some friends, it's pretty cool launching a flaming staff 8 metres to be caught by a mate.
Actually, i should do it more often.

It's my world - you all just happen to live in it.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
ben, have you checked out the pass @ 1:34 on jez's new video?

interesting ways of passing...?

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
I've been playing around with some staff stealing with Uzeall recently, tiss lots of fun

It's interesting when you throw in some double person contact....although not good when the double person contact staff hits you in the face (I might need learn a bit more before I try that again ).

I've yet to see this video although from what I hear it's well worth watching.

The horrid people at work won't let me view video clips Ohh what is a girl to do

Bammers

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
cheers coleman, I have to say, that is one funky pass from Jez!
have tried very few passes using legs, mainly sidekick type things, I think i'll just go away and practice random stuff for a while (if i try passing it will consist entirely of throwing my staff against a wall seeing as I'm in madrid for a couple of weeks and know no-one here who does any staff!)
nice one
Ben

So live it.

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
* whips out his PETS(People for the Ethical Treatment of Staffs/Staves) badge, and nods coolly to the waiting guards *

I'll handle this one guys...

Might I suggest a slightly fluffier catching partner??

* quickly knits a bouncy rope net from pocket lint and tacks it up to the wall *

Carry on, then..

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Throws are great fun...even the simple ones that are really easy. Throws with a staff each are even more fun than one staff between two people...

If you aren't already doing it...

Try throwing with flat palms, one staff goes high, the other goes low.

Also throwing from right hand of each person, staff upright like a flagpole, to their left hand. (like passing juggling clubs)

Stand facing each other and each person throw a rotor on your right fairly high, then catch their throw in your left.

Doubles throwing is GREAT for crowds and non-firies. Simply do basic doubles and throw the staffs in quick succession to a partner who catches them (fingers crossed), does small doubles routine and throws them back again.
For a real wow factor, keep the throws close together and no more than 10 seconds of double-work by each individual.

Then, of course, you move into doubles throwing where each person has a set of doubles, and you exchange staffs in the middle of the pattern. This one isn't as easy as the others and requires a resonable amount of practice.

That's my 12.5 cents worth...hopefully it's helped for options, even if everyone else is already doing it...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
HOLEEEEEE BUUUUJEEEEEEZUS!

you people are PASSING STAFFS ? doesn't that hurt your bungholes? i've heard of "passing gas" and "passing kidney stones" but man, you fire dancers always got to take it one step further...

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
j00 silly poi person...

Howza bouts a horizontal throw that ppl catch back to back? Donna have anyone here that could catch, but couldsa be ez

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
A really quite silly one, that often hurt when we tried it was back to back, one throws vertically high, other low... if you try this one, be prepared!
A personal easy favourite is doing a two-staff routine and passing both at the same time facing each other rather than in rapid succession, it looks really good when on fire as its all in sync & parallel
haven't tried it with more as I'm lacking the facilities! (have to save up and make two more staffs!)

So live it.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yo, me an minero tried a while ago 4 staff continious passing. Managed to get 11 throws and catches. thats fun....

N

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
sick...

So live it.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
+) (or the artist formerly known as Nix) Where you using a standard club juggling pattern (i.e. pass, self, pass, self) or some other combo?

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Trippie HippieBRONZE Member
old hand
733 posts

Posted:
I saw Glass doing some nice two man passing at PIP, if only he was here to describe it It was one of his contact moves, the one that goes over/under his arms/elbows infront of him (at 31 seconds on the vid)
Hopefully he'll wander in and describe it later *hint, hint*
LOL
Taking it easy
Trippy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last night i met some pixies and we danced around a stone.
High Class Hippy No:1
N.E.W.B. Agent #012
"I Got Soul"
Non-Https Image Link

Trippie Hippie- Monty Dons secret love child

Fly like a mouse, run like a pillow, be the small book case.

"Last night i met some pixies and we danced around a stone".

Because dressing up is fun.