Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > New to staff - hand position for twirl in front

Login/Join to Participate

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Just started staff and tis getting exciting now.
Simple question...
In Xaeda's lessons, I think it's the first one. when twirling in front of you doing them 360 degree turns in each hand, should you learn to do it with both left hand on top and right hand on top? Or is being comfortable in one way sufficient?

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
i'd recommend learning it in as many variations as you can, as with all poi and staff moves - hand on top, underneath, beside etc. I think it was arashi who got me thinking about the possibilities of hand positions when doing, for example, the butterfly - it opened up a number of new possibilities for transitions and playing around

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
its possible to do it all ways, and others we dont know about.

If your starting, id get used to doing it the way that feels good, at least at first, the more dedicated nailing-of-the-variations can come later, have some fun first.

I dont really do the 360 rotor thing, but if I do its easist for me with the hand doing the thumb extention on top. its definatly more awkward to cross the hands.

have seen this trick look superb, this guy id oz just stood there and span the staff really really fast. thats all he did, but it was cool.

L8r

N?

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Ok, good question DeepSoulSheep. The description is by Bec. My advice would be to follow Bec’s description for the hand positions, and get a good solid clockwise and anticlockwise “rotor”in front. For sure, try btb passes, the staff windmill, btb rotor etc, but work initially, from Bec’s original hand positions. Once you get them solid, then go for the variations as Ade and Nix have suggested. You can get Bec and Elke’s book from the HoP shop.
Hope this helps.
Cheers

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
me and my stick:my story:my method:dont follow its not even a guide.

1: pick up stick and or sticks.
2: twirl stick and or sticks.
3: if some thing didnt work and hit my self or looked a little dodgy, then it isnt right or needs work.
4: trial and error.
5: practice will make perfectish!!
6: one day i will be like that mineiro.

i have never been given a staff lesson, never realy been showed how unless forced against my will by tempest in a frock, never watched a staff tutorial. i learn visually wether its a hand grip or a move. its not all that hard, you have a hold of it and you can move it and manipulate it on what ever plane or direction you wish it to go. i wish i loved my sticks more a long time ago, but for now they are my love and light.

be kewl mr sheep, bon voyage, just dont burn down the ship with your flaming stick

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Thanks all. Stick is rocks!!!

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

becBRONZE Member
521 posts

Posted:
everyone will have hand positions that are more comfortable and a technique that suits them best personally...

One idea though, particularly if you are just starting, is to find any one way to do it (eg as it is described in the lessons, or your own version) so that you are getting maximum amount of spin for minimum amount of movement/effort... and slowly build up fluency/fluidity with this direction/set of positions to form a base to work from...
then once you have this really comfortable then it is time to break all the rules - ie changing directions, positions, number of revolutions, adding finger spins and hand wraps and experiment in ways that you don't even think are possible...
but I think it is useful to take small steps and cement one direction/set of positions first...

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
agreed

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti