Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Double staff and poi = 6 burning balls of woshiness

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Motaddict
666 posts

Posted:
Hi peeps,

Discovered a new one, or at least I hav'nt seen it preformed. Holding a staff and poi in one hand, you can get them going so the poi dos'nt get hopelessy intangled with the staff. The only thing that really worked was forward outside the arm to inside the arm. If you have relativelly short poi ya can get both hands going. And bang six balls of flame. Hav'nt tried it with fire yet but the theory works. Has anyone else tried it and is the more moves you can do. Turning 360 works aswell until you try to stop. Single staff and one poi is funny too.

Nough zed.
T.

Come forth and thou shalt win enternal happiness. but he came fifth so he won an electric toatser.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
hmmm yep me and tempest have been playing round with this for a while now...not really much you can do other than turning round, stops, weaves...anyway whole thing is severely limited so i found that for performance i much prefer two poi and 1 staff that you can switch from hand to hand... hehe
R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

KnoxiousGOLD Member
420 posts

Posted:
I've seen it done at the Outback Eclipse festival November last year, some crazy Japanese guy was doing it....
Yeah, it's a bit limited in terms of moves that you can do with it, but he set it up really nicely, building progressively ffrom single staff to doubles to having the poi/doubles at the end. Was quite nice the way he did it....

[ 17. February 2003, 01:59: Message edited by: Knoxious ]

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
hey.. he was cool - didya see his mad fire pants?

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
agreed, played around with this ages ago and again recently, but i find it too limiting to be 'fun' if someone shows me some wicked moves with it i might change my mind....

N

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:

that's about all I have to say.

BamBam

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
hmmm - I can do this too. So can everyone else that uses double staves.

Honestly, I find it all a bit "look at me! look at me!" and lacks finesse and fluidity.

I'm one of the true firedancers Technicality has never meant much to me, and as a result things that look ungainly and/or choppy just don't get added into my repetoir.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
erm so you can do this too flash???
quote:
Honestly, I find it all a bit "look at me! look at me!" and lacks finesse and fluidity.

so why do and / or try it.
quote:
I'm one of the true firedancers Technicality has never meant much to me
define true fire dancer to me? technicality still comes into it if you care to put your self in to a catagory! after all were all doing some thing that your average person woudnt do. we spin sticks and balls, that makes us technical to the average.
quote:
and as a result things that look ungainly and/or choppy just don't get added into my repetoir.
but you tried it, and bragged that you can do it, therefor is in your repetoir.... you just may not toy any more.

dont mean to offend you in anyway.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
okay PK. you wanna do this?

please allow me to painstakingly dissect my post, re-dissect it and add some defensive notes and points of clarification in there. Nah - screw that. I'll just rant back at you.

Yes, I have tried this. Yes I can do it and have therefore come to the conclusion that I don't like it. Yes, I have seen more than 20 different individuals also try this and have never once seen anything other than what seems to be directionless flailing about and hoping for the best. Bragging? Sorry, I didn't notice that I had my cock in my hand.... O that's right - I didn't.

And dude - be serious? Just because you have tried something doesn't mean it forms part of your repertoir. You're just padding out your friendly attack saying stuff like that. Can someone that has tried herion once be considered a junkie? same thing.

Firedancer - Note the italics? I'm a firedancer, not a firespinner. Yes, technicality naturally forms part of being a firedancer "compared to the average person" (splitting hairs here, yeah?), but only to an extent. For me, it's about the movement of my body and the fire; not attempting the most difficult tricks and fingerspins. For me, firedancing is about fluid motion and dancing.

anyway, no offense has been taken. lucky my back is strong, otherwise I'd have to ask you very nicely to remove yourself from it.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
i dont like it either flash, dont get me wrong, i've never tried it but have seen it done and agree pointless it is and very ugly, then i think that of cross staves too. its unlike mixing clubswinging with club jugging, that can some times be pretty impressive.

quote:
you just may not toy any more.
some people are still learning.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
in the small defense of poi-doublestaves, it's novel to confuse onlookers with it - it's hard to distinquish the firetoys when the transitions are done well. yeah, it's no performance climax though

in the small defense of saddam, he makes for a damn funny episode of Terrance and Phillip.

ohh devil's advocate was a terrible movie but a nice role.

hooray for pre-matrix Keanu; we still like you man!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
bender - have you ever considered a career in peace negotiation through distraction?

i reckon you could quash this impending war with no more than six sentences to each of the 'leaders'.

good work mate

flash & pk - how do you each rate doubles, cross doubles and staff-meteor combos?

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
so are you asking me to rate these huh, are they mingin are they mingin?? [said in deep tone of voice- like that minger from BB, didnt watch it so dont know her name].

personal feelings here dude,
doubles i like... i even dable
doube cross, no coment. [see above post]
meteor n staff combo?? naw dude meteors are better off used solo, specialy if you use em like bairy fen, though that 3ball dave geezer on the coffee vid is so smooth with those meteors, almost could mistake it for a staff.
doube meteors?? you missed one. though hella hardcore sypher pulls em off ok.

:end rateing:

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by 1112:

doube meteors?? you missed one. though hella hardcore sypher pulls em off ok.

i was scared i'd get ripped for suggesting this in the 'staff' forum
double meteor always sounded like a head melter to me - harder to pull of nice wraps and stuff too if you don't have the free arm.

my dream combo is a big contact ball with a staff. shame i don't know how to use either yet!

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
Perhaps it's time to learn Coleman

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
perhaps someone nice will teach me some staff

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
dont ask drew for help, he's being mean this week.

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
Perhaps that nice person will also bring you some freshly baked cookies tonight too...

BamBam

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
coleman:

double staves and double crosses are my bag baby. Am more practised with the staves and therefore better with them, but have good form with the double crosses and never fail to please an audience.

meteors are my next area of exploration. There is not a huge meteor user-base in sydney so picking it up and learning the moves will take some time and thought.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by flash fire:
meteors are my next area of exploration.
me too at the moment i don't care how silly i look trying to do them cos they just feel so good! fun now - style later

will be hitting up bammy for some staff lessons as soon as i can play outside again (but in the meantime i'll just keep hinting for more yummy cookies ).

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
make sure she gives you cookies AND a staff over 2 inches long... methinks you may be too tall for the average london stick...
R

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
is that a hint that your not keen on batons rob?

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
mr bluecat, put those claws away! anyway, its not how big it is, its how you use it that counts

hope your trip back to the ubernorth was cool - see ya again soon hopefully man.

so the time to get me some big sticks is approaching fast methinks. 5 and a half footers (i am 6'2" after all and smallboy manages to handle a 5' staff okay). its whether to start with wood or ali that's the buning question.

i may just flip a coin. or i could use that search thing everyone keeps bangin on about...

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
wander up here and i'll make you a beast suitable for someone of your *ahem* propotions....

pay me somewhat and you might get a matching pair

ubernorth is good. cold. hectic. loud. empty. full. sad.

Rob(in mourning)

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
oh and yes i DO like batons. just uncontactable on fire.... unless you're ASBESTOS BOY(stand up pk)(if you saw his burned hand you know what i'm talking about....

Rob in mourning

[ 20. February 2003, 00:16: Message edited by: bluecat ]

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
Hey Bluecat, don't diss me ickle sticks man, they hurt as much as big ones when whiped across a bare bum

Cole the offer still stands.

And what all this Rob in mourning?

Bammers of the slammers

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
did you say a matching pair of your sticks rob?!!!??
i have to say i don't think i'm worthy yet but thank-you! [ ^999 ]

: scuttles quickly off to find out prices of flights to edinburgh :

quote:
Originally posted by BamBam:
Cole the offer still stands.

And what all this Rob in mourning?

need me a stick to practice with between lessons bam - tuesdays are the only time i get to do stuff that takes up more room than juggling. once i've been to see mr mineiro (why do you weep so sir?) we'll get on the case.
cheers for showing me what the topic of this thread looks like too - double spinning T's ahoy!

[ 20. February 2003, 02:22: Message edited by: coleman ]

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Mineiromember
262 posts

Posted:
cheeeep flights cole....

in mourning for love(the concept)
R

brain replacement...anyone?

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
sends rob love and hugs.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by bluecat:
oh and yes i DO like batons. just uncontactable on fire.... unless you're ASBESTOS BOY(stand up pk)(if you saw his burned hand you know what i'm talking about....

erm rob, shush, my new move aint to be spoken about just yet. soon dude soon.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by 1112:
sends rob love and hugs.
ditto to that

pk; hanging up your poi for a little while obviously had a positive effect - you're on fire at the moment man

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Page: