Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > hints... tips... i wanna throw!

Login/Join to Participate

SpArKiE*shiny shiny*
218 posts

Posted:
i'm in search for sum hints or tips on how to throw my staff so that it turns around in the air.

i can only make it do a 180 and if it does do a 360 it seems to travel... is that normal??? or am i just doin sumfin wrong.

the most i can make it spin is 360.. and trust me- i've been practising this for AGES!!!

plz help meeeee! this is driving me mad

And wherever you've gone and wherever we might go. It don't seem fair. Today just disappeared.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
I assume you aren't throwing it in windy conditions?

If not, there are any number of reasons why it isn't coming down straight. and a few as to why it isn't spinning faster when you release it.

To make it spin more, give it a flick by twist your wrist in the direction of spin quickly just before you release.

A lot of people find this much easier if they release the staff out of the bototm of the hand (where your little finger is) as they twist the wrist rather than the top of the hand (where the thumb is).

Try doing this just holding the staff without any motion and it will seem natural pretty quickly.

As for height, it's an old physics lesson that the higher you throw, the more accurate your throw needs to be. A small throw may be off quite a lot but as it doesn't travel far, it comes down where you want it anyway.

Look at the motion the staff takes before you release it. Is it travelling left to right? Or right to left?

Only a perfectly judged throw will come down where you are, and I find it hard to do that after years of doing high throws.

Look at where it goes as well, is it always going to your left and forwards? Then try to correct it by throwing it back and to the right a tiny bit. Well, you get the idea, anyway.

Hope this isn't too much info, and get out there and practise!

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
agreed. also:

try comming into the throw with the stick spinning faster

checkout tennesa'a thumbtoss inna "kneed help with baton" thread dosnt work for everyone but worth a go.

N?

[ 14. February 2003, 03:55: Message edited by: +) ]

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
as nix posted above, this is a damn good thread.
batons
good uck i hope you find what you need to know.

hadezBRONZE Member
44 posts

Posted:
We have found a technique which seems to work very well for accurate high throws.
Get the staff rotating to the right take it in your left hand and pass it with a small throw in to your right hand so your thumbs next to each other and your palms are down, then use the momentum to make a circle with your hands so your right hand then meets your left with the little fingers together and your palms up. The staff never rotates fully in either hand so to make a full rotation both hands are needed.
Phew,once youve got this up to speed you can use the right hand to break the cirle so instead of passing throw the staff straight up. I know it sounds a bit complicated but once it works you'll know, i'll try and get some pics if your interested.

SpArKiE*shiny shiny*
218 posts

Posted:
oooo plz

cos that TOTALLY confused me. lol

And wherever you've gone and wherever we might go. It don't seem fair. Today just disappeared.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I didn't follow it either Hadez. Could you simplify it any?

Meh

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
I think Hadez means using both hands to control the staff as you lift it, with two hands lifting you get twice as much control and twice as much hight. ( or a smack in the nose twice as hard)

For single handed throws I find that if you make sure you lift the very centre of the staff from a low move at the side of your body as it comes to the centre of your body (as though coming across the front of you) you generally get a straighter throw. Counteract any off centre movement by moving yor body the otherway and twisting.
If you do a low 3 beat this gives you ,more recoil time and than a two and you can lift the centre of the staff as the palm opens up, plus a bonus is that all inertia is moving forwards and up. Keeping your whole palm in contact for as long as you can also helps with the control.

As with most chucky stuff, starting with low ones and gradually getting higher once you have control helps

Centre of the staff, centre of the body.
Hope this helps a little

[ 08. March 2003, 16:34: Message edited by: TEMPEST ]

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
And you can cheat like Blue monkeyboy Cateiro and be a juggler before you become a staffer.

By the way, I've been working on a alternate doubles throw thing that was inspire by him. Probably won't see you for another few months now though. Which should give me ample time to get better at it

Meh

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
once you gotta alternate doublesa throw, go for alternate swapping (cross to other hand) throws (butterfly time)

N

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
watch it c@tnip, no pinching all my moves until i learn sme noo ones( cartwheels the present manouvres to be tested....)

R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

hadezBRONZE Member
44 posts

Posted:
Hey sparkie if your still interested ive got a video clip of the move and it should be on the site in a few days, just keep looking.