sonny_cmember
26 posts

Posted:
hey peoples, hope everyone's well. just a question. the other week i saw this guy twirling 2 fire stix in each hand an man it looked really cool!
jus wonderin if anybody knows of any good sites that i can have a look at for techniques or anything coz i gave it a go but any info would really help. thanx guys

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Hey man,

I do it all the time.... I call my toys my 8-balls (cos of the number of flames I have) or double crosses.

not very different or much harder than double staves, and you can get some really cool wheel effects going. The difference between the two disciplines really depends on the length/size of the cross...

what length were you thinking?

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yo, a friend of mine told me about this at burning man. Im wandering if the crosses are fixed or two seperate sticks and how you might do fingerrolls in either case.

N

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Hiya,

My crosses are fixed. I made them with quite thin aluminium piping, with a nut and bolt/electrical tape combo holding them together. Although, this is not how I wanted them done; I'd rather have removed a notch of the piping in one of the lengths to make the other length sit flush.

god I'm bad a tech descriptions! Let me try again... at the moment, the thickness in the middle of my crosses is double the thickness of the piping - I'd prefer to have them sit together so it is just single thickness.

Finger rolls are something I've never really incorporated into my twirling, be that with single, double and crosses. I find they interrupt my flow too much and for all their technical merit don't really add to any routine I've ever done/seen.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

sonny_cmember
26 posts

Posted:
hey man! what your doing sounds fuckn cool. ive seen some guys doing it with a cross like your using an thats what i originally was going to try, but then i saw this other dude doing it with just two seperate stix. the stix were about 40-50 cm long an this guy was spinning really well. i tried it an they seemed to fly everywhere. like you said its hard to get an even flow going when your trying to roll the sticks around your fingers an hand. anyways i might jus stick to the cross spinning. that seems to look just as good without doing to many finger rolling.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
here's some pics with me and my crosses:

blurry pic with me holding crosses together in front of me

pic of me at same performance

one of my favourite pics of my doubles of all time

[ 10. January 2003, 16:29: Message edited by: flash fire ]

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

sonny_cmember
26 posts

Posted:
well shit, im gonna have to make a couple of crosses up tomorrow now, your pics look pretty fuckn cool! thanx for the inspiration! out of curiosity, whats the length of the crosses your using?

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
ummm - I'm not sure! I'm bad at estimating lengths of things. I'd say maybe 80 or 90cms tip-to-tip.

I can measure them when I get home tonight to let you know.

But that's just me - Dangerboy for example uses a single cross and it's huge! It's set up more like a jesus-cross than my square crosses, with the longest staff being about 1.5m long.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

sonny_cmember
26 posts

Posted:
ummm... i dont think ill make mine quite that long, thats really really big! i think ill stick to the smaller size,the ones you use sound about the same size as the ones ive seen being used before which still look pretty cool, maybe ill make bigger ones later when i get past the stage of them flying out of hands every five seconds.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
the trick is to get your elbow out of the way, kinda 'pushing' them around with the strength of your forearm as well as your wrist.

yeah - the big cross scares me too! lil ones for me They're about the same lenght as my double staves, so almost all my moves are easily transferable.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

sonny_cmember
26 posts

Posted:
cool, maybe ill be able to get into the double staffs as well then. you realize im gonna be asking you a shit load of qeustions about what other tricks you do when i get started?haha, no really ill try to keep em to a minimum. thanx heaps for your help though.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
The middle of your 3 pics doesn't seem to work Flashie

Nix? I often spin 2 electroglos in one hand - if that counts - not attached together in any form of a cross though....

Can do some hand wraps and teeny iccle throws.

Meh

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
heh non-attached doubles in each hand sounds crazy.

Do you think you could get them to rotate counter to each other? If so that would look crazy.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
minero has some nice cross staff stuff, nix? you should know this man.
i've seen him do a helicopter throw and catch a staff in each hand, looked real nifty.
another nice one that he managed to keep going looked like a helicopter but spinning it round with the other staff.
god i only wish my doubles would get any better.

Mineiromember
262 posts

Posted:
mwahahahaha!!!!
been playing a wee bit more with crosses... difficult to get counterspinning cause they hit each other at hte wicks...

but a few to show to sheffield skirt emporium... hopefully videoage will ensue and get on here somehow....
adeus
R

brain replacement...anyone?

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
ar, so i am not going to do my appology thread any more, cos you got my name wrong this time!! haha

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
there this name is easier for you to spell rob.

i've been trying recently some of this cross staff stuff, is it just some thing to play around with or is there a load of moves out there that you can switch between doubles and cross, other than the heli type moves where it seems more possible to do stuff.
or am i being blind?

Mineiromember
262 posts

Posted:
think you will find o smuggest one that IT WAS ON PURPOSE!!!!!!!

so i demand an apology... but back to topic... there are a few vertical ones, still not reall spent huge amounts of time on it but explanations come difficultly so will have to show you... but nix? has some nice ones also....*rubs hands together in anticipation*

tchau

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
sounds good wiv me bring on the staff workshop!

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yeah, theres a nice cross 3beat weave thing i can show ya...

N

common the weekend!!!!

-><- Kallisti

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
Ohh I feel a doubles weekend coming on for me.

Nix and Mineiro I'll be hunting you two down on Saturday I've heard great things about you both.

BamBam

[ 31. January 2003, 04:06: Message edited by: BamBam ]

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by BamBam:

Nix and Mineiro I'll be hunting you two down on Saturday I've heard great things about you both.

not from me though

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
LOL!

-><- Kallisti

Mineiromember
262 posts

Posted:
youll pay for that o smug one....

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
was just a passing coment, i do not brag how good you both are. that wasnt in a bad way i said the above.