Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Variations on the neckspin [w/ videos]

Login/Join to Participate

fireninjamember
34 posts

Posted:
Hello staff people,

I was goofing around and came up with some variations on that old standby, the neckspin. They have been posted on my website, but I thought I would post them here as well. For all I know people have been doing this for years, but I have never seen it.

It is normal neckspin with a contact roll up the arm and then on to a few different finishes:

https://www.fireninja.com/neckspin_l.mov

https://www.fireninja.com/neckspin_r.mov

https://www.fireninja.com/neckspin_to_palmspin.mov

https://www.fireninja.com/neackspin_to_palm_transfer.mov

https://www.fireninja.com/neckspin_to_shoulder_pop.mov

The nice thing about these moves is that they are very consistent -- after a few days of sporadic play I am up to a 99% hit rate with them.

Not a particularly big deal, but thought I would share it here.

-david
david@fireninja.com
www.fireninja.com

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
kung fu, man, kung fu. wish i knew how to do all that video upload internet stuff. at least now i can watch...
rock on, dude!!! thanks for the sharing, even tho i don't really do stick...

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
digging that shoulder pop bro, tis sick.
been working on some other neckrolls n combo's but not good enough to get on film yet.
cheers for sharing the flicks.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
really nice and smooth man - I'd like to see them in a routine?

tonemanmember
195 posts

Posted:
dude, you rule! Along with glass and PK!

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yo fire ninja,

the next thing from there is to have the staff com round the neck, up the arm, around the arm (without palmspinning) and back to the elbow, onto the other forarm, up around that arm and down to the neck, around the neck and repeat.

Once thats all easy try going from a neckwrap to round the shoulder, arm strait up in the air, round the front of the neck and under the next shoulder and repeat.

going round the arm below the level of your hand is scary at first but way cool and all thease moves can be done as multipules, (tho im buggered if I can do multipul horisontal shoulder wraps like that insane batton woman (no, the other one))

L8ter

N

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Mineiromember
262 posts

Posted:
one i just got... bit of a baton thing really... go round your neck constantly... managed 5 full rotations so far, trick seems to be as always with contact leaving the staff in the same place and moving your body round it....
working on the left arm, neck, right arm, neck, left arm... etc thing. but i think i may bow to mr drew on that one
Love
R

brain replacement...anyone?

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
leave me out of this one, i'm a poi monster, just dabling with sticks right now.
leave said stick monsters to glass, minero and nix?

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
all respect to the masters

*one day, fairy, you will learn the beauty of the stick - for now, just leave it to the ones who do it best!*

Wow! Fantastic stuff - way over my head but beautiful all the same.

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yeah, well i didnt say I could go round the sholder, And I too bow to drew in this respect (and probibly tennessa too), But just you wait for the good weather, ill be there, no worrys.

P.s. on the subgect of continious neckspins, I seem to be having a lot of troble getting this going? any tips?

N?

-><- Kallisti

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
There's a neckspin thread from ages ago that Xaeda posted that you might find helpful Nix?

I'll see if I can find it for you.

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Ok I've bumped it for you.

Meh

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
I was thinking more about the continious flatspin neckwrap that glass does, that seems to involve shuffling the staff as you go round it to keep the centre of ballance in a reasonable place.

Hadnt seen that post for ages, takes me back....

thanx C@tnus,

N?

-><- Kallisti

KajiQuantum Theorist
564 posts

Posted:
Nice! Very nice I loved the elbow kick in the last vid.
What lenght staff do you use? And would you say that move would be easier with a long(5 - 5.5 ft) or a short staff (3.5 - 4 ft)

In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird, now the world is weird and they take prozac to make it normal again.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I can get a flat spin on the back of my neck. Does that count?

Meh

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
errm, i ment round and round and round the neck, no hands.

N

-><- Kallisti

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
yeah i figured. But i can only get about 1 revolution like that. So i figured you wouldn't be interested in that.

Meh

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
left arm, neck, right arm neck left arm etc... in the horozontal and vertical planes took me forever to get. i can just now get abour 3 or 4 times consecutively in the vertical plane with no hands...

very fun though.

anyone got a light?

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
(glares infuriatingly at all the staffers who can do a million more contact things than himself).

But at least now I can make a small contribution instead of just being the envious bystander.

A type of continuous neck spin (it may be what glass does, I'm not sure) is to spin the staff around your neck and push it with the neck just off center, exactly like a single-stick devil stick movement.

You usually have to move the whole body to get enough speed to keep the pressure strong enough, but turning on the spot can help as well.

The continuous neck move that I like is to catch it after a neckwrap with my chin/shoulder, then spin it again, in the same or opposite direction.

After a lot of practice you can do that lots of times in a row...

I'll just sit back again now and watch the masters at work

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Fascinating Charles. Maybe you should release a video to demonstrate it
Non-Https Image Link

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Actually I plan to make a few of the top contact staffers "disapear" and it looks as if saturday i will get my chance.....

But (shh) don't tell any of them

Meh

Mineiromember
262 posts

Posted:
watch it you.....

brain replacement...anyone?

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
I deliberately left all this difficult stuff out of the video coz I stink at it! (hence why I call it difficult)

Fortunately, Dom introduced himself to me a while ago her ein Auckland and he showed me some of the stuff you guys have been doing. Ever since then i keep forgetting to practice.

But but but...I'm getting better at long double staffs on my unicycle...

------

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
approves

And i really hope that charles uses those staffs as mime oars to propel himself along.

G

fireninjamember
34 posts

Posted:
Wow.

I haven't checked this forum for a few weeks. All this traffic comes as something of a surprise...

- arashi , PK [Dust-Punk], [Josh] , toneman, fluffy napalm fairy, Frost (Bringer of bad puns),

Thanks! I'm glad you guys appreciate this stuff.

- Frost (Bringer of bad puns) asked:
>What lenght staff do you use? And
>would you say that move would
>be easier with a long(5 - 5.5 ft) or
>a short staff (3.5 - 4 ft)

I use a 5' and 4' staff, and can do all of these neckspin variations with both lengths. As to which is easier... I dunno. Which ever you are more comfortable with, I guess.

- Re the other threads:

This contact stuff is somewhat new to me. For years my focus has been speed, low tosses [which can be done indoors without a high ceiling], and being able to do everything blindfolded [And firewhip! Firewhip is awesome!]. I am really excited by the contact stuff, but there is no one in my geographic area [that I know of] who does contact staff. This makes it hard to pick up, especially when most of the discussion on these boards is not accompanied by video. I am working on it though.

Anyway, thanks for keeping this thread alive. I hope to have some more contact staff videos up soon.

-david
david@fireninja.com
www.fireninja.com

P.S. If some of you contact staff people need a place to host videos of this sort drop me an email.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yo,

keep at it man, I had to learn contact in isolation till I met minero, just put the staff on your body and see where it goes.

I might well have a few seconds of video for ya....

N

-><- Kallisti