Mineiromember
262 posts

Posted:
been playing with big doubles - 1.5m fully wicked and am as yet unable to keep going thru a full burn cause the drag on them is unbeleivable. that combined with the already silly weight is enough to nearly kill me....
bit worried cause i went thru this with my(already heavier than most) normal doubles and can now just about do a 10 minute burn with them... but all over again?

anyone else with this problem? and is there anything to be done except keep practising? the major problem with that is the flame drag plays such a large part in it that unlit really makes no sense.....

but wait til you see what they look like..

so nice that i have been going off contact(sorry glass, nix etc)....

love
R

brain replacement...anyone?

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
what u need my friend, is some american chai!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
or a whole heapa gurrana?

i been thinking about this too, because a burn of my short, light small wicked doubles kills me too.

I think training is the answer, firstly some long twich muscluar training, where weights are lifted 10 secunds up and ten seconds down, this promotes the sort of muscle fibers used for endurance, and could help, as for specific execises, im not so shure, see what part of your arms hurts most and work on them (forearms and shoulders for me)

The second is cardio-vascular training, so that your overall level of fitness is higher and you get you 'second wind' quicker. second wind is where the body swaps over from using chemical energy stored in the muscles to energy gained from oxygen and fat, again prolonging endurance. seond wind also clears the lactic acid from the muscles much better, as lactic acid is the by-product of the chemical energy system. For this I would recomend rowing as it uses the arms and is a very high intesity cardio-vascular workout. That and swimming (breast stroke?).

yeah, more work i think. maybe get yourself some really heavy practice doubles and train with them, not play but a determined and prolounged workout.

thats about it i think.

Love

N

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Oh yeah, i forgot....

YOU TRAITOROUS SCUM!

"more than contact", HA!

N

-><- Kallisti

Mineiromember
262 posts

Posted:
MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!
wondered how long that would take you....

jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:
lots of different sorts of press ups are always good value for getting stronger. but make sure and stretch to keep those muscles flexi.
maybe if you thought about how your feet are moving while your doing it you might get a more economical sort of motion going?

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Minero dosnt move his feet, ever. Hes scared he'll fall over.

-><- Kallisti

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
I wen through this when I started getting into doubles. I've never used anything shorter than 1.4 metres for performing, and now use doublewicked staffs for my double routines.

It will take a while to build up the muscles...but it does happen eventually.

Even now, though, If I'm out of practice for a week or so, it takes a short while before I can do a full half hour set...

"it won't happen overnight, but it will happen" -

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Nix?:

The second is cardio-vascular training, so that your overall level of fitness is higher and you get you 'second wind' quicker. second wind is where the body swaps over from using chemical energy stored in the muscles to energy gained from oxygen and fat, again prolonging endurance. seond wind also clears the lactic acid from the muscles much better, as lactic acid is the by-product of the chemical energy system. For this I would recomend rowing as it uses the arms and is a very high intesity cardio-vascular workout. That and swimming (breast stroke?).

I swim. I'm a breastroker, in fact. But swimming is pretty crummy exercise unless you're good at it. However, with some practice, you can get good at it. And then it's the best workout you'll find. But learn how to do all four strokes, or at least freestyle, breastroke, and backstroke (butterfly is optional, but if you can do it it means you're in good shape and it speaks to your coordination).

The best way to get good quickly? Find a good swimmer and borrow them for about 30 minutes to teach you technique.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
I say get some tails to attach to the wicks, so you can practice using them with the drag factor incorporated.

you can't have a war against terrorism because war IS terrorism.it's not about worshipping fire. its about making the fire want to worship you.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Cant you buy tails for the heads somewhere on HOP?

Mineiromember
262 posts

Posted:
eeeerrrm. the drag from the flames is so big i would need flags attached(as Nix will attest).... and yes i have some of those(made on holiday which is being unexpectedly lengthened... )

oooohhh.
AND
a week off staff and i love it again... contact and all...and have some new silliness to share when on a lengthier computer link..
X
R

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Tempest (Liam - as seen on COL3 amongst his brothers) has some killer wicks on his staffs. Cathedral heads with extra kevlar wrapped round them to trap air in and intensify the burn.

Those puppies just never go out. Couple that with the weight of the staff and that's one mega work out.

Only span one once. Made me glad of my teeny heads.

I sometimes train with an extremely heavy staff - for endurance purposes - I have two for this. heavyish, slightly mishapen wooden thingvery heavy steel tube approx 9ft in lengthHard to spin but then it makes any spinning i do with normal staffs so much easier.

Plus it tones my delts nicely

Meh