Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > What's the BEST way to spin a staff?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Xorn69SILVER Member
13 posts

Posted:
I'm reasonably new at spinning my stick and I've developed a method of twirling hand over hand... It's similar to the method shown in Xaeda's staff animations, but it's not the same.. Instead of using the right hand to spin clockwise, I use the right hand to spin anticlockwise! (if you look at the animation, just picture her using her right hand to spin the staff in the opposite direction and you'll hopefully know how I mean)

I've been doing it for a few months and I'm very comfortable with it but now that I want to learn more complex tricks I'm worried that it'll be impossible because of my chosen method of spinning... Am I going about it the wrong way? Is there only one proper way to spin a staff? Should I unlearn what I've learnt?

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
I've always considered the best way to spin to be not hitting yourself(especially in the head)

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

stickmanWorld Champ Procrastinator
580 posts

Posted:
I have a question concerning spinning figure 8s..

you got the forward and backward fig 8, then forwards you also have the gunshot or whatever its called where you give the staff an extra half spin at the back and then another extra at the front to it almost rolls over your shoulder (dont know if this is making sense.. if not, please disregard, cuz theres more to come)
the backwards you have the over-the-shoulder-roll as well coming from the back, but is there a way to give another half spin in the front while spinning backwards fig 8?

everyone understand? good..

loki.c1687SILVER Member
addict
546 posts

Posted:
i sometimes just roll it over the back of my plam its abit uncontroled but works
mike.c

Rules and responsibities:
These are the ties that bind us.
We do what we do,because of who we are.
If we did otherwise,we would not be ourselves.
I will do what i have to do
And i will do what i must..

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Stick man

The answer to your question is yes.

There are four that i know of myself.

Think about it this way. Doing a forward fig8 you do an extra half spin at the back (ont he way tot he fron of your body). It goes under your forearm. Then you do a extra half spin at the front (on the way to the back) and it goes under your forearm.

Its the same thing spinning in the other direction. Except it goes over your forearm on the way to the front and under your forearm on the way to the back.

I know i havent really explained how to do it but i think you should be able to figure it out. Let me know if you need more detail.

i'll be posting more about this later. it works in doubles with split time same direction spinning very well.

Love is the law.

Xorn69SILVER Member
13 posts

Posted:
2 years later and I can safely say that I've figured out a satisfactory method for spinning.

I think the highlight would be twirling on the main stage in front of Public Domain & Ultra Sonic for the Utopia party in Sydney. 5000+ peaking ravers cheering me on! W00t!

I'm living in Brighton now... Bought a nice long stick at Camden markets the other day.. Went out in the 4 degree weather the other night on Brighton beach and gave a demo to some Swedish friends..

smile
EDITED_BY: Xorn69 (1103550449)

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Hi Xorn69,

Loved your post; two years on and all smile
Much respect for hanging in there.
When I got my first staff, the guy said practice, and come back a star. That kept me motivated for ages. Well I practiced, and I learnt and re-learnt , finally deciding that the star was for persevering. Now, I’m into club swinging and juggling.
Cheers

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
The BEST way to spin will always be...

wait for it..................

NAKED!!!

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
omg!!! charles im so very very disapointed *shakes head graemlin* what happened to the conservative level headed moderator?

ubbloco

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Even Mods have their fetishes, Ben. After all, are they not only human? ubblol

Will you be demonstrating how to spin naked Charles in an hour long video featuring naked Mods??

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubblol

I reckon that should definitely be on COL 6

Getting to the other side smile

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
No problem...1 hour of naked spinning in the dark coming up...Just have to wait for a cloudy night with no moon (no pun intended).

Am I really seen as conservative? I thought I was the (monogamous) Austin Powers of Home of Poi!

rolleyes

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Good grief Charles, nekkid spinning :lol. you’re such a worry wink

Austin Powers indeed! Perhaps, is can see Charles the International Man of Mystery.

"Yeah baby, want to come over to the club, for a swinging time and some shag-a-delic waist wraps. nudge, nudge wink wink say no more. I’ll teach you a trick or two. "

Heheheh

biggrin

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
eek ubblol

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Just remember not to make those front passes too close! We don't want a bush fire now do we!

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
eek eek

ubblol

Page: