Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
in yet another attempt to make the staff forum equivalent to that of the poi'ers

now i know that everybody learns new moves in staff just the same as poi, and since i just got a few myself, im dying to tell someone, so this is it...

well after taking a staff head to the nose and leaving a huge black mark in exchange for some skin i can now catch a horizontally thrown staff in a palmspin...

i got Nix's little leg wrap kick move described in the contact footwork thread, and this move has just tickled me pink cause it looks wicked nice, but it was fairly simple...

and i can now roll the staff from one hand, across the shoulders to the other, which took me a damn long time to get...

so everybody, when you just need to let the world know of your staffing accomplishments for the day, come here and shout em out

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
ha, nice one whiffle,

whenerver I learn a new move I disguise my elation and post it onna board (often before the move is solid) and pretend I know all about it, hehehe.

Its nice you gotta kick up, whatch the knees. Still cant do glasses one (mind you tried it once with wellies on, cant help.

yeah, more bounging going yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyeysyeysyeysyeyysyseyeyeyeyesruefiuoyhsaergp 8yauergadpfubh`j`å?bg fgkbzc'bzfghs fhnh `?u

Wooooooo Hoooooooo!

I love that feeling. and we are right to celebrate it!

N

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
Yeh, too bloody right, you tell em Whiffle Squeek!!!!

I'm doing the wire wool staffing tonight, if I don't post about it tomorrow on this thread assume the worst!

A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words...

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
weeee! i was running around the house all happy but no one's home, and none of my friends are up yet and not at work not thta'd most of them get it so.....

weee! I actually did a double reverse shotgun. with the stupid little extra half-turn and everything. ok, so i was doing it at a painfully slow speed, but the point is i was doing it! And i think it'll look really cool at a faster speed cause it's got such a danc-y feel yay!

happy kyri!

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
cool man, ermmm,

whats a shotgun?

n

-><- Kallisti

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
mmmmm.....mmmm..... does it have another name?? oh, prolly. but i don't know.
and you don't want me to try and explain moves, it's usually hard neough for people who know what i'm talking about to figure out what i'm describing.....

whiffle? can you help nix?

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
its a rotor Nix, at least thats what i think it is in HoPish, i learned different names...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
it's a form of rotor yeah. it's got too many turns in it though. so you have to sort of fling it over your body when ur doing reverse.... *can't think properly* hmm.... i think mebbe drome pixie knows what i'm talking about also? now where did she go.....

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
like an extra half turn? either over the forarm or under the shoulder?

used to be called shoulder rolls but with all this new contact around the term has been kinda confused.

dat it?

N

-><- Kallisti

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
yeah i think that's it. i've seen over forearm/ over shoulder... how would you do it under the shoulder? and is there a good reason for having it roll over further up your arm or not? (mine usually roll over an inch or two from my wrist)

peace & love, kyri

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
in both directions, forward and back, you can add an extra half turn on both sides of the body, for example with forwards figure eight done at the side of the body you can lay it over the wrist going from fron to back or rotate the shoulder from back to front, doing both gives you 2 revolutions on each side. backwards is simalar but the shoulder moves on front to back and the forarm on back to front.

hope this makes sence, i think this is what charles calls a double figure 8.

N

-><- Kallisti

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Here we go guys, a link to kyrians thread where I repeat the instaructions for the doublefigure8

Kyrians doublefigure8 thread

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

lluhmasmember
63 posts

Posted:
Anyone ever pulled off a head/face spin?

I'm in a spiinnin frenxy at the moment, palm spinnin doubles in different directions...and with singles...

doing a BTB windmill, bend over, spin the staff onto your shoulderblades, it will spin across your back and over your shoulder if your bent enough, then catch it and keep spinning...

love it...next one is same move but bending right over and doing a BUM spin.....
ohhh yeah ba-by...

BAHOOGA! It's the penguin-people!Gertrude, get me my lollypop and we'll lick 'em to death..and?

Traceredmember
71 posts

Posted:
I'm quite new to staff, so don't laught at me, but I nailed a new one to me last night. With a horizontal staff in front of me, drop and bounce off the right thigh, catch and stall on the right foot, and toss back into hands.

~peace~

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind - Mahatma Gandhi

fajerBRONZE Member
4 posts

Posted:
well... i went in here to see if i could find some new tricks to learn, and i did find some! but now i've managed to do some nice marks in the floor and i was reeeaaally close to crash the computer

thanks anyway guys, i'll surely try again tomorrow! i would appreciate it though, if you could explain in swedish, or maybe come by and show me some day?

Limitation is a creation of the mind - Gerar Toye -

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
hey tracered, when you get it to ur thigh, try rollinng it down the length of ur thigh and boucing it off ur knee before you go on. wicked cool

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

Wikkamanmember
259 posts

Posted:
Fajer,
have you heard of a Swedish club called Lucky Center International? Or a film made by the people from the club?
Apologies for straying off topic. Sorry

The answer is never the answer. What's really interesting is the mystery. If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking. I've never seen anybody really find the answer-- they think they have, so they stop thinking. But the job is to seek mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in which strange plants grow and mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater than the need for an answer.-- Ken Kesey

fajerBRONZE Member
4 posts

Posted:
hey wikkaman,

sorry, i haven't heard of neither the club or the film.. what's it about?

Limitation is a creation of the mind - Gerar Toye -

Wikkamanmember
259 posts

Posted:
Here is a link you may find usefull,
Lucky People International or something

The answer is never the answer. What's really interesting is the mystery. If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking. I've never seen anybody really find the answer-- they think they have, so they stop thinking. But the job is to seek mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in which strange plants grow and mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater than the need for an answer.-- Ken Kesey

WryTerraThe reason we say "European"
912 posts

Posted:
Well I'm happy. I'm a novice with the staff but I've been spinning poi for longer. I can't get the reverse weave in poi at all. Frustrated, I tried it with staff, got it first go and can now circle 360 whilst weaving with the staff. I'm a happyish bunny but would be happier if I could do the same with poi.

"We have done the impossible and that makes us mighty" - Mal Reynolds

"I can't tell the difference between an electron and a cat" - Brother of a friend

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
well if u do the equivalent of reverse weave with both hands on the staff it will give the hand positions and movement for it with the poi

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Quote:

well if u do the equivalent of reverse weave with both hands on the staff it will give the hand positions and movement for it with the poi

Exactly!!! Thats what makes poi bad a$$, wink cause there are alot of moves that transfer over from 1 to the other, obviously not all but alot. I think the staff and poi go together well.

That not only goes for rev weave but all of the weave family, ie 5bt windmill aka 3bt windmill/ corkscrew and forward weave and my fav btl weave.
EDITED_BY: Taniwha07 (1073279430)