Page:
Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
So can this be done with staffs as well?

I've seen it done with poi enough times and I don't see why not but I've never heard of anyone doing it before and nothing came up when I searched for it in the staff section.

Anyone done it? I'm sure it'd look sick!

A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words...

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
pyrophile, I have been tempted to try wire wool with the staff as I have done it enough times with poi but I am not very good with the staff as yet and I am far too worried about giving myself some serious burns if I do try it

Mark P

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
Mark,

What things should I consider when setting out to do this? i.e. safety & construction

Cheers.

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
I havent had much experience with anything other than cages for poi.

Someone once told me that you could just wrap your wicks with some wire wool and use something like a little but of wire to hold them on - I dont know wether this would damage your wicks or not as it would leave some molten steel behind.
Another way would be to make a chicken wire cage to attach to the ends on the staff.

As for safety, make sure you have plenty of space between you and any spectators as the sparks do go for a long way. Remember to wear long sleeves and trousers if possible, this just acts as enough of a barrier to stop you getting little burns on legs/arms. You also must remember that you wont be able to do all the moves that you can do with the staff, things like the corkscrew would just end up throwing loads of sparks into your body.

All in all I have done quite a lot of wire wool burns with my poi-cages and havent had too many problems. I have once been shouted at because I was convinced to do it at a party which didnt really have enough space so I just stopped and at Glastonbury I got a bit carried away doing 360 weave turns, got dizzy and hit myself on the leg - this resulted in a little burn but nothing serious

Hope this helps and I look forward to hearing the results soon.

Mark P

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Hey Hey, wire wool, that material is sooo much fun! You can use cages for poi, but as Mark P says you can also wrap wire around a standard poi and fix with a single strip of garden wire. (did you see thae ones i made a Glastonbury?)

Apply this princible to ya staff, i found it best to use a long staff for the simple reason of 'the hot bits are further away from ya body' A short staff may release the wire wool too close to ya body.

If you get a small section of towel and wrap it round your kevlar wicks before applying the wire, this will stop any moulten metal sticking to the kevlar and destroying your wicks.

I found as long as you keep the momentum going you shouldt get burnt (please dont quote me on that one!)

Anyhow mate hope it helps - go on get out there and give it a try!

Strugz.

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
Strugz, didnt manage see yours at glasto (were you in the fire display cos if so then I saw them in action )

I was in the stone circle most mornings before sun rise and did at least one wire wool burn with my cages each day, I did take 2kg of wire wool and 52l of paraffin between 2 of us!!

Mark P

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
Mark P & Strugz,

Which one of you was spinning the wire wool poi whilst Hugo and I were spinning fire staff on the last night at Glastonbury?

I remember that the poi spinner was called Mark but I thought he was from Southampton and not Bath. Strugz sounds familiar, is that the Mark I know?

Either way, cheers to both of you for the advice, I'm going to get this made sometime this week and hopefully put some piccies up on the site.

And I'm back in England for a year in a few months, would be wicked to catch up with you all for a spin sometime.

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
Hi Pyrophile, unfortunately Glastonbury is all a little hazy (especially the sund night/mon morning).

I was in the stone circle doing fire and wire wool on the last night we were on the left hand side (as you looked up the hill at the stones) near to the big tree. I can remember some other people were around (doing staff and poi) but cant remember who!

Mark P

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
A hazy last night for me too to say the least!

But I was on the right hand side as you look up the hill, we were with Ros (from HOP) and Hugo. (The Mark I met had fair short hair).

By the way, if Strugz is the guy I'm thinking of then he was performing on stage on the Sunday.

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
Dammit must have been another Mark, we were on the right hand side looking up the hill at the beginning of the week but then we moved to the LHS for the last couple of days.

If you are down this way then get in touch it would be good to go for a spin

Mark P

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
Will do mate, I'm in Plymouth next year so I'll email you sometime when I'm there.

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
Hey pyrophile -

the Mark you're thinking of is Mark Strugnell - Strugz He was the one spinning wire wool while you and Hugo were spinning staff. It looked bloody amazing too Some huge sparkly poi in the centre spun by Mark and then Dave and Hugo spinning staff either side in front - I only wish that disposable camera had bothered to work

We couldn't see over to the other side though Mark P. But there's always next year.......

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
Hey there Ros!

ah good memories indeed! BTW Strugz had a camera with him and someone took photos with it so I might email him if he doesn't read this to ask if we can arrange to get copies and to see how things are, etc.

I'm going to try out this wire wool staffing this weekend with any luck, I'll post up some piccies to let you know how it went, hopefully skin burn free!

Roll on Glasto 2003!

(Ros, I'll send you that music pm today or tomorrow)

Mineiromember
262 posts

Posted:
think imust have met you all there as well, esp on sunday night on the right hand side... tho my playing was cut short by a whack on the head with my staff but i would happily subscribe to getting some pics if there are some floating around . and would be hideously and overpoweringly grateful also.
R
all good for 2003?

brain replacement...anyone?

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
Mineiro,

Will definitely pm or email you if any photos show up!

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
hey Ros, it would be good to meet up if we make it to another festival or something soon

I met quite a few spinners at Glasto but as ever I cant remember all the names!!

Here are the photos which woody took with his digi camera : Glastonbury 2002 Photos

Contains photos of wire wool, lemons, fire, lemons, flags, lemon launching and general silliness (oh yeah and did I mention lemons!)

Mark P

sindominiaSILVER Member
15 posts

Posted:
What exactly is wire wool and where do you get it cause it sounds absolutely amazing.

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
Sindominia,

Check out your local DIY store and start from there.
I don't know how much experience you have spinning fire as you haven't been on this site much but I'm guessing if you haven't been doing it for very long I would suggest you wait a little while as this is more dangerous and requires a bit of reading up.

Saying that, look at the photos that Mark P put up, and see it as the light at the end of the tunnel!

(I myself am only moving into this area which is generally more unexperimented with staff as I've been spinning for a few years).

sindominiaSILVER Member
15 posts

Posted:
I've been doing staff for almost 4 years and poi for about a year but yeah you're right I haven't spent a lot of time on this site or any other so I'm kinda ignorant.

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
sindominia, I have only been indulging in the art of fire spinning since last October so I am sure you know a hell of a lot more than me with the staff!

Basic guidelines for wire wool are as follows :

1. Ensure you have enough space (big empty field is a good place to start)
2. Have someone ready as a safety.
3. Start with basic moves that keep the ends of the staff away from your body (self explanitory really but there will be one hell of a lot of sparks!)
4. Spin fast and most of all have fun

Mark P

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
for visual effect try doing it in a confined space (silk shirts off, leather helm on!)

N

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Don't forget to wrap it around your wrist when your done... Check gallery new photo's soon.

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
Mark P's Glastonbury pics page

what a wonderful gathering! the series including dscf0266.jpg, showing a row of spinners on stage is an incredible mob effect, big casual drama! some pictures astound me, so might i ask ??

in dscf0207.jpg, with trails coming down from the sky, or going up into them, what is happening?

what's making the "x" of flames in each hand of the pigtailed girl with pink sleeved top, with each slash almost a meter long, in dscf0253.jpg? how's that done? i see in the previous photo the slashes don't cross each other...

loved the warrior tree! but could you enwoolen me a bit, eh, which pic #'s are the wire wool ones, so i can be sure to see the effect?

and since everyone is saying it starts to fluff off, yet needs just a strand or two of wire to bind it, how long before it comes off in big tufts, or doesn't it?

[ 31 July 2002, 20:48: Message edited by: FireMike ]

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
Sindominia,

I wouldn't say you were ignorant for that, I learnt all my staffing without anyone or any websites help, I just assumed by the fact that you hadn't heard of wire wool before and you hadn't posted much that you might be a newbie to the art.

FireMike,

Photos dscf0117/8/9/20.jpg are all wire wool photos...

Just to update, I've bought the wool now and I'm attaching it to my staff tonight. Giving it a practise go tomorrow night and I've got a gig at a big beach party on Saturday so I'm going to do my first show with it there (away from people of course! ) Photos to follow...

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
Mike,

I think the fire trails going up into the sky that you are refering to were the fireworks at the end of the fire display in the Circus field as for the 'X's' you talk about I fear this was the camera left in double exposure mode and is actually 2 photos overlaid (sorry)

Mark P

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Hello to you guyz,

Pyrophile Mark Strugnell iz Strugz! Twoz me spinning the wire with you n Hugo, as Roz said. It was wicked but i completly understand the hazeyness, aft all it was Glastonbury!

Mark P, i didnt see over the other side of the hill, the live drummin peeps around the circle must have blocked the view!, you sounded like you took as much gear as me, i left alot of mine in the car though and was too afraid to venture outside to get it, lots of scary people out there hungry for a tickets 2 get in!

We should arrange a meet sum time, most definatley, would be good to get together again.

c ya l8rz!

Strugz.

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!!
Mark P - Good work my friend, truley a top job.

I was wishing someone had pictures of that nite, and you have - dscf0272, i think that is me on the left. Gary on the right, and (i feel really bad for not remembering) yeh that bloke spinning in the centre.

I took many pictures up at the circle aft that show, not one of them came out most annoyed. However that doesnt matter now, thanx to you.

If we ever meet i will buy you a pint!

Strugz.

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
Strugz,

Was it the photos of us that didn't come out? Shit! I was banking on you having a photo of that I could pinch from you!

Nevermind, hopefully there'll be meet ups in the future that we can all get together and get a shot of.

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
Yeah guys it would definately be good to meet up at some time.

I have a digital video camera which would be nice to get some actual poi footage with soon, I have a little bit but my main problem is the editing software dosent work with my new operating system at the moment.

Strugz - did I meet you in the stone circle - I met someone that gave me a little bit of Wire wool for woody but I cant remember who it was

Mark P

Mineiromember
262 posts

Posted:
nice to see you have so many pics of me!!!!
tho well hidden by a large screen.

R

brain replacement...anyone?

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
Which ones have you in Min?

Page: