KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Ok, so i couldn't think of a short or descriptive title. And I remember reading once (at least i think i do) that you (being charles) did some of these types of tricks so i thought i'd attract ur attention. Anyone else who knows anything tho- please share!

Now, what i want to know, is can you do tricks with fire staff where teh fire runs down part of the staff or even (as i did breifly and by accident last night) the whole entire staff is on fire for a few seconds? Can you do tricks like this on purpose/safely?

If so, how?

Peace & Love, Kyri

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
Interesting question,

also can one wick be lit by the other through doing this?

A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words...

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
oooh, now there's a wicked idea!!

run the fire from the lit wick down to teh unlit one.... ooh, me likes, me likes!!!

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
depending on how your staff is, you can do a lot of cool things with it. i have a hollow staff and i soak the ends and then i make sure some of the fuel goes down the inside of the staff so when i light the bottome end and turn the staff straight up and down, the other end lights. also, iff you put enough fuel in it and do not spin off, you can light one end and do a really fast spin in front of you and the flame will do kind of a burnoff and the trail will light the other end. but this really depends on the size of the wick and what fuel you use...

anyone got a light?

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
*bump*

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Interesting idea, Kyrian. I hadn't seen this post for somereason or another (must have been the title was too obscure ).

To answer this question...

quote:
Can you do tricks like this on purpose/safely?

If the "you" is being me, as an individual, then no, not with my long staffs.

There's a number of crazy toys out there that are like staff versions of monster poi, But I'm guessing this isn't exactly what you are after.

One small thing that might be worth a mention, was that I did some burnoffs with little-wee-tiny-insy-winsie-little-stick-things. Some staffs, (I think they might have been Sage's??) which were only .5 metre long. FYI I prefer to throw my staffs high when doing a burnoff

The burn-off's spread the flame not only out but inside the vacumn of the staff when it was coming down (falling creates a small vacumn directly above the item that's falling).

This spread the fireball all along the shaft including the leather handgrip, which resulted in a cool halo of fire around the whole toy on the downwards fall.

The grip was hot for a few seconds after the catch but apart form that it looked sooooo cool!

That's about the only experience I've ever had, and about as far as I wish to take that sort of risk too.

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
ok, thanks.

i was fairly certain it wasn't the safest thing i'd ever done. but it looked soooo damn cool...

i still think it's funny that that's almost the only throw i decdied to catch.. (it was pitch black, i let a lot of things drop just because i didn't think it was worth the risk of really fucking up)

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

Fwirl :pmember
76 posts

Posted:
In the Col2 vid there was a guy in the tribe of the burning sock who lit his staff by taking the fire in his hand from one end and lighting the other....that was cool....but yeah, haven't seen the other one but sounds bloody dangerous!
Luving u all
Fwirl:p

Neo:Wow, that sounds like a really good deal, but I have a better one. How about I give you the finger and you give me my phone call?

halfabikemember
55 posts

Posted:
finding an accident you like and trying to perfect it is kinda tricky

a few times now the one wick of mine would go out while the other was still going strong and i was doing a helicopter/weedwacker type deal and all the sudden i hear the jedi noise "phwooooomp!" and the flame had shot through the inside of my hollow staff and hit the other wick, which apparently still had fuel on it and re-ignited

that was damn cool!

excuse me, santa, have you seen half a bike?

Trippie HippieBRONZE Member
old hand
733 posts

Posted:
--------------------------------------------------
The burn-off's spread the flame not only out but inside the vacumn of the staff when it was coming down (falling creates a small vacumn directly above the item that's falling).

This spread the fireball all along the shaft including the leather handgrip, which resulted in a cool halo of fire around the whole toy on the downwards fall.
--------------------------------------------------

I am a fool i know this, but can you just explain what a burn off is??
I really wanna try this move!!!!!!!!!!
What the best way to pull it off??

Thankyou
TH

Trippie Hippie- Monty Dons secret love child

Fly like a mouse, run like a pillow, be the small book case.

"Last night i met some pixies and we danced around a stone".

Because dressing up is fun.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
oldest, easist and most crowd pleasing trick inna non-existant book. After dipping, dont spin off, light staffs and when going nicely hold the staff horisontal infront of you and spin it as fast as you can along its axis in a small throw. easiest to do one hand ontop of another and making a fast rolling action (like a cigar, or something...). Tada, instant fireball and many cies of 'ohh' and 'ahh'.

IMO a small throw makes a bigger fireball (all the fuel burns off in relativly the same place) but high thrown burnoffs have their visual advantages also. The most inportant thing about this trick is CATCH THE STAFF!! a dropped burnoff is just awfull, dosnt give watches any sence of confidence.

2cents is about 1.32pence I think.

N

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Thanks Nix.

Trippy Hippy, remember when you do tyhis that there is LOTS of fuel spray in every direction. Don't use this technique indoors. or anywhere where spraying fuel everywhere will be a problem for people or property. It is MESSY!!!!

Be careful of even slight breezes as the sprayed fuel can get blown into your eyes, and wait at least 3-5 seconds so that the fuel heats up beforehand.

I think that's about it...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?