Page:
Tanessamember
91 posts

Posted:
Hello. I am setting up this thread for those who independently seek assistance with anything that has to do with baton. I will be on tour across Western Canada with my staff until mid Sept./early Oct., then hopefully I will be touring Eastern Canada after that for as long as I can until it gets way to cold. My internet access during this time is limited (wish I had a lap top), all depending on how many local internet cafes are around. But I will make the effort to periodically check in here.

So, if anyone has any questions or requires assistance with BATON or the moves of, you can ask here and I will do my best to help.

quote:
"...but to carve and shape the very atmosphere through which we look and see, that is the finest of the arts."

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
evening,

Oh look a sea elephant, 18 inches from tip to tail, that down-turned snout is over 18 feet long.
/ Distraction mode seems to have failed.

Tanessa, Been twirling since you were 4!

From club juggling I'd say that I though a flat throw and a fast spining throw with the centre of gravity of the club going to the same height. would have the same time. but I've never actually tried throwing a flat and a spin together.

From physics/engineering I'd say that conventional basic theory would put them as having the same height.
BUT.....

mr Impossible can do anything. so I'm still open minded on this. (from the mr men books, thanks Kat) So...

theory idea, (but I'm not sure, just an idea)
Theres a chance with aero-dynamic thinking,
A spinning staff would have higher drag, (like a spinning wheel on a bicycle) therefore to throw to the same height, you'd have to throw it harder, and it would take longer to get up there and longer to come back down. Effect would be much bigger on lit staff so....
its a maybe.

well the proof is in the experiment, not the theory, Charlie Chuckles and Nix? you got doubles, can you go do some throws lit and unlit
catch, throw and peak at the same height, with a spotter and report back on the airtime?
Do you see this effect, and does it have

Tanessa, I'm strongly of the belief that,
Harder is not better.
But I don't understand, a baton is a stick,
a firestaff is a stick they're the same thing, exactly the same thing.
How can you say that something is harder than itself, sounds like nonsense

But if you are looking for something harder than stick, you might enjoy 1 ball juggling (Contact). I think you might like it, and IMHO the hardest of the lot.

And if you dont mind can you tell me what these mean, not moves but what are they:
Basic T Strut
Fancy Strut
Mace

be cool y'all
Drew

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
"like linear momentum, ang. mom. must be conserved." Coleman.
ohh no nononononnono
Energy not conserved in this system.
lost to air drag, the question is weather the no drag approximation is valid.
And whether in the height we can throw this effect will be noticable or significant.
I'm admitting I'm a bit rusty on this. any ideas?

drew

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
i love my stick, wether its hard or not. one thing i dont like is all the bull shit going on in this thread... politics, politics, politics.
seems it all went to shit.
[leaves room quietly]

before i do leave, the video is the shit, i love what i saw, but in my eyes theres a hugh difference between staff and baton period. neither looks harder than the other.. their both sticks, end of.

Mineiromember
262 posts

Posted:
im with all of you on this one ... tanessa i think i must agree with the guys that they are exactly the same, just longer, or heavier... same thing but different...

and i can proudly say i have now had some baton lessons... just you wait for silliness!!!

back to loving my staff again... i think the imminent arrival of a 1.45 aerotech might have something to do with it... hehe

as i said tho i am loving baton spinning... but for a heavy staff every time i would go for being able to count the 1'2 rotations. ie be able to catch after any no of them... still the same control principle. and the other thing... ithink i will never agree on the extra thumb throw... just can't get the height with my larger toys....

much love and respect to you all(pk be quiet all these political issues were on the edge of resolution !!!!!!)
Rob

brain replacement...anyone?

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
glass.

I recon your right, a spinning object should induce more drag than a still one, but on and unlit staff or batton ill bet this effect is negligible, with a lit staff im not so shure.

alsoalsoalso, agree contact ball good/hard/plesure. kneed more tricks, http please?

PK, ta.

N

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
*bump*

because I want to try and read this tomorow.

actually what I want is to learn contact but I think its funny reading a lexicon that is completley over my head. it makes me want to figure it out.

You guys are unreal, hope I can learn from you sometime in living color.

a

Love is the law.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Does anybody have a full length baton twirling video? I really wann see one in freeze frame motion.

!!"MONSTER ROLLS"!!

And if anybody has any samoan fireknife dancing videos / recommendations for ones to buy, would be well appreciated.

Yay - off topic!

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
Just was at the National Rainbow Gatering and saw a girl named Michelle Baas spinn three Batons on fire at once!! Talk about rapid Fire!!! We spent some time together and come to find out she has a few gold meddles in world baton chapionships. The Girl was amazing to say the least!!! I learned so much Staff from her! What is funny however is the fact that she now has dreads and pearcings, I guess if she was to go back to compeating they would never let her in... even though her name is so big in the Baton world. Crazy sport! I think she would Blow the Compition away! Especily if she spinns them on fire!!!

Peace and Blessings
~Fire Spirit

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
Written by: mcp

!!"MONSTER ROLLS"!!

NOOOOO! not more of these!

ben was trying to mail these when he ame to see me? i wonder how its going now? hug

on teh subject though, does anyone have an active link to the world batton champ vid, i menat to chatch a copy off arsn, but i missed my chance! biggrin

Step (el-nombrie)

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I have a small one I can give you: (the what is baton? one) What is your msn name again? plus i have the 'MONSTER ROLLS' one now too, thanks to drew...

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Elo

Any chance I could see some of this baton action? Would be very lovely indeed...

a

Love is the law.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
yup, tell me your hotmail address by pm before 8 tonight, and I can stream em too you too... or alternately, I could tell you my hotmail a address and yadda yadda yadda...

sooo busy....

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Monstor Rolls is right, those girls have no respect for the laws of physics.

Love is the law.

wedganewbie
1 post

Posted:
Hi Tanessa,

Having learnt the basics of staff in Thailand I have been practising with a broom handle! Sad I know! Anyway, Im about to buy my first staff with which to carve the air with flame and was wandering what you would recommend for a first timer? Long, short, heavy, light, telescopic?? Any advice appreciated for a total newcomer.... Thanks,

Dan

Page: