Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > cummon staffers lets c those signature moves!!!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
snarfmember
28 posts

Posted:
well well well, you staffers should be ashamed .. .. i was having a gawk at the various threads and it struck me that is no (nor has there recently been) any sign of a forum concerning signature moves of us staffers ..
whereas the poi'ers have got 3 bloomin good pages worth....

hence me bringing up the topic now ... before you are all doomed to give up the staff, because of lack of imagination and creativity ..

(you can thank me later)
(gifts will be accepted)

so lets go gang ... throw in some signature moves ,

get this show on the road !!!!!!!!!!

[ 10 July 2002, 13:58: Message edited by: snarf ]

trust, honesty, loyalty, and forgivness...~BAH~... a good friend is someone who'll put you out when you're on fire

redragonxmember
73 posts

Posted:
when im getting really into my 'groove' if i miss a transfer from hand to hand i will recover by grabbing the end of the staff and going into a whole new sword spinning routine. the only problem is, after i'm done with that, people dont want to see the usual stuff anymore for some reason.

~A Soft Rubber Bodybuilding Smurf~

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
once i club swung an innercore staff and reconnected them halfway into the routine. god i'm tacky.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

SparkfireFire coach - Cirque du Soleil
89 posts

Posted:
umm.... double syncronous horizontal throws passing eash other in air, therefore catching with other hands.
hmmmm am i just trying to describe things i haven't seen other people do?
criss cross rolls down and through each leg speratly.
okay. you know with one staff, passing behind the back then above your head for a continous smooth circle always behind you? that with double going opposite directions performing a pass of staves behind the back and above the head. was a tricky one to learn
opposite double staves forward spin with extra spins throw up with right pass behind back with left, catch with left throw with right (staves in backward spin now) pass above the head with left to right, catch with left. repeat.
double same direction, (eg right forward spin) throw with right pass above the head with left catch with left repeat.
then high throw with right pass left to right above head then right to left btb catch with right.
k have to catch my flight back to melbourne now (in bangkok airport
stay light, burn bright.

6,978 posts

Posted:
Hey nice variety in the combos, Dan! glad to hear of another melbournite returning to the fold before the summer doof season sets in
I haven't yet tried combining criss-crosses into rolls before - sounds neato, kinda like pyrotechnique's routine - by leg rolls you mean leg wraps, and not rolls down to the toe? : :
the second combo i have idea what a continuous roll is ?? sounds xtra technicals so kudos!
the third combo - continous pinwheel throws is a nice trick i learnt from someone that you taught, o sifu! ya should post more of your original style on HoP once ya get back, dude!
The trick that I cannot grasp is the swapping helicopter throw. is it the one where ya have to throw them in opposite directions and slightly off altitudes - kinda like the way butterfly moves come close but don't connect ahh dammit i wanna leave work right now, but i don't look ebola'd enough... damn this health!
cyas soonish, matey! (there is a new bushdoof lot - Psy-pneumatix, plus the doof krew Ganesha has been renamed to Imajica)
thanks fer sharing!!

Damnationmember
4 posts

Posted:
i'm not even gonna try some of these moves yet :-)
but a fun one for me which isn't too hard is...(not up to scratch with names of moves so here goes)

right hand horizontal spin above head (helicopter), lean forward so u can pass behind/over the back

continuing spin, bring left hand around body into weed wacker type thing, change hand, pass under/around the right leg (ankle) and immeadiatly bring the staff up and around into

a neck wrap (from front to back) it should role over the neck+shoulder and down to left hand elbow position (can get extra neck spins if want)

then spin (staff) 180 infront before changing hands, now continue for another 180 degrees, twisting hand so palm faces sky and do the reversal(?) of the neck wrap, catching in opposite elbow position. it's great you can add so much to it.

the neck wrap isn't so much as reversed as it is wrapping around the neck from the same side of the body with same hand instead of crossing over left.
hand to right side of neck or vice-ver

sorry if it ain't clear... could someone fill me in with the names of moves please, and also let me know which moves are considered to be good, because i don't know anyone to spin with :-(

cheers all

ps.
is there anything i can to to stop my wrist burning raw when practising fishtails?

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
damn it if only there were some other staff spinner in london.
uhhh,
Come play with the crowd.
details in events
Tue
wed
thur
most fridays/saturdays clubbing with toys
and every weekend on clapham common.

Fishtails. Don't do that like that or you'll find out the meaning of RSI, or fcuked up tendon damage. and you won't be playing with anyhing heavier than a matchstick.

glass

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
ooh, here's my two pesos on this semi-old thread.

for my favorite / best-feeling move, i like to just toss two staffs in opposite directions, one in front wall plane and one in back wall plane, then turn 180 and catch with opposite hands on the respective other sides of the body. sure it's pretty beginner, but so am i. i'm working on putting a 360 turn in, but can only catch one at the moment.

umm, i still don't see anyone kicking their hacky staff nearly as much as i seem to. then again, everone in the videos seem to be able to catch their staffs pretty well, so maybe there's no need. i guess for my combo that 'no one else' does:
. kick it up horizontally from behind the back with the ball of your right foot,
. step under and kick it with inside of left foot off center to make it rotate in the air,
. kick with outside of left foot in same direction,
. step under and turn 180 to kick with inside right foot to change directions,
. catch with either hand and keep spinning and tossing...
errr, and a few variations on that kinda theme. four kicks seems to be about my limit now with rotating staff -- add a few more if i can keep it straight horizontal and bounce it off of knees. the staff that is.. i mean, ... nevermind.

and dude, mineiro (bluecat?), "contact [staff] passing"?? do you use that line at the pubs?

-- Dut

[ 25. June 2003, 16:46: Message edited by: Dut ]

Psiboing
529 posts

Posted:
Hmm, signature move .. ever changing but yeah, normally always have one or two moves/combinations at any time which i just love doing over and over again because they just feel really nice/smooth.

Current best-feeling move would be continuous handsfree neck/back rolls - if i could do them properly Am consistently getting two rounds tho so far & feels very nice ...

Mike

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
I still like my dislocated elbow routine!

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
hehe, I dont have any "signature moves" but I reckon this is more of a "party trick" or "latest favouritest move thread"...

don't really have faves- or aren't good enough yet to have a hallmark move but prefer fast combos with contact moves.

actually- maybe burning my left hand might be my majory thingy! (although I haven't practiced it in ages )

i know which is Psi's party trick- a flick up behind the back, trying to catch with the other hand behind the back, and missing... hehehe

Your life is ending one minute at a time...
So live it.

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
I came across my latest 'signature move' totally by accident.

I call it the 'FACE JAM'

All you do is light up and try any under-developed move, something you've learnt recently.

I don't want to give the technicalities away, but the move ends with you screaming 'Ahhhh... my face!...' and running round the garden smelling like burnt hair.

Have fun.
Jo.

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Damnationmember
4 posts

Posted:
it's a new move,but spinning yourself, you should know they're the most fun ones!

bottom line:yeah it's new move, but f^ck it i'm enjoying it :-)

AyellayenThe smart-arse who kisses Rouge's
128 posts

Posted:
I don't really have a signature move, ie. one that is totally mine, and I am recognised because of it, but I do have a fave.
I grab the staff 3/4 one way and lean forward and throw it around my waist as I bend over. The staff can then spin around on the small of my back. I can sometimes go for a walk if I'm co-ordinated.

It's my world - you all just happen to live in it.

Psiboing
529 posts

Posted:
Originally posted by King Of Bongo:
>i know which is Psi's party trick- a flick up
>behind the back, trying to catch with the other
>hand behind the back, and missing... hehehe
yep - been practicing that one for yeeeaarrs now, still have problems with the tricky 'missing the catch' bit tho, still catch it sometimes by mistake any advice ?

Psi

P.S. Ben, glad you got home OK, have a wicked summer! See you back up here in September!

[ 30. June 2003, 06:06: Message edited by: Psi ]

KajiQuantum Theorist
564 posts

Posted:
Well i do a drum majors sunset a lot.
also the ever popular hit yourself in the head move i a favorite I have

[ 30. June 2003, 17:25: Message edited by: DJ Dimples [Frost] ]

In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird, now the world is weird and they take prozac to make it normal again.

Phuhzzzie Wuhzzzie the Pumpkin Kingmember
141 posts

Posted:
Well I'm back from my trip in the sunlight and fresh air and I thought I'd never see the net again, let alone Hop But I'm back now, but for how long?... Any way, here's a few moves I like... a lot.

BTB Corkscrew: Leaning backwards and corkscew like that, the degree of backward bending is directly related to the length of the staff, would you belive?

Sexy tuck pass: Turn the staff into your elbow roll the staff over your chest and catch in the same tuck.

Roll around on the ground/ Cadaver back pass combo: With a back pass lean forward to a crouch as the staff goes behind you,spin around on your knees and face the opposite direction and get up, gets a round two back passes. Cadaver laying on the ground do a back pass getting up only just enough to let the staff go under your body.

Double sexy tuck pass: See above but swap staves in the middle.

Shoulder rolls, holding sing or double staves, takes a little figuring out where to hold them but you get the hang of it.

Ooh and this one, I forgot.

Monkey majic: Very easy, wrap around waist and than tuck into elbow and move your arm up so the staff is vertical, do this with doubles and you look and feel just like a monkey!

[ 05. July 2003, 20:00: Message edited by: Phuhzzzie Wuhzzzie the Pumpkin King ]

A wise man once said to me, Hey! You! Get out of my wardrobe! and in a way, I guess he was right.

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
Not really a signature move, but my favorite at the moment...

The Emu Neck: Like a fish tail, but it dosn't cross to the other side of your body. It rolls across the back of my hand, then balances on my fore-arm for just long enough to get the back of my hand back in. If you do it continuously, it looks like you've got your hand up an imaginary emu. (apparently)

Emu neck to elbow roll: If you're quick enough, instead of putting the back of the hand back in, you can wiggle your fore arm back in and out again, and the staff rolls neatly over the elbow, where you can catch it (under your arm) on the back of your hand, and you can flick it right back into an emu neck.

--Ben

tpmember
10 posts

Posted:
S'pose a signature move is just like the original 3ball juggling moves you come across accidently and do flowingly..
Mine's to go from a helicopter to double neck spin, round the body, horizontal under the legs (keepimg staff horizonatl looks great), up behind the back and throw.
Its just got a loverly rhythem to it and a pleasure to do!
Met some friendly staffers at glasto and it was great to talk to you all!!
Peace.

p.a mccormack

TheApprovingNinjaFrom the Ashes of a Ninja Rise THE HIPS OF RAGE
371 posts

Posted:
I've got a couple of weird things that I haven't really seen anyone do.
If you lock the staff in your right leg and bring it up horizonntal and rest it on your bended left leg you can actually sweep you leg down and the staff does it's own rotation it's a snazzy little pop up.
There's also fistails for mental invalids, it's basically a pump with a spin on the top of your wrist.

Viva UGLY STAFF

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
My current favorite is taking it from a palm spin, rolling it down my left arm and around my neck onto my right shoulder. Then I lift my right arm and let the staff rotate around my shoulder/body and down to my leg for a kickup into a kneeling helicopter catch.

I also like one handed continuous tosses (flipping the staff around once or twice in the air and catching it in the same hand, ala Fire Ninja).

And just about any contact move is my forte now... they are so fun!

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
I dont understand hardly anything in this thread, pump? would peaple remeber to put basic thigns like horisontal/vertical/forwards/backwards please?

and where the hell are all thease old school threads comin from anyway?

Nix?

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
is it me or has nix? been genrally confused since glastonbury...?

draw your own conclusions.

i have sticks too now. how do they work?

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
yup, he's not quite all there at the mo, think he killed too many btain cells this time

Although, more explanation would be good in regards a 'pump' please.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Bastards!

Ill get you.....

:rubshandsandcackles:

L*r

[ 13. July 2003, 02:45: Message edited by: +) ]

-><- Kallisti

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
For clarification, my kickup is horizontal. Think Glass's contact video, and then add the "around the shoulder/body" part. It rolls down my side, and then (while still spinning counter-clockwise) down my leg where I kick it up.

And if you watch Fire Ninja's videos you'll understand the one handed tosses I was talking about...

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yo,

iBeefy: I didnt mean you, although have you tried catching the kickup on the other foot? thoese one handed tosses have never really inpressed me much, sorry.

-><- Kallisti

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I played with the idea, never really got good enough with it to work in and I got distracted by other things I learned. Impressive or not, it feels really good, which is why I usually work it into all my routines. Flows out of a lot of other things.

But anyway, on to more signature moves....

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
quote:
But seriously folks, have you tried the one hander considerably off center? Watch the birdie!
N

[ 15. July 2003, 06:30: Message edited by: +) ]

-><- Kallisti

dwuanosmember
79 posts

Posted:
well a signature is not a thing taken lightly.. wow my computor is making unhappy faces at me? But there is a move I like to call me. Not cause it's a trademark nor nuthing. Just cause I can do it. It kinda involves cossak dancing and figure 8ing between the legs... thats all I'm telling cause other wise you all would be getting into my medicare benifits and all hell would break-loose.. ponder wisly.

6,978 posts

Posted:
My signature move is where i take a pen and write my name. Oh boy winter does horrible things to my posts.

hail and well met, sir dwaunos! hey dude, if that's the trick i'm thinking of, it's one of the only effective tricks i can execute with oversized single staves.
I am not yet a man
:crosses legs:

Page: