Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > cummon staffers lets c those signature moves!!!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
snarfmember
28 posts

Posted:
well well well, you staffers should be ashamed .. .. i was having a gawk at the various threads and it struck me that is no (nor has there recently been) any sign of a forum concerning signature moves of us staffers ..
whereas the poi'ers have got 3 bloomin good pages worth....

hence me bringing up the topic now ... before you are all doomed to give up the staff, because of lack of imagination and creativity ..

(you can thank me later)
(gifts will be accepted)

so lets go gang ... throw in some signature moves ,

get this show on the road !!!!!!!!!!

[ 10 July 2002, 13:58: Message edited by: snarf ]

trust, honesty, loyalty, and forgivness...~BAH~... a good friend is someone who'll put you out when you're on fire

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
umm, I used to think I had signature moves, but they have all just faded into a sorta style, longarm stuff mostly.

Suppose it would have to be 360 shoulder pivot if anything, but i dont feel all that unique doing it...

N

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
If you'll look at the poi threads, you may notice that a lot of staffers have replied int here too. The threads mostly began a long time ago when poi and staff weren't seperated(mainly because there was virtually no staff threads).

So (as already put in one of the signature movs threads) my two signature moves with staff are...

1. My figure-8-with-a-dislocated-elbow-routine.
2. Putting the staff out with a burst of speed.

Please note, these are all for non-firiey audiences, as most of my practice is doen with a hat out to pay for the fuel...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Mineiromember
262 posts

Posted:
hmmmm. never really thought about it til now, not yet got round to looking at the poi moves section (i kind of gave up learning new poi moves other than slightly accidentally after discovering contact and double staff...)
do you mean something that you love to do an defines the way you spin or something noone else does?
Rob

brain replacement...anyone?

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
hummm, lets see

turning 360 degrees, but keeping the staff spinning in one place (like an around the world, except my body's moving and not the staff, its nifty)

and a burn the nose (sorry for the poi name, cant think of what else to call it) with double staffs, its also wicked cool, but i need shorter staffs to perform it effectively

oh, and transfering the flame from end of the staff to the other with my hand...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Tanessamember
91 posts

Posted:
What do you consider a signature move? A pure original? Or just a fabulous move, like a double illusion? Is there any crazy stuff out there? I'm not so sure about this signature thing anymore, who's to claim they haven't done it before. Oh, I get it, maybe this is just a bragging forum, in which case I'll leave you boys to be boys.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Wow, Tanessa, we're much nicer than to descend to a pissing contest here
/hands tanessa some traditional Japanese Green Tea (the really nice warm one that doesn't come from a can )
We're all adults here, and it's hardly as hostile as any competitive sport. That the the reason that I love firetwirling!
I am unsure what you mean, then when you proffer the demand 'Is there any crazy stuff out there?' while questioning the validity of the concept of 'signature moves' - the reader is left wondering of the tone of the post when it's finished with
quote:
Oh, I get it, maybe this is just a bragging forum, in which case I'll leave you boys to be boys
we're here to help each other out - and make friends on the way, so let's not assume nasty things about my online home, hey?
/extends a bunch electronic daffodils
^_^

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
taneesa, if you happened to glance at the original signature move topic in poi moves, youd see its not so much a pissing contest, but rather a statement of moves, that arent usually seen or performed, especially with newer members to the sport, so these topics are not to brag but rather to extend a variety of new moves to both experienced and inexperienced spinners that visit these boards...

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
god, why does bender always say what i want to first...

i feel like a freakin echo...

Tanessamember
91 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the tea bender, I needed to chill out a bit (as I have been on defense the last while). My expressions of baton I know have quirked a few, but I'm not out to argue. You guys seem to forget that I twirl fire staff too, and I love it as well. As for inquiring on crazy stuff out there, sure, I'd love too hear if anyone has got some move that I haven't seen (as I am here to learn too you know).
quote:
"...but to carve and shape the very atmosphere through which we look, that is the finest of the arts."

6,978 posts

Posted:
a horizontal wrap/palm combo that i perform the most so that i feel safe:)
wrap to left ankle (bent over)
-> transition (lift staff, stand up)
wrap to waist
-> transition (bend over again)
wrap to right ankle
-> transition (to btb)
right handed btb palm 3 revolutions
- transition (lower staff to left ankle)
repeat to first step

snarfmember
28 posts

Posted:
thats nifty ben ... dont mind if i call u ben do u
.. i tried the leg wraps, feels quite cool to do .real stafistikated ... pretty hard to do fast tho , i rekon anyway ...

by asking for signature moves i didnt really mean moves that noone else does (although that would be a bonus) , but more moves with that extra zang, maby with a hint of class, and a drizzling of flare .....

i like to do a handstand , and spin the staff horizontally with my feet , then kick the staff up into the air - stand up and resume with the spinning .....( not really, but could you imagine that!!!!! , that woud b mighty fine)

trust, honesty, loyalty, and forgivness...~BAH~... a good friend is someone who'll put you out when you're on fire

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
I do my own little patented arm wrap which leads into a neck wrap whilst moving 180 degrees which I use to get the staff behind me so I can do a butterfly spin up for a helicopter spin which goes from hand to hand then up in the air, hopefully catching on the palm again which can then be transfered down for my own little version which looks a bit like that reversed jedi move thing that Xaeda teaches.

Sometimes I keep a bit of paraffin in my mouth during all this for a fire ball at the end, but only when I'm feeling really cocky!

Did anyone understand my explanation? Sorry but as I've said before I'm not that up there on the spinning jargon, although I am learning it slowly!

A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words...

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
pyro, where onna arm, vertical armwrap to horisontal neckwrap?

I think I know what you mean...

N

-><- Kallisti

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
anyone do the thing where you roll it down ur arm from your shoulder and then snap it off the back of your hand? i like that one.

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

6,978 posts

Posted:
snarf, i don't mind u calling me ben if you don't mind me calling you incessantly.
(my other choice was 'telepathically' but 5 out of 10 test audiences preferred pepsi )
here's the first routine-combo that i got comfortably familiar with (and hence very rapid at performing)
1. fwd figure of 8 (right side)
2. ->transition (btb transfer)
3. rev figure of 8 (left side)
4. ->transition (extending left leg, move staff to top of left thigh)
5. thigh wrap (left leg)
6. ->transition (transfer staff to right hand)
7. fwd figure of 8 (right side)
8. ->transition (btb transfer)
9. rev figure of 8 (left side)
10. ->transition (extending right leg, move staff to top of right thigh)
11. thigh wrap (right leg)
12. ->transition (right hand grasps staff)

* ya can obviously perform both thigh wraps consecutively, but if ya have more spins, it looks faster and sounds neat-o
* I like to write in this notation, cus it emphasises detail in directions, planes/locations, and most importantly, expands on the transitions - cus it's real hard to imagine transitions when all that ya have to go on are just the names of the tricks (eg. 'trickB to trickB') Plus also if it were only feasible, I'd talk in my own language all the time. BWARK! I will shift my focus to 36mm.
um what i meant to say is that i'll stift me focus to explaining combos rather than simply listin' th e trixs involved.

when i have video mood again, ima post the 'North Dragon Spanks Silly Monkey' form with swords.
it will hurt a-plenty

snarfmember
28 posts

Posted:
ooooo can barely wait ..... ancicipation rising to the extent of continuous twitching .. .... aussies ehy , cant live with'em ..... hmmm , leave it at that ehy

since we're allready on combos , one i tried earlier which felt pretty cool ...close your eyes and imagine safri duo playing "dum de dumde dum ... dumde dum de dum bop bop bop ... you get the picture " ... now open your eyes ......OPEN YOUR EYES !!!!!!!!!!! .... they should have a sound bite on this this thing , hope u guys dont spend too much time with your eyes shut .... hmmm anywhoo

.start off with a couple of overhead horizontals

.then take it below and do a couple of low-in front horizontals

.spread your legs and chuck the staff through so your doing low horizontals behind you

.chuck it again backwards forwards b f b f b...
untill u get bored ( or the audience starts throwing flamable objects at you)

.the change the position of your wrists so that your doing a normal behind the back windmill ( using both hands)

.take the left hand away, and go over your left shoulder with it (like trying to scratch your back)

.when the staff is at a verticle stage grab it and do like a sword fling into the air and cathc it at the front of your body

.its nothing flashy but it lookks fairly cool
you can also throe the staff from the front and catch it at the back ( basically do the reverse of what i just (very badly) explained)

play around with it

(oo and while people are reading this , for those who do performances how much if anything do you charge ... just interesting to know)

~~DONT B A STRANGER~~

[ 17 July 2002, 21:37: Message edited by: snarf ]

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Kyrian:
anyone do the thing where you roll it down ur arm from your shoulder and then snap it off the back of your hand? i like that one.
Nice Kyrian! I started doing that a lot more recently. You can do it as well so it starts of the back of your hand then rolls onto your shoulder and over your back to the next shoulder and then down to the snap off the back of your other hand, it looks sweet on fire!

[ 17 July 2002, 23:33: Message edited by: pyrophile ]

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
ur my hero pyrophile!

*runs off to try*

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yeah, been doin dat too, also if you sweep the arm over your head as the staff comes to about the elbow it rolls round onto the forearm and up into palmspin, smooth as.

Also, from a burnoff catch it on the back of your hand and roll it down the arm, spin round the neck and away (you can let it drop off the other arm sideways into vertical if you like).

N

-><- Kallisti

Wikkamanmember
259 posts

Posted:
Nix could you clarify that manuva please, it sounds wild!

The answer is never the answer. What's really interesting is the mystery. If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking. I've never seen anybody really find the answer-- they think they have, so they stop thinking. But the job is to seek mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in which strange plants grow and mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater than the need for an answer.-- Ken Kesey

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
The staff spinns away from you inna burnoff, catching it on the centerpoint on the back of your hand stops the spin and then you roll it towards your shoulder aong the arm, when it gets to you neck it spins round either way (a little tweaking of the ballace point kneeded for the choice) and onto the other arm where it cane be caught in elbow grip, span to the end and flicked or aloed to drop off into horisontal.

better?

N

-><- Kallisti

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
That is absolutely wicked Nix!

I understand the palm spin move but the one with the burnoff, are you saying that when the staff gets to your neck from your hand it rolls around it (180) and if so what movement do you do to get that spin off the staff when it is just rolling down your arm?

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
The staff starts on center on your hand and as you roll it you direct it either to the front a little or the back a little, whichever side the center is biased to the staff will swing round, the faster the roll down the arm, the faster the spin.

N

-><- Kallisti

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
Ah I see! Nicely Nix, will give it a bash tonight.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Bender, I liked you notation and found the description easy to read (visualise). Looking forward to the sword routine

I’ve never thought much about sig moves. Something flowing would be good. I would probably start low, moving the staff horizontally around the body a few times, taking it up for a neck roll, then into a palm spin/toss. Though I still haven’t got the elbow bit smooth yet.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
right, here the new combo Im workin on, trying not to repeat any moves and not touch hand.

540 shoulder pivot into left elbow catch
fick into air
jedi catch to elbow grip (right hand)
cross ataff to opposite shoulder round armit and onto back for a hole spin.
right arm catch staff and bring up under the shoulder onto back.
180 pivot across back to left elbow grip
turn 180 and transfer onto right backhand and fishtail.
turn fistail under arm into elbow grip.
horosaontal pivot from right shoulder to left.
strait into baackhand spin.
spin dow arm, across neck and to oppisite hand.

not saying that this is by any means smooth, but it feels sooooo nice.

sorry bout the terminology, it all exists on other threads somewhere...

Love

NX

-><- Kallisti

Mineiromember
262 posts

Posted:
nix for gods sake get up here before i leave!!!!!!!!!!!! i have a feeling there is a lot we could learn from each other, and also so many amazing things you are doing that sound like things i am doing i cannot wait to try unison and contact passing(hheeehehehehehe, got some crazy ideas there )
sort it out

brain replacement...anyone?

Maikaethirionmember
1 post

Posted:
I'm new to this (honestly I haven't spun with fire yet, only glowsticks), but I have a few that are fun.

-Start with a reverse figure eight in the right hand, out to the side. Bring it in front of the body into a toss. Twist your body 180 degrees, catch it behind you. I usually end with a forward figure eight in the right hand, but I'm working on catching it in the left.

It has the neat effect of reversing the direction you are spinning the staff, something I've been trying to figure out for a while.

This one's hard to explain, as I'm not familiar with the terminology, but I'll try.

-Start with a low horizontal spin.
-Pass to your left hand in front of your body, with one end of the staff going between your legs.
-twist the staff around behind you, still horizontal.
-do a reverse of the pass in front. From left to right, and bring it in front of your body. (This requires some flexibility, bending over backwards helps a *LOT*)

And that's my two cents.

The fire is never truly dead, it only seeks a spark.

Fwirl :pmember
76 posts

Posted:
oh, and transfering the flame from end of the staff to the other with my hand... Whiffle Squeek...is that u in Col2? In the Tribe of the Burning Sock cause a guy on there does that move...looks sweet as....just wondering...
oh don't have a signature move as I started staff today...
Luving u all
Fwirl:p

Neo:Wow, that sounds like a really good deal, but I have a better one. How about I give you the finger and you give me my phone call?

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
heh, sorry lydia hun whiffle has yet to grace us with taping his moves. he's presumably gonna do some stuff for COL4..... right?

sorry, i'm all off-topic, i don't really have any signature staff moves yet unless you count acidentally dropping it so it rolls perfectly down the stairs slowly one by one.

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

Page: