Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > cummon staffers lets c those signature moves!!!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
snarfmember
28 posts

Posted:
well well well, you staffers should be ashamed .. .. i was having a gawk at the various threads and it struck me that is no (nor has there recently been) any sign of a forum concerning signature moves of us staffers ..
whereas the poi'ers have got 3 bloomin good pages worth....

hence me bringing up the topic now ... before you are all doomed to give up the staff, because of lack of imagination and creativity ..

(you can thank me later)
(gifts will be accepted)

so lets go gang ... throw in some signature moves ,

get this show on the road !!!!!!!!!!

[ 10 July 2002, 13:58: Message edited by: snarf ]

trust, honesty, loyalty, and forgivness...~BAH~... a good friend is someone who'll put you out when you're on fire

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
learn slowly slow over softly soft.
being aware of the mental barriers is the first step in overcoming them.
be safe,
try not to use the word 'poonani' too often in polite conversation.
these are things i have learnt iwf staffcrobatix.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

_pOp_BRONZE Member
Playing OldSchool Poi
593 posts

Posted:
yikes!!!

don't know the lingo, don't know the language (being new and dutch), but I'll check out that "naming staff moves" thread next.
wow! exellent site bender!!! makes me finally wanna start my own site now! but first so much to learn. I joined circus school recently to integrate acro with poi or staff, and your site helped speed that process. and I am a fast learner.

as far as signature moves go: as I said, I'm only new to the staff, but just as with poi; people always seem to want to go bigger, better, faster and higher. personally I like the slow stuff with the occasional high impuls rush (just like love making actually).

one of the thing I seem to do more than others (I've been commented on it) is stops (in staff moves, not love making ). say the staff version of body-wraps.
my favorite here is (single staff): coming out of figure 8, in front of body switch hands, make 360 turn with body keeping staff there(switching hands).. when back at start position: stop staff with left hand swinging it back in the other direction, mirror-imaging the move. and again, and again... (told you I didn't speak the lingo )

but now I need to get out of here, try some of the new stuff I just saw...
hasta la pasta!

eric pOpsteric.

meditate eRic.

I'm not normally a religious man, but if you're up there, save me, Superman!

CinderpupSILVER Member
30 posts

Posted:
Well, one move that gets my audience goin for staff is when I toss the staff up high horizontally, sit down quick, catch the staff while sitting and keep it spinnin horizontal. From the i'd lay back, bring my knees to my chest, put the staff on the bottoms of my feet laying across both of them then I'd launch it up into the air, quickly jumping to my feet and catching the staff. hehe :-)

And where I go the flame shall follow. Be warmed by my outward souls flare and may it guide you through darkened paths.

6,978 posts

Posted:
ima truly glad that you got so much out of the site, popster! Your reaction alone has justified the time i put into it - may more and more people share the joy of staffage

SilvurBRONZE Member
sumthin sumin smmnm....
372 posts

Posted:
so i just figured out how to spin it all the way around me without turning my body. you know how you can spin it behind your back, and then above your head but still behind you, and then back down again, and keep doing that for as long as you want? well, if when you have passed it from one hand to the other, and you spin your wrist forward (do half of a backwards butterfly) you can kick it in front of you, but still have it going in the same direction. switch hands, and bring it behind you again. it looks really cool.

29 days to go!!

joe_sixstepsmULti-torTOISe
310 posts
Location: Kent currently, Cornwall soon, New Zealand eventua...

Posted:
Mwah... nice moves there. Have to see if I can bully this computer into printing it out, then go to the park and play play play.

If I was able to call anything a signature move, it would be one of these two:

1: Round and round the legs.
Start with legs well spread, bending forward and doing a very low helicopter, or grass-cutter or whatever. The way I do it is spinning the staff so it looks clockwise to me, in my right hand. (you need to be holding it in your fingers to spin it enough) *** Bring your right hand out round your right leg, timing it so that the staff (which you are finger spinning the whole while) is lined up to be passed between your legs from back to front to your left hand. *** You then spin with the left, bring your right hand back to the front and pass back. *** You've got however long it takes you to do the 180 in your right to get your left hand back behind you, and then you pass Right-Left Front-Back through your legs. *** Spin it in the fingers of your left hand as you bring it back round the outside of your left leg, pass back to your right hand, and start again... it goes on and on until you catch the back of your knee and set your trousers on fire!

2: The Amazing Wheel Of Death!
Actually this is just a cartwheel with one staff, so don't get excited. You need to be able to do a one-handed cartwheel, so if you're not sure then practice that first before you splash on the paraffin. *** I find the easiest time to do this is after a low pass behind the back. You want to be passing FROM whichever hand you want to do the cartwheel on. *** As the staff spins up in your off-hand, begin to turn your body toward that hand, and raise the other (your cartwheel hand) into the air. *** By the time the staff has spun to the point where you'd normally be needing to do a shoulder roll, your body should have turned enough to be dropping down into the cartwheel. *** The next bit is just a flurry of confusion for me... but when I get it right I'm back on my feet quick enough to do a through-the-legs pass before my off-hand has popped out of socket...

Sorry if these are old tricks and everyone knows them already! I've been a bit out of touch with the whole community for a long while, and I've got no idea what everyone else is up to... haven't even seen another staff swinger since I left Oz over a year ago! I'm based in England at the moment,down in Kent, so if anyone is nearby I'd be very keen to meet up and swap tricks. Holed up in a big house with two spare bedrooms and a massive bath! You're all welcome!

The Confusion Squid has many tentacles

SilvurBRONZE Member
sumthin sumin smmnm....
372 posts

Posted:
wow. so many cool things to try!!! i can't do a whole lot with my little staff yet, but i'm learning. you can do sooooo much more with a bigger staff!

Kenshinmember
26 posts

Posted:
Hmm.. signature move? I'm not fantastic at spinning just yet, but I have a couple of moves that I think are just plain me...

1. "Oh yeah, I'm cool.."
This one's really simple to do, but it's just that I can do it and people I spin to can't ^_^
I just go from a figure eight into spinning the staff one handed in front of me (without it going through my fingers) with the other arm held behind my back. I also lean back a little. If that makes any sense to anyone out there... It's just kind of a big-headed move, cos I've got the rhythm to spin one handed and the non-spinners drop it when they try

2. Random jumpy thing.
This one sounds really stupid to write down, but I love doing it. Holding the staff in my right hand, I run forward doing a figure eight, then halfway through when it reaches my left side I chuck it up in the air, then jump up after it, and catch it behind me and spin it round my back. Then I just land and keep spinning

jetstreammember
14 posts

Posted:
I have a different approach to the signature moves. I've started doing a bunch of different tricks on high wire. It's fun and audiences like it.

robnunchucksBRONZE Member
enthusiast
363 posts

Posted:
not difficult but other than me people i dont realy see anyone else doing it i like to snap it to a stop in my armpit then flick it out again or do shoulder passes

My nunchucks vital statictics biggrin

weight: 500g
handle lenght: 16 inches
chain length: 2 inches

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
bump

there is a nice little collection of moves in here. I would like to add my current work in progress. Its not clean enough to demo yet but if im gonna have a sig move, i'd like this to be it.

pass btb helicoptor

horizontal throw from btb

Lean back 180 degrees - limbo style- either one hand on ground or not (throw can be done as body reaches vertical also).

Catch and lower head shoulders to ground, Palm spins.

Throw horizontal

Kip up as described by bender a page or so back.

can anyone do horizontal contact catches? im not havin much luck....

a

ps thanks bender, you inspired this bendiness in me.

Love is the law.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Excuse my ignorance, but whats a horizontal contact catch?

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

6,978 posts

Posted:
to my understanfing, a horz contact catch is

-catching the horizontally thrown staff with the hand grasping the staff as either:

1. into a palming move

2. into a horizonal fishtail or simliar contact movement that so bleedin new that it has no name other than 'that thing that Tepooka do' wink:)

also mate, the back body reach thinagmy is a backbridge. it requires abs of steel and loose pants biggrin incidentally the back bridge is similar to a nice yoga position that 'assists' the lowest, sexual/red chakra peace
EDITED_BY: bender™ (1094170813)

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Backbridge eh, cool to finally have a better name for it.... the most difficult part of this for me is not pulling weird faces from the effort mad, that and gettin a smooth palm spin (still finding this really hard with concentrate contoured grip - concentrate were happy to tell me they were workin on a flat more contact friendly break down version too.... smile)

*looks forward to testing out new 'imroved' chakras.....* hehe

Contact catch:

I was thinkin more of a steve like move.

So the staff comes down in the air horizontally and is caught on back of hand and allowed to role down steve like.... Anybody?

If it can be done, maybe it could be tossed back over the head (or straight up for same hand catch) in an arc for a continious steve with helicoptor toss.

Love is the law.

nativeSILVER Member
sleeping with angels
508 posts

Posted:
ok here is mine i do a dobble rap behinde the back to a under leg trasnfer into a flat spin double leg rap into i high through... does this count as a siginture move? or is it to many moves combined???

SLEEP WITH ANGELS muckieha

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
WTH is a
Written by:

leg rap

and
Written by:

high through

???

Did you mean a contact leg roll? and a high throw?

I dont really stick to 1 sig move but am partial to btl pass's and finger rolls wink they say they go good with sweet and sour sauce. ubblol

Klaymen180 posts

Posted:
my signature move is this move called spin the staff :P.

Oh, and also i tend to do a lot of 'waterfall' style 3 beat fig 8s, with the fwd fig8 infront of the body and the reverse one sorta behind it in a semi waist wrap affair. Yep i do that a lot.

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
My current favourite is a handstand with a cross trapped under (over?) my chin

spinning backwards, in time, let the thumb ends of your staffs go behind your back as you cross your arms on top of your head, and keep going till you end up with each staff on the wrong side of your head and your fists near your opposite ears (a bit like taking off a jumper but getting confused). As the staffs form a diagonal cross, you're bending down and trapping the centre of the cross under your chin, so that as the staffs get horizontal you're going up into a handstand.

On the way out you can leave them trapped under your chin, and come out with some double fishtailey stuff when you get bored...

monkeys ate my brain

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
cheeky monkey.

i'm happily playing right now with those cross transfers you me and dave were experimentinginventing out front in graz....

description pending when i work out this last transfer.....

R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
wow sounds brilliant.

I've been doing cartwheels with a staff balanced on the back of the neck, in the same way as Moseph does the cross lock (I reckon) although my variation sounds a bit like its old news smile

oh well. I plod along smile

josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

6,978 posts

Posted:
josh, if you call the pace of your inventiveness 'plodding along' then i my brain will explode if i see u at full tilt.

peace hippies, always so humble tongue

ps waistwrap horiz throws to palming catches.

The Phyreflyjourneyman
81 posts

Posted:
toss from behind the back with my right hand, step underneath the staff while in midair and catch the staff in fiont of me whil keeping the rotation. (i know you all could do that stuff but I have been doing staff for only 2 mths ..)

fire is the light that shines in all of us. Be sure your light shines brightly wherever you go.

stickmanWorld Champ Procrastinator
580 posts

Posted:
one of my favorites (dont know if its been posted cuz im far too lazy to read all the posts :P) is a contact move:

(i like bender's system.. dont mind if i steal bender.. thanx :P )
1. extend left elbow horizontally out ahead of you and wrap the staff around your bent arm
2. extend left arm and let the staff roll over your left hand
3. straight onto your right arm(which you by now have extended too by the way smile )
4. (this is the trickiest part) pull in your right arm as the staff is on the back of your fingers and extend the right elbow as you did the left
5. the staff should automatically roll over your right elbow and then you can catch it with right hand

dont know if this is very clear.. its def. not one i made up but it looks really sweet

580 posts

Posted:
oh, and theres one mot taught me which i havent been able figure out completely confused

lets say you just spun the staff behind your back from left hand to right and are about to bring it back to the front (simple little trick, i know, but im horrible with names redface
instead of just bringin it round, you roll it onto the back of your hand and swing it round to the front and end up doing a figure 8 on the back of your hand

takes a lot of balance and all, but it looks really cool if youre up close, otherwise its as theyre just doing figure 8

580 posts

Posted:
wow, i just realized what an old thread this is... shame on you, allyou staffers mad

Frederick the RecklessBRONZE Member
Troupe Leader and founder, Fire and Steel
241 posts

Posted:
i have a couple of signature moves, one of which i haven't used in over a year... that is a staff-point handspring, the second is done blindfolded. i jump over my staff, held in both hands shoulder-width apart, and back again. the third i have is a palmspin, carried from overhead to behind the back (while ducking,) and transfered from the right to left hand, then overhead again. if there's enough spin left in it, i like to move forward, spin-stepping in counter-rotation to the spin of the staff.

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

580 posts

Posted:
*jumps for joy*
hihii, i think i might have one..ive never seen anyone else do it.. its nothing spectacular but until someone proves me wrong im gonna take credit for this one
its just the pass behind the head but then instead of bringin it back down you turn around, switch hands and keep turning so it goes behind your head again.. and keep going and going and going and going.. untilyou fall over from diziness..

Page: