Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > cummon staffers lets c those signature moves!!!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
snarfmember
28 posts

Posted:
well well well, you staffers should be ashamed .. .. i was having a gawk at the various threads and it struck me that is no (nor has there recently been) any sign of a forum concerning signature moves of us staffers ..
whereas the poi'ers have got 3 bloomin good pages worth....

hence me bringing up the topic now ... before you are all doomed to give up the staff, because of lack of imagination and creativity ..

(you can thank me later)
(gifts will be accepted)

so lets go gang ... throw in some signature moves ,

get this show on the road !!!!!!!!!!

[ 10 July 2002, 13:58: Message edited by: snarf ]

trust, honesty, loyalty, and forgivness...~BAH~... a good friend is someone who'll put you out when you're on fire

Oakenmember
34 posts

Posted:
Hi folks... Just registered about 5 minutes ago. First time Im involved in anything like this! As for a signature move.... I wont say I have any moves that particularly define my twirling (cause I love them all!!!) But one that I created that stands out is:

What I like to call: The halfturn power throw.

I was experimenting one day with throws trying to figure out how to give em a little more "oomph" and found that instead of doing a front toss or backspin release (Im making all these name up by the way) which is what I was accustomed to, I stumbled upon a great trick to send your stick up to 25 feet up (depending on strength) whilst spinning at about 500 miles an hour.

I start out doing the extended arm figure 8 I suppose you'd call it, and then go into the halfturn (I hope thats a familiar term I havent met many staff guys or gals in canada-- Do a few half turns go gather some nasty speed and on the sticks last rotation before it is directly in front of you, give an extra wrist snap and whip your shoulder from forward to back and release. Take a look up and admire your handiwork, set for impact and catch that mother-@#$^*!!!

Hope I said all that right...
signed.... shy newcomer....
ps... any other self taughts out there?

One Love, Dont forget.

Oakenmember
34 posts

Posted:
Also... can anyone give me some advice on helicopter tecniques... im so inept!

One Love, Dont forget.

Kyle McLeanBRONZE Member
Living it up
363 posts

Posted:
Umm, there seems to have been a lot said already about calling (or not calling) a move 'your signiture. So to skip over all of that and continue in the spirt of fun, sharing, free love and small gnomes, here is a fun one. If you can do a little contact and a little acro, it is not to hard to do them at the same time. Don't know if folks are already mucking around with this sort of thing, as we just went to the park and worked it out. For an example, you can start off with it rolling around your shoulders, do a neck pinch, and then some backwards or forwards handsprings (this is not nearly as parapligia inducing as it sounds btw). The hard part is to keep the staff moving along with a bit of flow. Nice when it works.

Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yo oaken,

Have a look at the 'nameing staff moves x' thread, It has a lot of basic names for basic movements that tend to get used, you will get more out of the site and be better understood! cos im a little puzzled! sorry i dont do links on this comp, its too slow.

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Oakenmember
34 posts

Posted:
Thanx adept... 'preciate the input, man...

One Love, Dont forget.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Erm, a pretty move is to transition to a position where the staves/staff are tucked or held together in front, with the body propelled into a tumble then jumping back up with a kip up.

With one staff, you can use the free hand to power the kip up.
With two staves, you need to execute the 'no hands' version to power your flipping action.
Otherwise, you can head to hongkong and get a wire team to make it happen.

yay for random icons!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Oh, oh, oh, I've been thinking about contact staffing while doing cartwheels or handsprings, but I have no gumption to try it cause I can barely do them anyway. Love to see a video (hint hint!)

Bender, don't quite get what your describing... I just worked something out that SOUNDS like that where I take it from spinning in front of me, and roll over the stick kinda (dive/summersault) and come out spinning beside me... like that?

6,978 posts

Posted:
like this
i'm too lazy to write up an instructional just yet. let's just say i had a very big personal event this week.

Kyle McLeanBRONZE Member
Living it up
363 posts

Posted:

That looks great Bender! I had to run outside and try it right away. I can get get it when using a hand up, but as for my no hands attempt...
...well let's just say that the end result lacked the gazalle like grace of your clip.
Very cool though, I've been wanting some acro moves that don't tie up any hands at all (most of mine I use one for).
Love 'n' Stuff,
K

A) it does feel as good

6,978 posts

Posted:
a note to note: unless the technique is very clean and the coordination on-the-spot, don't try a no-hands kip-up over hard concretey surfaces. like concrete. and my style's a lot more llama than it is gazelle! go on.. smell me!
:wags fur at Kyle:

Kyle McLeanBRONZE Member
Living it up
363 posts

Posted:
Eeeep...
Ok, I believe you just don't do anything rash. I'm sure you could wreak much havock in the world if you ever stopped using your smell only for good.
I'll have to take your word for it that that is indeed llama scent however as my encounters with llamas have been scant (unless you include the robed ones I suppose).
Happy Hiking...

edited to make sense...

[ 02. August 2003, 01:23: Message edited by: Kyle McLean ]

A) it does feel as good

6,978 posts

Posted:
yes, llama smells not only get worse as it soaks with rain, but also quickly sends threads off-topic

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
lol,

I was trying just normal kickups *with* hands today, bluudy hell mate thats hard! Began to get a handle pon one handed cartwheels though!

I can touch my toes now! Yay!

T

-><- Kallisti

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
I seem to be missing something again... kip-ups? I'm picturing kicking the staff up, and I don't think that's what it is....

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Oh and bender: nice man!

Can't wait to hurt myself trying that... when I do it I have to stop the staff in its rotation (in a wall plane, not horizontal like it looks like you do), and then dive roll with it. I'm told it looks cool. Must... get... video camera!!!

6,978 posts

Posted:
am working on static backflips with doubles, but the pain...oh the pain...

6,978 posts

Posted:
here is a step through diagram of the no-hands kip-up with staves:

Non-Https Image Link

note: what a nice arse!

Kyle McLeanBRONZE Member
Living it up
363 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by i8beefy2:
Oh, oh, oh, I've been thinking about contact staffing while doing cartwheels or handsprings, but I have no gumption to try it cause I can barely do them anyway. Love to see a video (hint hint!)

Hey i8beefy2 ,
If it won't clog your inbox, I can send you a short 2MB .mov file of a (somewhat sloppy) contact acro example. Happy to send it to anyone else that wants it, I just don't have anywhere to post it
Take 'n' Make care,
K

A) it does feel as good

6,978 posts

Posted:
:raises hand excitedly:
oh me me! -> bender@ihug.com.au
hey i noticed your posts say you come from brisbane.. we live on the SAME PLANET MATE!
woot!

Kyle McLeanBRONZE Member
Living it up
363 posts

Posted:

Yahoo was being a bit glitchy but there should now be a small shiny package on it's way. The daylight that you can see in the video is of that certain hue that comes only after a night of no sleep...
Bender, it would appear that we do indeed both inhabit the same planet... Rrr matey, could be the same Island even. Ye just be a lot closer to EC ye lucky scalywag...

Cheers

A) it does feel as good

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Oh, yes please do! mike@hallock.net

And I also have a server with lots o space on it if you need to host movies...

6,978 posts

Posted:
EC? what is this EC you speak ok, hu-man!
yeah mate it's like the whole year is gunna be one llooooong wait until the biggest outdoors psytrance party Ozland's ever seeen!
Posford/shpongle is confirmed to be on at sunrise!! this is gunna be a meeeesssss!

Morkaimember
9 posts

Posted:
Fishtails on the back of neck...teehee....and yes u can do it!

fierybeastmember
3 posts

Posted:
call me the fool (!) but it seems to me that the obvious progression from beginning spinning is to build up speed and contact spin, but has anyone moved off into a completely different kind of motion - its hard to explain, but instead of contact spinning or excelling in throws, is anyone yet to become the ultimate spinny one?

ummm

wombleofmordormember
13 posts

Posted:
all you have to do is realise the truth...
...there is no staff

never underestimate the healing power of custard.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by fierybeast:
call me the fool (!) but it seems to me that the obvious progression from beginning spinning is to build up speed and contact spin, but has anyone moved off into a completely different kind of motion - its hard to explain, but instead of contact spinning or excelling in throws, is anyone yet to become the ultimate spinny one?
thats what im aiming for

seriously tho, the only other direction I can think of is acrobatics, which is a diciplin in itself. what do you mean? theres also patterning, what shapes you make, and glass stlye moves (kinda more like juggling) but i cant really think of anything else. go on, tell me more!

T

-><- Kallisti

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
theres also wushu martial arts types moves. its hard to find nice free videos this link has two nice moves on there.

https://www.angelfire.com/ma4/cannat01ot/cannat01ot_01.html

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

wombleofmordormember
13 posts

Posted:
I have a friend who break dances, hes started to combine freezes with staff, that looks mental when your going for it and then just pop into some mad freeze! The nxt step being to combine power moves such as windmills etc and staff (i'd like to see that!) alternitivley combining various disaplines, the obvious beinig martial arts handleing the staff, acrobatics in movement or similar,... hmmm perhaps doing staff and one poi. or maybe adding a bit of spice by soaking ur clothes in fuel, get some fear going!! hahahaha

wombleofmordormember
13 posts

Posted:
oh, i started using my feet to spin while on my back, hands supporting myself.... quite fun (bare feet help)

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Acrobatics, yes. I figured out bender's one handed cartwheels and I'm working on his sideways arial now. They are sweet. Also rolls and forward flips, which I am still too afraid to try.

Spinning on your back, just got into this too! Found an easy way to roll onto my back from my knees while spinning the staff horizontally. I started playing with between the leg passes and such this weekend but I hadn't thought of barefoot spinning... Plus I couldnt do it a whole lot... I was on a beach and sand got into everything...

Page: