Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
ok, well, with me not having been trained with actual fire, by actual teachers, i seem to lack a very cool move that i have actually only seen my friend do. it involves lighting the staff, with one end lit, he slaps it, then quickly slaps at the other end and somehow manages to transfer the flame to the other side...

now im sure the mechanics of this are simple, and you probably have to cup the flame in your hand, and move very quickly, however, i have tried this unsucessfully for a freakin long time, till actually my hand was getting overly hot from being in the fire, so i stopped for the time being...

normally i would ask my friend for tips, but he is unrechable in minnestoa right now, so i have to turn with my silly simple question to you guys...

any tips or things that im missing???

thanks in advance

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
man i wanna see the Traditional Samoan fire ultra-eleet mouth transfers that people hint at.
More and more fire audience type people keep comparing what firetwirling in Melb they see to the wicked, unique trix that the islanders get to.
mmmmm tropical research trip..
/eyes glaze over

I am Kaiser Xhose.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Transfers are quite a different beast to most staff moves.

They require a slightly different fuel to kero, lamp oil type mixes, they also hurt a bit too.

I researched this for a while and was dead-keen to do it but decided against it because of the volatile fuel required and the fact that I hate burns.

No way would I ever burn my hands on purpose!!!

I'm sure some others will be here to help you, those who do fire-trailing will be able to give more advice as it's a very similar technique.

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
thanks charles, but just to let you know, i got it last night, and in case you were still itching to try, i use colemans camp fuel, and experienced very little to no pain when i did it...

my hand did remain lit for a bit longer than i intended, but that was just because i was so freakin suprised that it worked, that i just kinda stood there staring before i remembered to shake out my hand...

it was quite the crowd pleaser however, and my hand did go out once i shook it...

as a matter of fact, now that i look, realize i didnt even burn any hair off that hand...

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Thanks Whiffle, although I did say a "little bit" and that's enough for me usually.

What is also something to consider is that it didin't hurt this time, but it may well burn you in the future, once again, you'd have to do it pretty badly to get a decent burn, but I' don't like even the little ones.

My understanding is that you use your cupped palm to do it as well. If that's the case, how could you burn the hairs on your hand unless you are a werewolf???

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
excellant point charles.

he's not a werewolf as far as i know... *goes to look up dates of next full moon*

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
mmm, very true charles, and i know it is dangerous but so is spinning itself, one just has to do all possible to minimize that danger...

and if it makes you feel any better i do take every safety precaution there is, im not a stupid spinner...

heh, and there are other myths of how to get hair on your palms charles, ones i fit much more closely than the werewolf one...

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
ok, i'm intrigued. what other myths?

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
I think it is also rumoured to make you go blind, Kyrian (though I could be wrong, having never tried that sort of thing )

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?