Page:
MEERCATBRONZE Member
A Meerkat that eats chicken
194 posts

Posted:
I have been doing single staff for about 5 months now and i am not sure if i am progressing well. Anyone got ne tricks to encourage faster spinning.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
I remember it being discussed a while ago, but despite that, my shoulders always feel like they are going to pop my arms out of my sockets when I attempt a butterfly type move.

go for it if you want to start one up!!!

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Teinemember
74 posts

Posted:
another pool stick spinner!! i've gotten pretty bad for spinning...if it's anywhere near 5' in length and i can get it twirling, i'm off.
that and i always have quick access to my 3 piece staff and somewhere between 16-66 ounces of white gas...never know when the urge will hit. (no worries, ppl...i'm strict on fire safety.)

life begins between the night and the light.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
high-fives Tiene
yeah bro, now that's what I'm talkin' about!
what nationality is your name? it sounds famliar!
pool cues are always a challenge, cus i like to spin on the centre of the weight (a few of me trix are palming moves) that makes it harded to judge where the ends are, cus one end is waaaay longer than the other and makes for nasty BTB movements/transders. I holding a firetoy off it's centre is sometimes more due to a lack of fluency rather than an abundance of creativy. The same thing applies for 'two handed spinning.'
does anyone know what i mean?
/waits for the flames

[ 05 July 2002, 14:59: Message edited by: Bender_the_Offender ]

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Pool cues are easy... (grin)

It's the golf umbrellas I end up breaking more than anything else...

The plastic cover slips and slides over the metal supports and sometimes the whole thing opens up in the wind when i'm halfway through a move!

I guess I should stick with fire, it'll be much safer...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

6,978 posts

Posted:
"You see Lisa? because of me, they have a warning"

Tanessamember
91 posts

Posted:
"Staff is just a rip-off of baton twirling". IT WAS A TWIRLERS JOKE YOU GUYS. Boy, I didn't think people were that serious or were that seriously offended. My apologies. It would be the same joke as two staffers saying that baton was just a rip-off of staff. And yah, to whoever thinks that baton is easy stuff, go get yourself some professional training and then tell me that again. And YES, after doing both sports (baton and staff), I personally feel that baton is still more intricate. This is for technical moves. Either style can be choregraphed to make them look and become intricate thru moves and dance, but I'm talking the real stuff. No, I'm not snuffing out staffing's candle to brighten the one of baton twirling. I do both. I am incredible at both, thanks to my years of competitve training. I love doing staff even more than baton. I'm not trying to start a war between the two sports, or any readers either. I AM SECURE ABOUT WHAT I KNOW, ......ARE YOU GUYS?

And as for who started this, does it really matter? As long as we are all able to enjoy them. Besides there are so many sports that are similar now-a-days and were derived from one another. Who knows where it all really started.

Sorry to all those people who were just wanting to find some history, but never found any.

Seeing as how you guys are so up on bashing, why don't I just go and start my own colomn for you guys to collect all your hate mail together on the same page!?!

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Tanessa.

If you have a look at all the posts in this thread, I think you'll find there is no actuall bashing as such. Everything is well stated as opinions and each other saying how they feel about certain statements.

Bashing is usually more defined by statements like "XXX is so full of SH*T"
"That garbage"
"xxx sucks!"

quote:
Shall we agree to disagree Stone, coz I dopn't think we arguing about the same point, and if that's the case it might be a bit silly to keep going.

quote:
No probs, Charles Me too, I was already ducking for cover anyhow.

A new thread would be a good idea. Have double staff butterflies been covered?

I guess if you call that bashing and hate its up to you. Definitely not my definition of the words.

And I"m pleased you see it as a joke as I have personally met about a dozen Baton ladies who were so up themselves you would have thought they they were hiding a third baton (oops did I say that? Sorry to anyone it may have offended).

These people seem to think the regimented do-it-this-way-or-no-way-at-all of Batons makes it "better" than any freestyle sport or art.

Of course, these people seem to be the exception, rather than the rule. It's just that they are the ones a lot of fieries tend to associate with Batons because they are so loud and vocal with their views.

Finally, what might also be likely ot cause some people some angst is that because of the regimentation, you can actually talk about batons with a reasonable understanding.

Staff, as a very minority pastime and performance art, can well be completely a completely different discipline depending on who you deal with. This means that blanket statements about staff being less technical or requiring choreography might apply to one person's staff style but be completely innappropriate to another's.

In that case, after posting comments like that, it's really common sense to expect a few people to get vocal about it.

If you really want to see some bashing and hate on a BB, I suggest you check out some other BB's around and compare them with HoP.

I've found HoP to be the nicest, warmest and most infomrative BB I've ever been on. Of course there is always the odd one, (just like the baton-nazi's) but I haven't seen any of them in this thread.

Ah well...back to the long staffs butterfly discussion...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

6,978 posts

Posted:
/looks for bashing traces of bashing baton
???
I see alot of 'secureness' in skill, but bashing of baton, nada.

there is a little confusion here, the thread was more geared toward baton with/and staff moves, not vs. i like italics, they walk funny.
angst? 'regimentation' causes me angst, well, i know that picket fences freak me out

Page: