Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > bought the staff now what ???

Login/Join to Participate

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Well I have been doing some practice around the shop with a broom handle but none the less I really have no clue as to what to really do. I have used Pozee's practice staff spun that around a bit but I really just feel like I have no clue as to what I am doing hehe. Kind of a lost dog syndrome. Any hoo can ya's gimme some advice?

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

moonwatchermember
14 posts

Posted:
One of two ways you can go. Just keep spinning the staff until you have developed a set of moves: often time consuming and annoying but very rewarding. Or go to the staff lessons on this site. Xaeda demonstrates a really good set of easyish staff moves with good animations to demonstrate. Try and get them all down, practicing transitions between them, then following your new skills begin to develop your own stuff.
Good luck.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
point to that person shurly (?)((??))

N

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
hey Raymond,

Don't worry if it feels like you are a little lost at first. When you first start doing a figure eight it feels like nothing, basically you are drawing an infinity sign in the air. But people look at you and go, that looks so cool!!! That is because the staff is doing all the work, and making more complicated shapes than you are making with your arm/hand.

Start to move the staff around and see what feels natural. Can you spin it in front of you, using both hands so it looks like the blades of a windmill? Can you do a figure eight? With both hands? Figure out how to pass it between one hand and the other. Try taking the staff and passing it behind your back from one hand to the other, now watch yourself doing it in a mirror and see that the staff moves far more than you do.

Spend some time playing, until you feel more natural waving a stick around your body Also have a good look at the lessons, probably beginning with Woody's stuff. Charles has also started a "naming staff moves IV" thread, which is really useful to picture some of the things it is possible to do.

Hope that helps

R.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Nix, guess you've been gone for a while (although I'm sure I've seen a fair few of your posts).

Calling points kinda died quite quickly as it was confusing all the new people and some of the old hats too.

Anyway, back on topic, this recent thread is one of the useful ones..have a looksee

useful staff thread

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

2,905 posts

Posted:
Thank you all very much for your tips. I will have to get a mirror in a place where I can actually spin without killing anything around me. I live in kinda confind spaces so... hehe

Naw I am excited I cant wait till I get it in, I will probably get home (parents home) when it gets there.

What type of fuel would yall recomend for staff? Should I just keep using the white gas that I have been?

Soo many questions so little time.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
I like kero, but that's just me. Enough about my drinking habits !!!

Seriously, though, you can use exactly the same fuel as you usually do. Just take the usual care with the wicks. Spin off the excess, & light from the bottom. The nice thing with staff is when spinning off the excess you can work on getting some sweet fireballs out of the ends by popping the staff up into the air...

Have fun & let us know how it goes

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

2,905 posts

Posted:
Ohh that fireball thing sounds cool I am going to have to try it out. Also when I was spinnin with Pozee that one night he made a fire trail with the excess fuel just a strait line... I do similer with poi looks like a back to the future rip off hehe. None the less thanks again for the ideas.

BurningByronmember
340 posts

Posted:
The way I learnt all my moves was practising outside infront of a window where you can get an almost mirror like reflection of yourself from a surface you can spin like 10meters away from. Mirrors are expensive to break and to get a large enough one outside is always a problem. Be careful NOT to be aware of how and where the staff is spinning by ONLY looking at the reflection in the window. This is something I did in the first month and when I twirled without the reflection I used to screw up badly. Learn to spin with your eyes closed as early on as possible, if u start early then u gain a sixth sense about where and how the staff is moving, you even start to learn moves with your eyes closed. (Huge throws with multiple spins are an exception.)
Also try to get a basic movement going, I call it the standard movement of the staff, a movement which all your moves flow out of. Most people go for a simple vertical helicopter passed around the body. During your standard movement the staff pretty much is positioned at one moment or another in a position which can be transitioned into almost any move.
I didn't even bother learning "windmills"(vertical helicopters) just infront of the body simply changing hands to keep it spinning. Basic moves like these dont look good and by simply keeping the staff moving around the body swtiching hand infront and behind you,(which looks really cool fast), the move stays basic and easy plus you dont get into bad habits which two handed windmills create.

When learning staff moves be creative, think outside the box other twirlers have set up as the "norm of fire spinning".
Today I'm going to go outside try some sick aerial moves involving kicks which have been going through my mind while writing this post. Sure its gonna hurt but how many twirlers have the imagination/warped reality of the laws of physics to learn a move so unconventional?
It makes the difference between a good fire twirler and a fucken awesome/insane twirler.

Yeah I got a bit carried away then... anyway good luck with your flaming staff of eternal pain.

HOW TO FLY 101:
step 1. Throw your self at the ground.
step 2. Miss.

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
hey ray,
when i started all i know was what i learned on this site, and my budddy taught me the full on spin in front of me. then it was all just practice. it is really great to practice with someone though because you are both constantly trying to show each other a new move. i will try and get with you soon and start you off with a couple of things...

anyone got a light?

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Hey, can you teach me some staff too? I've been practicing well Pozee so I can do more than the forward rotor! I can do it behind the back!

This summer I'm gonna be making my fire staff, and hopefully going to light it up at one of the gatherings we're going to have this summer. (HINT! BIG HINT! SUMMER GATHERINGS!)

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
Ah, good to see you've joined the staff massive raymund!

Yep, practice makes perfect, but be patient when learning harder moves and just enjoy yourself. Good luck!

A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words...