Space Monkeymember
1 post

Posted:
Hey! I'm new to this site and, in fact, new to all things Poi.. I've tried spinning poi once or twice, but finding that I have a lack of coordination with that, I decided to give Staff a whirl. I had a bit better luck with this, as I used to be a big fan of Xena and.. yah.. pretend I was Gabriel with all her staff skills.. that was a few years ago, don't hold it against me now!

Anyways, I need some advice for starting Staff... I can spin it two handed alright, but are there any baisic tricks anyone can give me any advice on? Thank you very much!

If life gives you lemons, take careful aim and throw them at somebody that annoys you. It's a bonus if they're allergic to lemons, as they'll proceed to swell up and die.

burnfestmember
26 posts

Posted:
Hey space monkey
Welcome to the wonderful world of staff twirling (my personal favourite)... be warned.. VERY ADDICTIVE and may cause bodily harm.
Well I think ur first port of call should be the staff lessons on this site.. this has lil video clips and instructions on the basic moves..then once u have had a play around with those moves do a search on staff moves on the board.. and u will find a million more different moves to keep u busy. Just play around and have fun. once u have the basic moves down u will be creating ur own impressive combinations before u know it. U will find a link to the Staff leesons Above under the title "Home of Poi and fire twirling" at the very top of this page. ^look up

Happy Twirling!!

[ 17 May 2002, 13:59: Message edited by: burnfest ]

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Hiya Spacemonkey! (is the name a reference to Fight Club? shhh! i won't talk aboot it!)
reinforce your practice with a day practice staff that won't leave satanic looking marks on your clothes. use fuel whose fumes when lit dun make you wanna hurl. be kind to your friends. use a staff length that does not exceed the distance between ya toes n ya armpits if you intend to do lotsa horizontal under-armpits twirling. use sunscreen. when burning fire, cover you hair and don't wear synthetics if u can help it. frilly bras are right out. practice throws on grass, and cover your wicks with sock-like covers, so that the kevlar dun fray when you practice your firestaff.

and the tree was happy.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always