Organized Kaosmember
238 posts

Posted:
alright so heres my dillema, I started spinning staff on sunday and have tried to learn from the lessons on the site, but they just dont help, I cant see a thing, the demo videos are choppy and I cant see the hand motions. and not only that theres no step by step instructions likein the poi lessons...The only move I learned was the 360 degree spin in each hand in front of the body, cuz step by step instructions were given,,,the rest, I cant even see...does anyone want to give me an alternate place to find lesssons (other than the COL videos) those=spending money Kaos=no likey spending money

So any advice would be appreciated...

Every morning I wake up and hit the ground yawning...

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
At the risk of sounding agressive, just go and practice!

When you are just starting out the best thing you can do is to get away from the computer and outside with the stick in your hand.

Of course the lessons won't make much sense unitl you've played around abit and your brain has some information which with to attach the lessons to.

Trying to learn from lessons at the real beggining stage will just be confusing because the body and mind don't yet understand the way astaff feels, responds and acts.

Go and practice for an hour, and then re-look at the lessons straight away.

I promise they will make a lot more sense. And, as always, have a staff or small stick (or even ruler) with you so you can try out th emovements while looking at the on screen.

If you follow what I've suggested, I gaurantee you much better results.

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

TranceKujamember
68 posts

Posted:
I've tried using a lot of stuff-from construction toys to rulers to those long pencils, book wrappings etc, but i can't seem to find any good staff. Anyone got some suggestions?

I've got a really long construction toy, but it's too thick and i can't do much with it

Live by honor. Kill by stealth. Only the unseen survive.~peace~

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
bic biro's are always my last resort...

N

[ 03 May 2002, 14:04: Message edited by: Nix? ]

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
i'm with you, organized kaos, i can't learn off of teh site. i eventually figured out the figure eight thing, and eventually realzied i did about half the lessons. but some things, like the corckscrew, still elude me. i'm hoping to get help from someone sometime in the next month or so... don't know what to tell ya, except play with it, adn you'll make some stuff up at least

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

tau neutrinoPLATINUM Member
35 posts

Posted:
i agree with charles. just go out and wave your staff around. and try to kinda visualise what you saw on the site. you probably wont conciuosly get it the first time you try it. but the next time, (like the next day or something) you practise you will.

And remember the moves look different first hand. I was complaining to a friend on how my moves did not look at all like the stuff that i see here. they could not tell the difference. they said it was almost dead on. sometimes it just looks weird to you!

i have to plug Bec and Elkes book again. it is quite helpful.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
heh i have to meet this mythical duo one day, B&E! I betcha they're like immortal or something. I myself am immoral .

doncha find that when you're really practicing hard to nail a new move, you accidentally make a new one? this experimentation+practice will expand ur repertoire more than anything else.

"Tank, give me the firetwirling program!"
"What's wrong Neo?"
"I just learnt 'the monkeyclaw'"
"Prove it!"

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

6,978 posts

Posted:
Oh.. and an idea -
/waves at NZ
Malcolm! does ya want to me to make a compact .MPG of hand closeups to add to Xaeda's brill vidz to help readers? I promise I'll be clothed for em!

just an idea. like heliocentrism.

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
I have to say I found the lessons quite useful. Not insomuch as they showed me exactly what to do (which isn't all that difficult, really), but they showed what could be done, where you can move the staff, etc. They give you something to work towards, and something to work from. Where's the achievement if everything's just handed to you?

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
I have to agree that the way the staff lessons are set up is probobly really confusing for a beginner. There isn't anywhere that shows the basic basics for longer staffs, and even for the short staff it's a little spotty. On top of that Xaeda has a really weird style and her basic spins aren't that basic, and her lessons, in my opinion, are rather out of order in thier difficulty.

I had no problem understanding the lessions myself, but then I've been in martial arts for years and I already had the basics down so that they were pretty much automatic.

And, Malcom, I would also be happy to offer my services to illustrate more basic staff movements.

Jesus helps me trick people.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
I always had Woody's stuff down as the beginning point, and found it really useful because I had already been messing about on my own, so the lessons just added to it.

Xaeda's stuff was put up a little later on, when I had progressed further, and so once again the timing was great for me because it is more complicated.

I had the advantage that I met the right people at the right stages in my learning process. It really helps to get outdoors and meet people. But I can understand that we have some lone spinners out there and so any additional info would be a help to them, even just a clearer structure on the lessons.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

6,978 posts

Posted:
wot if the staff videos were re-done with Tron costumes for hi-contrast shenanigans? I'm sure we can ask ILM to make a Jar-Jar Binks animated clearly if not goofy. Meesa tinkin' deesa gunna be staffytwilry bombad!

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
If we're going to be suggesting virtual characters, then I vote for Jessica Rabbit!

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Well, there's what others seem to thinbk is a good description of the double figure 8 in the "onehanded staff moves" thread.

We could start by copying that. I must admit, my two handed rotor is a completely different style to Xaeda's and Woody's. Even though Xaeda tried to show me, I haven't really practiced it since and so can't do it well yet.

Maybe a little rude, but if people go through the "naming staff moves III" thread, I'll be happy to provide instructions for all of those moves, as I know them well.

Also, might be nice to bump that thread again... or start number IV?

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?