StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
I try and do the rotor like Xaeda (lesson 1), and tend to pass it horizontal. Anyhow, I was playing around with rotor passes last night and I found it was fun to take one-hand from the rotor (two handed rotor at the front) and do finger spins. After the pass, just scoop down and take that hand into finger spin. You make a finger spin circle in front, then back to the rotor. A bit like doing a little circle (fingerspin circle) in a bigger circle (rotor).

There are lot's of variations, so I was wondering what others were doing with this type of move. I even thought of calling this thread - parallel fountains. Cheers

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
That's a fun move, if not a little awkward at first...

Have you tried to do a similar motion with just wrist and cathc-and-release motions instead of finger spins? It seems to help with keeping the pattern steady and vertical when done in front, and the extra spins can be in between the catch-and-releases when the hands swap over.

Just watch out for it starting to lean if you are going for speed, it might just smack you in the jaw and do some serious damage!

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Hi stone! a nice flourish to transition in or out with that trick is a BTB version of it. It's rare to see, but what's rarer still is a post from the mysterious miss Xeada! I feel like one of the little peeps losing faith at the foot of Mount Sinai as our prophet buggers off for a quiet flaming bush chat up the mountain.

dont make me start worshipping cows. ill do it.

yay only 286 days 'till the gathering!!!!
Malcolm, should i PESTER you to put a countdown timer, thus expediting peoples' plans, or should i not PESTER you? heh it's so much more annoying when i caplitalise PESTER.
my eyes hurt

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Charles, great you understood. I will try the wrist catch and release. But for awkward, try a rotor with finger spin at hip level, and another finger spin headhigh, just before you pass back. Then come down for a rotor and finger spin rotor in front again, and keep on going.

Can you make any sense of this one? Parallel fountain type move: Doing an clockwise rotor, pass staff, in front at hip level and staff should be the left hand. Travelling to the left, let the staff take your left arm up to about head hight, right arm also comes up head high, for the pass back to the right hand. Then down to the rotor in front again. Get this going; rotor-pass at hip level, pass-back about head high. You can add extra spins on the pass if you want. This is a bit like Bec's btb windmill, except in front.

Ok, got that going. Now, smooth it out into a continuous circle in front. (like you are doing bits of the rotor at the 6:00, 900, 12:00 and 3:00 clock positions). Then, say with an clockwise rotation you can take the staff up to the left or right for interesting variations and vice versa. Fun

Caveat: Sometimes when I'm writing these out I don't have a staff with me, and may get my directions mixed up, but hey, as everything works all ways, this shouldn't be a problem. I hope.

Fun with rotors. Dare I say it Rotarua's

[ 25 April 2002, 11:34: Message edited by: Stone ]

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Hi Bender, I will try btb. Well, at least we still have Xaeda's videos and contact stuff. Now, about those club moves, hmmm ????

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Spot on Charles. Using wrist wraps to make a big pinwheel in front works really well, and it's probably what I was trying to describe in that parallel fountain type move

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Pleased to help Stone.

I found that move disconcertingly difficult to do in front at first, as the wrists are pointing downwards and there was a tendency to catch from above, which isn't something my body likes doing with staffs.
When the pinwheel is done behind the back, the wrist point upwards at the catchpoints and so it falls into the hand making for nice easy catches.

I have to admit I don't really get what you mean about the rotors in your earlier post, although I'm pretty confident with doing fingerspins at different heights with double staffs which I guess is what you may be describing?

A nice visual trick which may be similar too (or the same)is a fingerspin helicopter above your head with one staff and a vertical figure8 pattern with the other.

The crowd loves the two distinct patterns that emerge with long doubles...

Cheers

[ 24 April 2002, 12:54: Message edited by: Charles (INFERNO) ]

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Charles, thanks for all the hints. With the rotors, it was just a simply case of what seemed good the night before, turning into crap the next day

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
So are things going right again now Stone?

There are several moves which I oscillate between being able to do and not able to do aon a regular basis. I now look at these moves as ones which I haven't practiced enough to get solid, although there is a tendency for me to think i can do them all the time because I managed them once or twice in the past (and then not practicing them enough).

Is this what may be happening? Or am I putting too much thought into this thread?

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Things are fine Charles. Thanks for asking. How did you get on juggling fire clubs?

I wouldn't read too much into this thread. I think I lost the plot along the way. I suppose a part of it is that descriptions are bloody difficult to write down. But, I just keep twirling away, and as you say - when you think you know a move, go back and re-learn it.

I haven't tried btb pinwheels, as I mostly do wrist wrap Fig 8's. But, at the front wouldn't the wrist point down for an anti-clockwise rotor and up for a clockwise rotor ?

With the wrist wraps I just roll the staff on to my wrist, push away slightly, while I rotate the hand (inwards for anti-clockwise rotor in the right hand), and bang the staff is back in my palm.

Anyway, I'm off to practice some contact stuff. Cheers

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
I been playing around today with the doubles and Ive worked out how to have one double doing pinwheels btb whilst the other is thrown in front.

basically with one hand doing forward figure eights and the other going backwards I throw the forward figure eight in fron, swap the other staff behind my head (one motion really) and on catching the staff with the now free backwards hand throw it again before passing the other staff btb into the original hand. repeat untill tired or overtly bruised.

Love

n

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti