KilLJoYmember
5 posts

Posted:
greetings all....
now i am new to the world of staff... i have gotten the hang of the standard spinning, passing behind the back and overhead that kinda thing but watching others do it them seem to get more rotations in thier spin... is this because they are also twirling it between thier fingers and if this is so is it just a standard baton twirl kinda thing???

thnx

He who expects nothing is blessed for he shall never be disappointed

TopHatmember
34 posts

Posted:
Well if you see these twirlers, why don't you ask them? Or... Go through it slowly and see how far you can push yourself, if you think you can add an extra rotation in try it slowly first to see if it works then build up speed (but speed isn't everything).

PS - Almost forgot... A lot of extra rotations can be added by turning the body (double staff). You can spin with one hand and fulfil quite a lot of different moves.

[ 19 April 2002, 13:19: Message edited by: TopHat ]

Ouch! Eep! Damn Leg Hair stop getting in the way!

KilLJoYmember
5 posts

Posted:
ok so its more body movement than actually using your fingers.... great thnx

is that finger baton like twirling used much with longer the staff?

He who expects nothing is blessed for he shall never be disappointed

lluhmasmember
63 posts

Posted:
The longer the staff the harder it is to finger spin...same with wieght - the heavier, the harder.
That said, with practice you can finger spin a monster staff without difficulty. My fingers are so much stronger now than when I started.
As you get better the staff will naturally move from your hand further into your fingers, it almost happens unconsciuosly until you get to a point where the staff is held in your fingers when your doing a weave etc.
It is then that you can get a few extra rotations into your spins...

BAHOOGA! It's the penguin-people!Gertrude, get me my lollypop and we'll lick 'em to death..and?

SpykeBRONZE Member
28 posts

Posted:
Ilumhas you got there before me. I was going to say that too. But what i will say is that when i teach people and they ask me this question i tell them that i don't use my fingers, because you can always add these later. Trying to do as many spins before using your fingers will allow you to add spins later, meaning more control to your manouver because fingers tend to slow down you move and aren't as strong, therefore more dangerous to bystanders.

'At this moment, you should be with us, feeling like we do, like you loved to, but never will again.'

TwirlyVicnorthern monkey
235 posts

Posted:
i agree you should ask people, i never see anyone spinning so its an advantage i defintly envy.

when i started i used to finger spin EVERYTHING but now i'm clocking back to normal wrist movements. When the staff is lit i reckon big smoother spins look better, circles are more defined.

although, anything over the head i believe HAS to be finger spun just cos it looks so damn cool!!

vic xx

ex-hop-aholic, now inconsistent lurker...

lluhmasmember
63 posts

Posted:
Your sooo right.
Especially if you get your fingers really elongated and the audience can see them all stretched out, it looks like you have so much control of it.....

BAHOOGA! It's the penguin-people!Gertrude, get me my lollypop and we'll lick 'em to death..and?