Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Know any not too hard, trippy moves?

Login/Join to Participate

fire bugmember
2 posts

Posted:
Hey everyone, I am new to the 'art' of fire twirling. I was wondering if anyone knew any moves that weren't too difficult, as I am still learning, but aren't too hard... ta!

go the orange feather boa

TopHatmember
34 posts

Posted:
There is one simple trippy move that you can do with fire. It's spinning the excess kerosine out... Just after you light up (your staff, not your pipe) using centriphical force, if you hold the staff horizontally with your palms facing in towards the staff, Throw and spin it up in the air as high and as fast as possible and you should get (if done correctly) these big fire balls. This is a stylish way of getting rid of excess kerosine. Not sure if I explained that very well but its the best I can do.

Ouch! Eep! Damn Leg Hair stop getting in the way!

lluhmasmember
63 posts

Posted:
Goto the staff moves section of this site and practice every day for an hour unlit until you get them.
All staff moves are trippy if you can do them fast enough. The windmill is trippy.
But yeah...for the sake of pure easyness, a spin off is the way to go. I wouldnt go so far as to call it a 'trick' though. And for good results only spin about two metre above your head max and the plumes of flame will be fatter and thicker...

BAHOOGA! It's the penguin-people!Gertrude, get me my lollypop and we'll lick 'em to death..and?

SpykeBRONZE Member
28 posts

Posted:
Yeh . . .spin off. . . very cool.

I only wanted to write something here so that we had four Ozzie answers in a row (if you can call mine an answer).

I have too agree with Ilhumas, just goto the staff section and learn all of them, just make sure you can do each one with some fluidity before you move on.

'At this moment, you should be with us, feeling like we do, like you loved to, but never will again.'

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Well, there is one that I picked up this weekend that should be cool if you can do it right. (and i'm a major beginer so i promise it's easy). Basically, you take one staff hold it vertically, then throw it up in an arc so it land in your other hand, vertically, but it's 180degrees (or pi/2 radians) from where it started. In the meantime, pass your other staff from one hand to the other with a 180rotation. If you get them going the effect with fire is a big circle in front of you with a little extra loop at the bottom. I don't know if you could make it look good with one staff also or if you would need both to get the circle effect. If you get good and you want to be cool you can do the arc'd throw with the staff rotating at the same time but that is a lot harder (and looks a lot cooler.) you could also do it w/o the 180 at the bottom at and just have the circle, i started out doing it that way anyhow. It's almost more of a juggling move than a staff move but it still looks cool.

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Kyrian, that's a cool one, quite easy to learn with the slow 180's (lazy throw) that the thrown staff does. During the airtime of the thrown staff, you can then do any single staff moves you want.

Like behind the back passes, neckwraps etc etc etc.

It all looks great when the other staff is in the air...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
lol, if only i could keep mine in the air long enough i can only do simple moves in the time it takes to catch the other one.

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
That's where the lazy throw makes it easier, keep the wrist and forarm straight and throw a little harder than you would usually. The staff should arc upwards in a happy floating sort of way when compared to a normal throw.

Also, try to catch it at waist height if possible, makes for a more balanced comfortable catch and gives a bit more time.

What really helps is to start basing your throws on time in the air rather than height, and suddenly things get a lot easier a lot quicker.

IMHO

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

mattsinclairmember
1 post

Posted:
Kyrian,

pi = 180deg.

pi/2 = 90deg.

2pi = 360deg.

=P

-matt

sarah...member
339 posts

Posted:
You've been told

Fire... A bushmans telly

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
what, half of 360 isn't 90?

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
It is if you swing the axe badly

Any luck with giving the staffs more airtime yet, Kyrian?

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
a little bit, staff practice is way way to dependant on the weather. I also learned that i need to teach my left hand everything i teach my right..... oops! (see "twirling staff is not an indoor activety" for details)

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah