Cloudmember
4 posts

Posted:
I was wondering roughly what the staff length should be?

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
measure carefully from the middle of the handle to the extreme ends of the wick, a staff should be about twice this long.

Or you could do a search and find some other usefull suggestions, It's a well discussed topic.

Get a broom stick, swing it, feel it. if its too long, chop it down, if its too short get a longer one.

for ref: my contact staff comes up to my nipples (te hee i said nipple). Which is long, My regular spinning staff is a bit above my navel.

Does that close the thread?
(and no point)

drew

TwirlyVicnorthern monkey
235 posts

Posted:
umm, does that mean cos i'm only 5 foot and i use a 48inch staff i'm doing something terribly wrong? and potentially why i can do certain things???

lol

vic xx

ex-hop-aholic, now inconsistent lurker...

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
well, that Depends on where your nipples are...

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
i am about 6 feet 1 inch tall, i think about 190cm and my staff is about 5 feet 9 inches. it all boils down to preferance...

anyone got a light?

lluhmasmember
63 posts

Posted:
For double staffs go with 1 metre, single staffs it depends on the usage I suppose. I do lots of throwing etc. so I like using a reasonably short staff for that (100-120cm) for that, generally easier to spin faster in the air...I have a few 140cm staffs, I really like that length, and ive almost finished my new 300cm (yeah, 3 metres!) staff with four 2.5 inch wickings on each end....its going to look awesome, but I cant see me doing a big spinning throw with it
If your learning, go with shorter rather than longer. Once you get a little better, move onto a longer, heavier staff...you'll find that when you go back to the short one, your speed will have increased tenfold and it will feel like a pencil to throw around.
When i go out twirling I usually take my two 1 metre staffs for doubles, one 140cm staff for singles and soon my 3m staff....not to mention my home made poi....
oh, and go homemade gear! its so easy to make....why fork out 60-70 bucks when you could spend 20?
twirl on...
lluhmas

BAHOOGA! It's the penguin-people!Gertrude, get me my lollypop and we'll lick 'em to death..and?

TwirlyVicnorthern monkey
235 posts

Posted:
im happy with my length... lol

my 48" one is the smallest my boyfriend makes but i have seen HUGE ones, like three times the height of me and it scared me completly...

and glass... my nipples are in a happy posistion. Just above my eyebrows... mehehehe!

vic xx

ex-hop-aholic, now inconsistent lurker...

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:

Wikkamanmember
259 posts

Posted:
quote:
im happy with my length... lol
heheheheheheheh

The answer is never the answer. What's really interesting is the mystery. If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking. I've never seen anybody really find the answer-- they think they have, so they stop thinking. But the job is to seek mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in which strange plants grow and mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater than the need for an answer.-- Ken Kesey

Anselmmember
28 posts

Posted:
I come from a martial arts background. Thus: My staff and I are both 6 feet exactly (erm... 185 cm?). I do have doubles, but no idea how to use them; they're both four feet, which seems a tad long for me. We'll see, I may shorten them soon. I heard Incendium (incendium.org) has a 10-footer that they use on oil drums, but I've never seen this. Most people I know use shorter than I or incendium use, though. It's really what you like.

Anselm

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
I'm 6' and I use a 5'6" staff. I like having the extra length, but it seems to make things difficult for horizontal moves, as I can't easily bring it down beneath shoulder height without hitting myself in the ribs. Should be alright once I get palm spins sorted.

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

Mineiromember
262 posts

Posted:
length depends on what you do with it

longer staffs are usually better for contact stuff, also build up more muscle, usually make you smoother...but.

shorter staffs are usually nicer for speed throws, and small intricate stuffs.
having said that i use 150cm doubles most of the time...

try a few things, but best of all have lots of staffs...

Rob

brain replacement...anyone?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
"How big is your staff?" (sorry, it had to be said... )

Mine's about five feet and I'm 5'8".

But I'm not very good at playing with it yet.

(So many vulgar inuendos, so little time)

Peace.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Khameleanmember
42 posts

Posted:
I'm 6'3", i use either one or two 5' staffs (staves??) just short nough for under the left moves, but it scraped along the ground a lot when i first started, but i baught some new wick and all is good. But remember, it's not how big it is, it's what you can do with.*evil grin*

I also here girth plays a big part...
*wider evil grin*

Q:Whay do you keep hiting yourself in the head with that hammer?A:Cos, it just feels so good when i stop...

falloutboySILVER Member
remember
433 posts

Posted:
I SEE YOUR SCHWARTZ IS AS BIG AS MINE!
haha... oh man, will the jokes never end?

Non-Https Image Link

-As angels debate chance and fate-
i was riding through melbourne on a midget giraffe, things were peachy.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
"Yes. I am the keeper of a greater magic. A power known throughout the universe, known as...."
"The force?"
"No. The Schwartz."
"The Schwartz?"
"Yes. The Schwartz."
"But, Yogurt, what is this place? Whatis that you do here?"
"Merchandising."
"Merchandising? What's that?"

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
now you know why evil will ALWAYS triumph! because good is dumb!

mwahah

Pere

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
"Moichendizing"

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Tanessamember
91 posts

Posted:
Cloud.....see:
Staff Length, can we sort this out please???
Twirlyvic (see my message)

The Staff of Ducttapemember
13 posts

Posted:
I'd just thought i'd join the fray of this thread. I think its a big preferance thing myself, though i haven't been spinning long so who I am to tell you anything.
I spin with whatever i can, my practice sticks are 6' long, Maple and 1 inch thick if memory serves me. They hurt like a bitch if you catch them the wrong way, which worsk good to make you learna trick fast. I also have erm, fallen trees i spin and do things with, the longest is about 8 1/2 feet long, and anywhere from 3/4" thick to close to 2". That one is just impressive for its size, once it starts moving...
The frist toy i used was devil sticks back in the day so i've done some twirling with them, though i tend to avoid short staves and double staff work because i'm not horribly fond of it. Thats just me though, I'm still learning. WHo knows maybe i'll pick up double soon...

What's the worst that could happen?

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
I'm 6 foot with a 4 foot staff. I also have a staff that isn't made yet that's 6 foot and I'm going to use that for contact work.

Personally, I like the 4 foot staff better so far because I can still do neck wraps and the fire isn't that close to my hands.

I've also tried a 5 foot 10 staff that I wasn't that good at. I bought an Electroglo staff and found that it was to short. So I knew I wanted something between 3 foot and 5 foot 10. (Big difference there).

Medium size and heavy is my preference.