Page:
[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yo,

playing today i was wandering where i could go from an all the ray round neckwrap. I been catching it in elbow grip and I found if you bend over and keep the staff spinning fairly horisontal you push it onto your back where you can let it spin for a couple of times. when you straiten up the staff goes either under the arm, onto the arm or around the neck depending in the initial force.

do other peeps do this? it feel really good, feel like theres a whole new world about to open...

Love

N

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
not sure if it is the same movement, but you can do an over the shoulder one from a neck-wrap where it rolls over your opposite shoulder, loses its momentum and then falls back under your arm.

Very nice move for stage or being taped...

If you are fast enough (I'm not yet) then you can drop your arm and push the staff behind where it is rolling and get to go around your arm a second time...Looks veyr cool but only ever seen one person do it. Probably easier with a heavy staff.

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Mineiromember
262 posts

Posted:
so nix you are going from vertical to horizontal?
ps yes in edinburh....
charles the drop behind the back if you go into the move from your right hand and catch behind your back with the right hand also then you have a fabulous double staff move(obviously the left hand is always not so good but its doable....after two months i get it maybe 1 in2 times.....
tchau

brain replacement...anyone?

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
finally a topic on this. i love this stuff, contact type stuff. i know exactly what you are talking about. do a neck wrap, but duck your head and it does and extra spin and comes out under your arm. another is to do that then (for me it is left to right) then with your left hand swing it back around and under your left armpit and it spins once on the left shoulder once around the neck then to the right shoulder and out underneath.

i have also been doing one of that variation but when it wraps the neck i wiggle my body just right and it flings the the staff around my neck an extra time.

all of this is in the vertical plane. i have been working on a lot more stuff in the horozontal plane. if you want to hear it just ask...

anyone got a light?

phuzzzmember
160 posts

Posted:
im lost in words. um. video?anyone?please?

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
i am making some home video of me and my buddies practices, which get pretty crazy. but i have no way to put it on line, or no place to send it... ill just send it to HoP and maybe malcolm will put it up somewhere, or at least on the next COL...

anyone got a light?

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yo,

pozee I know where your coming from, just got into this stuff and its so much fun (and just a little sore ) horisontal wise I gotta full 360 shoulder PIVOT that swaps shoulders and some lasy 180 pivot stuff as well as the normal backwrap, armwrap variataions. If you got sommit cool Id love to hear it.

occasionally when doing the move i descibed above if I puish it to much it will roll up the neck and overthe crest of my head! Wish I could do that on perpose.

I think with contact its a good idea to try and visualise the sickest move you could never do and try it. If you can see how it works the body will catch up. My favriot fantasy trick is to have it spinning on the back of my hand and have it roll still horisontally spinning down my arm, around the neck and onto the opposite hand.
hummmmmmmmmmm stick........

Love,

N

-><- Kallisti

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
nix?
I don't know how to say...
Your sick fantasy,
I just got pretty solid
its my favorite move.
So now I'm working on it with an extra spin behind the back of my neck. get them sometimes, but only when I'm really flowing.
te hee.

Ok heres a present, from march 2002...
Fist spins
Make a clenched fist raised up in the air with a helicopter on top.
be careful. (bump thwack face bash).
Im making 6 revolutions (charles thats 12 by the way you count.)

Contact rocks

Glass

Mineiromember
262 posts

Posted:
ok.....ridiculous i know, i got this one last night after 2 hours practice hehehehe... one staff caught between shoulder and chin, does a neck wrap round, catch in the same place on the other side, and then back again(so no hands ever...) the other is doing a basic rotation behind the back low then high etcetc....if anyone manags more than about four of these smoothly i will visit them and pay homage..... tchau

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
sweet stuff people!!
another variation on the shoulder neck shoulder is to start by putting it on the bottom of the back and have it walk up to the shoulder then to the neck and other shoulder and back again.

vertical stuff. grab your neck with both of your hands, now stick you elbows straight out. you can wrap it over one then the other then catch it. you can add a multitude of things on to that.

one handed pinwheel: when the staff comes up wrap on the right shoulder, turn 180 degrees and it wraps the left shoulder, then stick your right arm behind the back and catch it and repeat.

neck wrap to back spin repeat...

anyone got a light?

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Glass, I knew someone like you would pop up and say that but s'k, sick for me is sick enough.

Pozee, do you mean sticking your elbows out infront of your body or the sides, are we talking pivot wrap (turning your body to let the staff keep ballancing)?

humm, hope its nice tomorow...

N

-><- Kallisti

phuzzzmember
160 posts

Posted:
well... i put one of those pipe insulators on my staff( you know those styro plastic kooshie thingies??) any way... was amazing myself by pulling off some of the moves mentioned above. but figured out a variation... from spinning on my back/neck i got it to spin on the top of my head. this gave me an idea. spin it on my head then get it bouncing!!! ooooooooooaaaaahhahahahaaaaa what fun!

can anyone get the continuous neck/head spin?
can anyone get the continuous leg/foot spin?

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
hey nix,
yeah i meant straight out in front of you. pivot wrap? i see what you mean and i like that. is that the correct term or just something you came up with? goodness i am so addicted to these types of moves...

anyone got a light?

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Errm, I consulted charlie on his "naming staff moves (infinity)" thread and he called it pivot but didnt list it cos "thease moves are very rare". thease are just the sort of movaes i like.

Pozee, im puzzled, how do you get into this? is it from an elbow grip or what?

Love,

N

[ 07 April 2002, 14:28: Message edited by: Nix? ]

-><- Kallisti

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Love this stuff guys! )

I've been doing some stuff related to this that might be simple for you guys, but I havent seen mentioned yet..

double/continuous wraps?

you know the 'full nelson' neck wrap? its where your wrap the neck in the vertical plane while bending in the middle. pretty common move. I've been having fun with doing that move without passing the staff ie same hand enter and exit, and recently I've been doing it inversed ie swapping the entry and exit hands with the staff travelling in the same direction as with the parent move.

Also - now that I can do both hand entry or exit, I can do continuous smoooth limb wraps and stuff.

Anyhow - I thought you guys would like that one (if you dont know it), cuz you can use it with doubles too...

Anyhow - another similar one...

Horizontal 360 Neck wrap with jam reversal.

Anyhow, you go into it like a normal horizontal neck wrap 2/3 hand placement etc, but instead of releasing at the normal time to wrap the back of the neck, tuck your hand around the other side of your neck to complete the extra first 180 - and making the staff wrap the front of the neck/throat. release wrap 180, catch between back of head and shoulder, jam and reverse, 180 and out.

Anyhow - I know this is probly pretty basic, but I thought there might be something in that for someone out there

Catchya,

Josh

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
I started with the neckwrap going with the wrong hand, took me ages to figure outgh why it was so awkward.

Been trying to catch and stall backwards spinning rotors in the crook of my arm, ouch.

good day today though...

N

-><- Kallisti

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
the double arm thing where it looks like you grab your neck can be gone in to various ways. like if you were doing a vertical neck wrap but wrap it on the left arm then the right or whatever makes you comfortable. or you can do a same arm wrap (the one that goes under your armpit) then it wraps over the left and then right...

hope this helps. hey josh, where ya been? finally got that fishtail thing to work...

anyone got a light?

Mineiromember
262 posts

Posted:
the neck wraps and jams... nice one for doubles this - start one in right hand, other jammed between neck and right shoulder. jammed staff(1) does neck wrap out to left hand, staff 2 does horizontal neck wrap to jam between neck and left shoulder... and you should be in the opposite to the start position....looks beautiful with 5ft staffs, 13cm wicks....been out in the sun playing every day i can recommend it to all....

Mineiromember
262 posts

Posted:
ooooh ooooooohhhh oooooh ooooh nearly forgot!!!!!!! btb throw(horizontal) onto foot catches....almost got it to roll back up leg into my hand again... down is easy but up.... smoothness will take time methinks. someone has to learn this cause i want to see what it looks like.
tchau
Rob

Mineiromember
262 posts

Posted:
ooooh ooooooohhhh oooooh ooooh nearly forgot!!!!!!! btb throw(horizontal) onto foot catches....almost got it to roll back up leg into my hand again... down is easy but up.... smoothness will take time methinks. someone has to learn this cause i want to see what it looks like.
tchau + enjoy
Rob

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Wow Mineiro!

Sounds like you have some sick moves, I think I could learn a lot just by watching you twirl. Have you got any doubles videos up online anywhere?

Not to worry if you dont, I'm going to be coming to your part of the world soon - and then perhaps we can hook up for a spin. Same goes for Nix and Cantus and Tempest

Josh

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yeah, minero's runnin away with it...

cool, josh is commin over, Better get practicing....

Love

N

-><- Kallisti

Mineiromember
262 posts

Posted:
(blush)

only small bits of video to show for months of hard work.....sorry guys i am disorganised, every time we do a filmed show it seems i a forced to juggle with those damn aerotechs and not play with my own toys of choice
but nix i will see you soon josh i hope also..
small seed for your brains... try contact one staff on the other.... mmmmmmmm.

enjoy
Rob

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
oh oh oh!

Minero your a ****in genius! Im all a shudder with the posabilities...

Love

N

-><- Kallisti

Mineiromember
262 posts

Posted:
hah! just you wait til i get that double staff contact roll accross and down the back...you promised you would give up if i managed and it has only been 24 hours since i first tried it...been good having nix here some hefty sessions going on, a good swap methinks....
enjoy

SpykeBRONZE Member
28 posts

Posted:
Just an idea i've been trying out, (even though i don't use doubles yet). Figure 8's on side, both forward, 180 degrees out of synch, when one comes to the front, roll it over your neck and catch it with same hand, then when other hand comes to front, repeat. In other words one stick is rolling over your neck while the other is behind your back (you will need to add a few spins behind back to compensate for the longer time it takes in front).
I got it a few times before realising why i don't use two staffs, but managed to incorporate the single hand over the neck into normal routine.

'At this moment, you should be with us, feeling like we do, like you loved to, but never will again.'

Mineiromember
262 posts

Posted:
yeeessss..... if you go pretty slowly(smoother also) you can do it on single spins... also same direction(but much harder, you have to cross arms and know what is going on, with alternates you can kind of forget about it).
for a bit of variety try a head spin insted of a neck roll.

one kind of cheat move(but beautiful) is to just hold one staff out in front of you and do neck rolls with the other... then when you are comfortable with that start to spin your body round in the opposite direction to the moviong staff. remember to keep the other one solid in front of you...and enjoy.

Rob

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
been workin hard on my backspins latly and gotta new variation for ya.

were going shoulderwrap/neckpinch turn180 halfneckwrap/neckpinch normally right? well, thats what I do. anyway, if you put the neckwrap round the front of the neck and instead of neckpinchibng raise your arm over your head letting the staff go round your armpit and onto your back!

It does happen, no, really.

its hard as but you can get it to spin acrossthe shoulders and grab the stick with the hand you let go of it with.

Thanks to minero for showing me the new half.

see ya peeps.

N

-><- Kallisti

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Nix and rob, you two are both getting too sick.
and too good. wow
I give up, i think i'm going to have to come of a tour the summer to meet everyone and catch up on everything on missing.
I feel like i'm soo last year

keep it up
glass

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
dodat

N

-><- Kallisti

Mineiromember
262 posts

Posted:
yepp....
also another variation i finally got after two hours of hitting the back of my head(unlit, i did not want to lose my semblance of rastas...)is one contact accross the top off the back, the other being passed hand to hand at the base of your back...
oh and nix....its time for you to give up i'm afraid(check that earlier post.....)hope your new toy is bringing you joy and bruises(few)

see y'all soon(glass come here and play whenever you like the more the merrier...)

enjoy
mineiro

Page: