Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Btb weave with (short) doubles

Login/Join to Participate

funkenflugmember
7 posts

Posted:
Hi fellow staffers,today I was just playing around for a bit with my short (1 meter)doubles when I suddenly remembered something I have been wanting to try for some time now - the btb staffweave (3-beat). Well, to my surprise it felt not nearly as impossible as I had thought it would. In fact I´ve even managed to do a few slow and jerky repetitions of the move before the staffs snagged somehow. Next I tried the move using an endgrip on one staff (the one in my weak hand) and this felt quite quite smooth and easy. Has anyone else experience with this move and is it possible to perform the move smoothly without cheating (I mean with center-grip on both staffs!!)? And by the way, I am talking about the weave where in poi speak the ends would be swinging towards me.Have fun twirling FUNKENFLUG

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
I'm still not up on the translation of poi and staff moves, but I've been working on what I think may be the BTB weave with my long doubles (1.4 metres).I do a figure 8 behind the small of my back with each staff chasing each other but have to keep twisting my body and direction I'm facing so that the staffs stay behind me. They still do a convoluted figure eight, it just takes me a lot of effort to dance around them, keeping them BTB.Does this sound like it could be similar or is a different style of move? shocked------------------Charles (AKA INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggle.co.nz/fire/fire.html[This message has been edited by Charles (edited 19 March 2002).]

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

funkenflugmember
7 posts

Posted:
Hallo Charles,thanks for your prompt reply. I ain´t exactly sure what you are doing, and it might be something similar to the weave I guess, but the expression "figure 8" throws me somewhat. The weave (at least the 3-beat variation I have in mind) does not really use a figure 8. Now I won´t try to explain the weave here, because it would require a rather lenghty explanation and there´s already tons of material (forwards/backwards/btb/2-/3-/4-/5-/6-/7-/25-beat smile)and what else you might think of on it to be found on this forum anyway.What I´m trying to do is to translate this rather standard club /poi move (3-beat btb )as well as possible into a staff move, using a center grip, of course(otherwise it would be easy).I ain´t sure if this can be done with style and grace, but I´ll keep trying. I´ll keep you posted, best regards FUNKENFLUG

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Man, I'm still trying to get the 3-beat weave *in front* with the doubles. So far it's really ugly. I must be missing something. My doubles, fwiw, are 3'6"/107 cm.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
/raises handUm ma'am, is this gonna be on the test? :/

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
sounds like lots of fun and bruises, still dealing with the 3 beat forwards grinLove the idea of poi translation though, helps keep my mind on two passions.TEMPEST

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I've never seen anyone do a decent 3-beat weave with centre griped doubles...and thats in front of their body. If you get this you absolutely HAVE to make a video of it.Good luck, and may the force be with you.Josh

Mineiromember
262 posts

Posted:
dont know if its a 'three beat weave' but one in front of you is easy if you put in a snake(extra wrist wrap). for reverse weave, the snake is the hand coming up underneath, for forwards it is the one coming out from underneath. btb nice one is with a minimum of spins keeping a rectangle with your 4 ends....oooooohhhhhh so many nice things from bjc, i guess htey will all appear on here at some point soon :-)Rob

brain replacement...anyone?

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
Hi Mineiro, how many spinners and fireys are there up in the Edinburgh area? I will be up there to visit friends and possibly for the festival - fancy a spin?

Mineiromember
262 posts

Posted:
loads.... i would say about 50 or 60 at any one time, but only 20-30 going out regularly for play...but now the weather is getting nice it will be more... when are oyu planning to come up? for btane? it would be great to have a spin together.

back on the threaad...trying some btb weave throws at the moment....hmmmm

brain replacement...anyone?