Page:
NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I recently have been trying out FLAG twirling. What a cool alternative for poi! For those of you not in the know, flag twirling is when you twirl large pieces of fabric, no actual flagpole... you've probably seen cheezy half-time shows with them and such.It's like poi on crack! Some of the moves are very similar and some are totally impossible! Also, you can't do the same move twice in a row because the flags will twist so you need to immidiately "undo" the move you did (that is, if you do a rotation on your right side you need to do the exact rotation on your left... no 3+ beat weaves!)It's ALL about figure 8s, corkscrews, and windmills. CRAZY! Try it if you get the chance, you'll remember what it was like to be a poi newbie again! It's ALL about the wrist and not much about the arm motion and the weight extend from your thumbs rather than from your fingers.It seems to be influencing my poi style in a positive way, it's much easier to dance and move about. Also ZERO pain for messing up factor. Actually, it's impossible to really mess up as you cant tangle or hit yourself, you just keep going and the flags follow.Just wanted to share. Anyone know any flag sites? I'm certainly not ditching poi in the least, I think this will make me a much better poier in the future...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
OMG, my post was back in 2001.

Did you ever hang with Axis Dance? George gives Flagging classes on 14th street and they're really good. Plus, lots of hot gay guys. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
You sooo need a viedo thread doc it would probably dwarf the gayfest's size in a week

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
has anyone else got poipoi flags ( yes...i know they are poo)

they're like trying to spin two pillow cases

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Ive just got some, how do you mean pillow cases rave? I like mine smile

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
i mean my flags are huge ubblol i preffer them smaller because they spin a bit faster

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
But large flags are all floaty and swooshy and fshooomy and fantastic to spin when they drag.

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
A picture of me and my flages is now in my gallery...I love my flags.

k8etSILVER Member
20 posts

Posted:
bumping rather than create another flag thread.. wink

so, i ordered a set of flags from here. (HOP) I was really looking forward to them, but now i'm not sure they are what I really want.

1) They don't seem to be heavy enough for me. I want to slow things down because they look so dramatic, but i have to keep it faster than I'd prefer to keep them moving correctly. I'm debating whether to try modifying them and adding weight, or making my own from scratch instead.

2) While they are bright, I LOVE the look of the sheer iridescent ones. And I'm not crazy about the noise of the material.... So, I'm also thinking maybe I should make a set because I can use any material (even if it doesn't hold up as long, not a huge deal. I sew a little, my mom sews a ton. we're crafty and have huge amounts of material lying around)

the pros? the handles/swivels. that rocks. haven't tried spinning flags without them, hmmm maybe tonight i'll try just grabbing the fabric on these and see whether i can adjust to no handles....

So, I only got them this week, and used them for 5 minutes... Should I return them and make my own? or keep them and get used to them? I know in the end it's my choice but i'd like to hear the opinions of others who used HOP flags or made their own... I don't have a huge budget so it'd be great to get a refund or exchange them for a set of poi with tails from here... LOL

thanks ;o)

aka hunnybear in burning man circles
avatar: hunnybear - nj - 06/16/07 (c) abjectphoto

jbooSILVER Member
3 posts

Posted:
I know I'm a bit late to this party, but I've got some tutorials on flagging if anyone is interested:

I only know of 2 other people that use swing flags though!

Page: