Page:
CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Here we go again in an exhaustive attempt to get some more common terms for staff moves to enable webbased sharinf of tricks.There are three section, Staff Movements (what the staff does regardless of how it is achieved), Manipulation Movements (what your body and fingers etc do to make the staff behave a certain way) and Body Movements (just what the body is doing, without reference to the staff)These are split so that people who are doing certain move in a different way with the same result get to share their ways instead of thinking they are the same...----------Staff Movements---------------- * HELICOPTER = A horizontal spin in the same space, usually above the head. * ROTOR = Any vertical spin that stays in one space. Same as HELICOPTER, but perpindicular to the ground. * 1/2SPIN = Where the staff has only spun 180, this is regardless of any other motions or actions. * FULLSPIN/DOUBLESPIN/TRIPLESPIN/ 1/4SPIN ETC= As above, 1 spin is a complete rotation and the rest as they apply. * FIGURE 8 = To do a 1/2SPIN on you left and right side with the path crossing directly in fron of you. A trail from the centre of the staff would make a sideways figure 8 wrapped around you. * SIDEWAYS FIGURE 8 = A FIGURE 8 where the 1/2SPINS are in front and behind you, instead of on either side. * POP = Simple flat throw into the air, horizontal without spinning unless otherwise stated. * OVERHEAD POP = Flat throw from the front and caught behind or from behind and caught in front. * CLOCKWISE = The spin of the staff in relation to the front of the staffer * ANTICLOCKWISE = Reverse of clockwise, or same direction but behind your back rather than in front. ----------Manipulation Movements---------- *PINWHEEL = When the staff spins in a large vertical circle made up of smaller circles. Most common pattern for a continous BTB move. * FINGERSPIN = To roll the staff through your fingers one-by one, keeping the staff stationary and spinning in a ROTOR or HELICOPTER. *** please note, FINGERSPINS do not need to travel along all five fingers, but the end action where the staff wraps under or over the hand to begin the motion again is seen as the end, not the beginning*** * PINKYSPIN = FINGERSPIN that begins with the pinky, and then to the ring finger, index finger and so on. * THUMBSPIN = Same as PINKYSPIN, but starting form the thumb and then traveling along the pointing finger, index finger and so on. * FORWARDS = To lead a movement or spin with the thumb on the leading part of the staff. As in slicing a sword down diagonally in front of you. * BACKWARDS = Same as FORWARDS, but with the pinky on the leading part of the staff. * FORWARDS FIGURE 8 = To lead with the thumb-half of the staff when doing a figure eight. * Wrap = To roll the staff lengthwise around a body part. * ARMWRAP/WRISTWRAP/NECKWRAP etc... * CATCH = To grasp the staff in one or both hands that were not holding it earlier ( ) * PINCH = To grip the staff between non-hand body parts, such as the shoulder and neck or the forearm and bicep. The staff continues to move or spin to be a pinch, otherwise it is a STALL. * NECKPINCH = To grip the staff between the neck and back or neck and chest while keeping it moving.* HANDWRAP = To release the staff while spinning it so that it rolls over or under your hand and then cathing it again. Often used during FINGERSPINS to keep the staff centred. * STALL = I'd like some more feedback on this, but would prefer a stall to be any move that stops the spin completely. * FOOTSTALL = Horizontal catch or movement with the staff stationary and horizontal on your foot for at least one milliheartbeat. * FOOTBALANCE = Balancing the staff on one end (preferably without fire) on your foot for at least one milliheartbeat * TOOTHGRAB = Any STALL or move where the staff is held by the mouth/teeth/TONGUE!!! etc. People like myself who experiment with moves like this should prepare themselves for ridicule... * TUCK = Like an underarm roll. To swing the staff under your armpit, either to catch it there or as part of another move. * PALMSPIN = To spin the staff in a flat palm, without using the fingers. * "insert body part here"SPIN = To spin the staff on your "IBPH" without using hands or arms. -----------Body Movements------------------ * 180 = Half-rotation of entire body (usually using feet) * PIROUETTE = Full-rotation of body * 45,90,270 = Well, you get the idea, aye? * LEFT-TWIST = swiveling at the waist 90 degrees to your left * RIGHT-TWIST = swiveling at the waist 90 degrees to your right * LEFT-TWIST[45][20][180!] etc = Swiveling the appropriate number of degrees, also includes RIGHT-TWISTS. ***Any move calling for 180 or more should put an "!" after it, coz its very hard to do!*** Miscellaneous *BURNOFF = To spin off excess fuel by spinning the staff horizontally on its own axis, sometimes producing two fireballs.

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

maeonmember
40 posts

Posted:
Hey Charles,I think I've only just missed you! I was wondering ...I thought I might be about to teach 'a pro' the scoop. Can you explain the Double Figure 8 ...do you do as Spyke says and add in an extra spin infront too? I've never done that, but I'd be interested in learning if I could visualise it more.I understand the Helicopter thing, and that it doesn't neccessarily mean changing hands, but I was going by the description at the top"HELICOPTER = A horizontal spin in the same space, usually above the head"With the HORIZONTAL FIGURE 8 the spin wouldn't be in the same space ...so it didn't really fit. So I thought, and especially because you mention the importance of sticking to the figure 8 terminology that we should leave it as a more basic description. But that said ...I don't really mind, a rose by any other name.... Maybe if you call it a helicopter 8 you could tweak the description of helicopter a little?Oh yeah, I knew I had a question. Do you have any plans for a 'common move names conversion table'? I was thinking, once the official HOP moves are named, we could all come on and add what we call them. I know the names are different even accross suburbs. It would be pretty cool, and in the same way that the Fuel Conversion Tables tell us that shellite and white gas are the same thing, we would know that:pinwheel=star=windmill=pretzel=spirographthat would be cool.maeon

Where in the world is the island I'm on?

SpykeBRONZE Member
28 posts

Posted:
Charles, i like that name, DOUBLE FIGURE 8, why didn't i think of it?I find that once i learnt the double, i found it really difficult to not use it and by the time i finally work out how to do the single agian i forget why i wanted to do the single in the first place! Anywayz. . Maeon, the double at the front is quite simple, just involves a little bit of forgetting how to do the single. If we start with the staff held vertical and we go forward in front of the body. When the staff gets to the start again, it is time to move it to the back, True? Well, for single spin anyway. For the double you need to keep it in front still for another half spin. This involves bending your wrist (i'm using my right hand) first to the right as if your about to lead behind but then under to the left and basically laying the staff OVER your wrist while your thumb points left. Then when your wrist locks up it is time to *quickly* switch it behind you, with the end pointing right (the PINKY end) going towards the ground. One end of the staff doesn't seem to be spinning but the effect is there.It sounds very confusing now that i reread it, god i wish it was easier to describe moves in words. I hope this helps.Spyke

'At this moment, you should be with us, feeling like we do, like you loved to, but never will again.'

maeonmember
40 posts

Posted:
my goodness. I've been sitting here for about half an hour with my trusty pencil staff trying so hard. I don't know if its hard to describe moves in words, its just very hard to translate them into words then back out again ...like translating english to chinese and back to english again - it never works perfectly. I hate to say it, but I still can't get it without dislocating my wrist. Unless, the staff's spin changes direction in the extra half spin.ordo you mean the move where you do a FORWARDS EIGHT INFRONT of your body that links to a REVERSE EIGHT BEHIND your body? It has a total of 4 beats and involves a bit of torso twisting. Hopefully this is what the one you mean, because I can see how it equals double eight very nicely, one infront, one behind.butthe scoop isn't a sideways eight with a reverse eight behind your body.soif the DOUBLE EIGHT is what I described, let me know and I'll try to describe the scoop spin by painful spin.aaah the joys of the internet. Maybe I will save my pennies for the Interational Gathering. Or buy a videophone.maeon.

Where in the world is the island I'm on?

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
hi,i been messing about with some new stuff latly, got a kinda contact thing where you catch the staff between the forarm and bicep. eg full neckrap pulled of with the nearest forarm and then trapped with the staff lying ontop of the forarm and under the bicep. You can then flip your arm out and the staff reverses direction and hops into the air. (pull your arm out quick mind wink) There are quiet a few variations. My question is, is this elbow grip (wich I always saw as clasping the center of the staff in the crook of your elbow) or something else?LoveN

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
I'd say it was an "elbow pinch" if it lies in the crook of the elbow and is held by the forearm and bicep.There's the whole swathe of pinches, like shoulder pinch (neck and shoulder), chin pinch (chest and chin) etc etc.As far as I can tell, these particular moves are the few types that hardly ever get misunderstood, as its pretty simple to describe them in just the way you have, so that everyone understands.As it hasn't been an issue, I'd rather not define them which will just clog up the name list but not actually help anymore...Maeon, sorry I didn't reply to your post fro a while, lots of wedding, work, gigs etc stuff going on at the moment.The double figure 8 I'm thinking of is where you get an extra 1/2 spin by rotating the staff in your hand then and another by "scooping" the NEW leading edge behind you. This last movement also involves rolling the shoulder behind you when it was in front. It felt really wierd when James showed it to me and took several days for it to feel comfortable.Is it the same move or something different to yours?Cheers.------------------Charles (AKA INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggle.co.nz/fire/fire.html[This message has been edited by Charles (edited 04 April 2002).]

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
ok, here's a slighty revised list, I'm sure I've forgotten lots of basic moves, could peeople please remind me?
And Maeon, there's a belated reply up above this post, sorry about the wait.

----------Staff Movements----------------

* HELICOPTER = A horizontal spin in the same space, usually above the head.

* ROTOR = Any vertical spin that stays in one space. Same as HELICOPTER, but perpindicular to the ground.

* 1/2SPIN = Where the staff has only spun 180, this is regardless of any other motions or actions.

* FULLSPIN/DOUBLESPIN/TRIPLESPIN/ 1/4SPIN ETC
= As above, 1 spin is a complete rotation and the rest as they apply.

* FIGURE 8 = To do a 1/2SPIN on you left and right side with the path crossing directly in fron of you. A trail from the centre of the staff would make a sideways figure 8 wrapped around you.

* DOUBLE FIGURE 8 = An extension of the FIGURE 8, with two extra spins on each side.

* SIDEWAYS FIGURE 8 = A FIGURE 8 where the 1/2SPINS are in front and behind you, instead of on either side.

* POP = Simple flat throw into the air, horizontal without spinning unless otherwise stated.

* OVERHEAD POP = Flat throw from the front and caught behind or from behind and caught in front.

* CLOCKWISE = The spin of the staff in relation to the chest of the staffer

* ANTICLOCKWISE = Reverse of clockwise, or same direction but behind your back rather than in front.

----------Manipulation Movements----------

*PINWHEEL = When the staff spins in a large vertical circle made up of smaller circles. Most common pattern for a continous BTB move.

* FINGERSPIN = To roll the staff through your fingers one-by one, keeping the staff stationary and spinning in a ROTOR or HELICOPTER.

*** please note, FINGERSPINS do not need to travel along all five fingers, but the end action where the staff wraps under or over the hand to begin the motion again is seen as the end, not the beginning***

* PINKYSPIN = FINGERSPIN that begins with the pinky, and then to the ring finger, index finger and so on.

* THUMBSPIN = Same as PINKYSPIN, but starting form the thumb and then traveling along the pointing finger, index finger and so on.

* FORWARDS = To lead a movement or spin with the thumb on the leading part of the staff. As in slicing a sword down diagonally in front of you.

* BACKWARDS = Same as FORWARDS, but with the pinky on the leading part of the staff.

* FORWARDS FIGURE 8 = To lead with the thumb-half of the staff when doing a figure eight.

* Wrap = To roll the staff lengthwise around a body part.

* ARMWRAP/WRISTWRAP/NECKWRAP etc...

* CATCH = To grasp the staff in one or both hands that were not holding it earlier ( )

* PINCH = To grip the staff between non-hand body parts, such as the shoulder and neck or the forearm and bicep. The staff continues to move or spin to be a pinch, otherwise it is a STALL.

* NECKPINCH = To grip the staff between the neck and back or neck and chest while keeping it moving.

* HANDWRAP = To release the staff while spinning it so that it rolls over or under your hand and then cathing it again. Often used during FINGERSPINS to keep the staff centred.

* STALL = Any move that stops the spin completely for at least one milliheartbeat.

* FOOTSTALL = Horizontal catch or movement with the staff stationary and horizontal on your foot for at least one milliheartbeat.

* BALANCE = Balancing the staff on one end (preferably without fire) on a bodypart for at least one milliheartbeat.

* TOOTHGRAB = Any STALL or move where the staff is held by the mouth/teeth/TONGUE!!! etc. People like myself who experiment with moves like this should prepare themselves for ridicule...

* TUCK = Like an underarm roll. To swing the staff under your armpit, either to catch it there or as part of another move.

* PALMSPIN = To spin the staff in a flat palm, without using the fingers.

* "insert body part here"SPIN = To spin the staff on your "IBPH" without using hands or arms.

-----------Body Movements------------------

* 180 = Half-rotation of entire body (usually using feet)

* PIROUETTE = Full-rotation of body

* 45,90,270 = Well, you get the idea, aye?

* LEFT-TWIST = swiveling at the waist 90 degrees to your left

* RIGHT-TWIST = swiveling at the waist 90 degrees to your right

* LEFT-TWIST[45][20][180!] etc = Swiveling the appropriate number of degrees, also includes RIGHT-TWISTS.

***Any move calling for 180 or more should put an "!" after it, coz its very hard to do!***

Miscellaneous

*BURNOFF = To spin off excess fuel by spinning the staff horizontally on its own axis, sometimes producing two fireballs.

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

LordMattmanBRONZE Member

Posted:
well done mr charles!! that will help me learn greatly, cheers

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Not to nitpick, but wouldn't ANTICLOCKWISE be COUNTERCLOCKWISE? Or is that just what we call it here in the states and Im missing something?

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
WOW! Now this thread is a real blast from the past...

As for anticlockwise and counterclockwise, as far as I know they are bouth interchangable, but anticlockwise is shorter and used by me a lot.

Hee hee, and to think, I wasn't even a moderator back then. Beefy, if you PM me, I'll share you a little secret about the real reason I started this thread...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

Page: