pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
does anyone have some things that can be done without hands? i use a longer heavier staff so that it keeps the rotation and can pull off some pretty cool no handed stuff.one that i like is doing the behind the back "pinwheel" i think (a high pass and low pass with extra circles) going right hand to left hand on top and left to right on bottom.well when the right hand gets the staff from the bottoma nd comes up instead of passing it to the left hand i set it on my right shoulder and it spins over that shoulder and the left and then i can grab it with the left hand and continue its path.the other ones is kind of like a wrap, doing a horozontal spin, do a neck wrap, but duck your head so it stays on your back for an extra revolution and it comes out underneath the right armpit.any other ideas for things where it spins on your body with out using your hands would be cool.

anyone got a light?

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
oh yeah and another one that i love is to do the shoulder wrap (coming up from under the right armpit) after the one tip of the staff passes you stick your neck in the way and then it wraps the neck and then it wraps your left shoulder(you have to kind of keep rotating your body) and then after that you do a quicker turn and it re-wraps over the right shoulder and comes out in front of you.if i did not explain that too well just let me know. i am not the greatest at explaining staff stuff...

anyone got a light?

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Those are cool, Pozee, I keep meaning to work on more 'contact' staff moves but keep falling to the same old pattern with the neck roll going into the arm roll.Something I've finally got now is a throw from under the legs, which I'm certain could be a leg wrap as well.The other is a headspin, spinning the staff on the top of your head. There's a guy who was in Auckland (haven't seen him for ages) who just stand there spinning it forever on his head. The most I've ever managed has been 3 turns and it's nowhere near consistent yet...The descriptions are pretty good, especially the pinwheel one...------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
i have tried the headspin a few times, more of a joke really cause i cant do it...another kind of no hand thing, well i guess it is like a palm spin type thing is to horozontally spin the staff and when it is in the right hand set it onto your back on the left side and let it spin up your back a few times to you right shoulder...an actual no had thing i was doing was to do the same horozontal spin and bring it from the right hand and set it onto the right fore arm and it spins and you bend over sticking your arm straight up and it spins around your arm a bit and then spins onto your back then you can catch it with the other fore arm and i will spin around the arm up into a palm spin.i need to read over the staff moves section again and get re-acquainted with the names...

anyone got a light?

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
balance it on your head and bellydance under it B)so always while i was learning to do this shoulder wrap thing i end up hitting myself in the face. my staff is short but it seems like i should be able to do it so long as i can get the body move under it right to keep it going. i guess i should go look up what you call the neck wrap but basically its when if you were spinning forward you put your head in the way and let it roll over your neck so you catch in the opposite hand o nthe other side? or is this a neck roll? and if this is what we're talking about how do you get your arm in the way to let it go under your armpit or are you mostly bent over horizontally when you do it?that made no sense, but hey smilePere

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yotheres a whole wibbly world of contact staff,its da next level cooltry:round the arm (forwards) to catch and then under and over the shoulder and catch.or,spin backwards and place centre on hand-side shoulder, turn away from staff 180 degrees and catch comming off the other shoulder. start this from a throw.theres loads, but thease are nice. check out the cubefx vid for the real hard sh@t. winkNix

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
I am still very new to staff, and have little dealings with wrap/contact work just yet. But I have managed to get a spin on my lower back when I arch (like a stretching cat).Sadly I have a rather lumpy head, so I can only spin or balance the staff if my head is cocked to the side blush

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Bendy, my heads not lumpy as such, but its round (like most people's) the staff wants to slide off and bash me in the neck, just before it burn my right earlobe...Using a cotton hat has made it possible to do 3 spins so far, although I get the feeling others may be able to learn this particular trick a lot faster than me (hint HINT HINT!)Also been working on a wrap from under my left armpit, to my right shoulder and then a stall type thing where it changes direction (because of gravity) and does another wrap under the right armpit. Feeling fairly proud of myself but determined to get the headspin....------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I used to do headspins (never very successfully). I was doing loads more contact staff over xmas but i haven't really practiced much staff at all lately - did i mention I was preoccupied?let's see, what do I do? Shoulderwraps, arm wraps, a kind of half hearted neckwrap, arm rolls, forearm spins, shoulderspin, a sort of backspin thing.....Not as much as i want to do. I'll get back into practicing soon.Got loads of tattoos to design and paintings to paint before I can really start practicing again though.....------------------C@ntusThere's only one way of life and that's your own.

Meh