Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > "The Fire Twirling Book" by Bec & Elke McConnell

Login/Join to Participate

Scratch_n_Sniffmember
9 posts

Posted:
Hey, does anyone know if this book is worth getting? I've been mostly teaching myself how to twirl a single staff for the last month of so now, and I'm getting a whole lot better, but I'm not fully sure if my technique is always up to scratch...Should I bother getting the book?------------------Needless complexity is a sign of a conditioned mind...Simplicity is the missing ingredient

Needless complexity is a sign of a conditioned mind...
Simplicity is the missing ingredient

CarreySILVER Member
180 posts

Posted:
I got the book as a Christmas present hoping that I would attempt to pick up a staff fairly soon, but as yet, I'm still in love-love-love with Poi and haven't quite found the need or the time to move onto anything else…Having said that, I have at least read the book and I can say I like the descriptions and especially the artwork. It’s easy to follow and inspiring. The book is very down to earth and well written, despite the occasional confusion between "your" and "you're" but I can forgive minor grammatical errors if you can. winkIt’s a lot smaller than I expected it to be and wire bound, so not professionally made or anything, but I would say a good start if you have never picked up a staff, and if you don’t have anyone else to learn from.Happy learning!C

Gruffmember
106 posts

Posted:
VERY HELPFUL YES!!!Originally a poi-er I taught myself staff with a broom pole just working out moves that could be transferred from poi to staff.After 6 months I got the book and It helped me out with quite a few aspects of staff.Its very straight forward and easy to understand and definately worth it even just for one or two moves!!!PLUS: its spiral-bound so you can lie it flat and read it whilst trying your new move!!GO GET IT !!Gruff wink

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
I bought it after doing staff for a year, also mostly self-taught, and it helped enormously.It didn't give me a thousand new moves, only a couple that I hadn't done already, but it really helped with technique and patterning.Overall, it made me think about the way the staff and my body moved even for things I could already do. This made me think about moves that I had never consciously thought a bout before and was an immense help.And the spiral binding is great as already mentioned, for lying it on the ground while doing the moves...------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I highly recommend it. I got it when i first started out (and look at me now grin). I found it an informative, well written and invaluable guide.

Meh

phuzzzmember
160 posts

Posted:
Phuzzz and I got it for our bookstore and for ourselves. The art work is great and the drawings simple and easy to understand. Great for beginning staff work.

SurlochSILVER Member
64 posts

Posted:
Plus, they are from Brisbane, so you can't go wrong !!*shameless Brisbane plug*Seriously, Bec and Elke are both really good at what they do, and although I haven't read the book so can't recommed it (yet, got one coming to me) I can recommend them, which is much the same thing grin

Ní mar a síltear a bítear

“Things may not be as they seem to be”

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
I like the pictures. grin

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

tau neutrinoPLATINUM Member
35 posts

Posted:
get the book! i had the pleasure of meeting bec and elke of all places in singapore! they put up a show for a week. they looked great and wowed the crowd with their routine.they are great people , and always ready to help out. even taught me one or two moves! go go get it!j

tau neutrinoPLATINUM Member
35 posts

Posted:
sorry posted above message twice. anyway its a great book. i had been learning how to staff alone. i had managed to get some of the basic moves on my own. then when i got the book i was comparing the way i did it to the way they did it. helped me get the finer points. i wish they would come out with book for doubles...or anyone else for that matter... hint hint...the doubles lessons on HOp are a bit empty...comeon guys have pity on people like me...stuck on a sunny island with very very few people interested in playing with fire.... smile[This message has been edited by ikarus (edited 26 January 2002).]

Tlightmember
189 posts

Posted:
Personnaly i didnt find it helped but i got it at a time when id kinda cooled down of staffing. I found I didnt learn any new moves but you would have to judge how good you are and how much you have to learn. I would recommend meeting some other staffers as i think you would learn a lot more.

I hope you realize how pissed I am.

Fezzamember
13 posts

Posted:
I've seen the book around but havent had a chance to really look into it it. HOw much is it generally, do remember i am talking about aussie dollars here smileFeZZa

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Fezza, the price will be whatever your CreditCard company's exchange rate is at the time of purchase.It changes frequently, and the US currency is (usually) a little more stable than others making it a good medium to trade with.If you like, you can call the bank you have the card with and they can advise you either of current rates or who to contact to give you that info.Cheers...------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Fezzamember
13 posts

Posted:
yo charles its all good i live in australia so there is no conversion need to be done cause the book is made in brisbane, which just happens to be where i live smile anyway thanx for the advice and will make some much needed inquiries seeyaFezzam_ferriman@hotmail.com

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
yeah!!! buy it buy it buy it!!!! biggrin

bec & elke are lovely ladies and their book is full of lovely pics & easy to follow instructions!

weavesmiley

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Buy it despite them being from Brisbane! tongue

Kyle McLeanBRONZE Member
Living it up
363 posts

Posted:
Written by: Patrick King of the Badgers

Buy it despite them being from Brisbane! tongue

ubblol
Ahh just why you *should* buy this book (apart from the fab art and very very good twirling pedagogy that is). Brisbane is a strange nexus of otherworldy energies, out of which the locals pluck many strange and engaging ideas about just you can to with a stick (the didge being a very old example of this). This book is good and might help clear things up for you a bit confused ubbidea

Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
i thought it was good except for the section on contact ......... all what 4 lines of it

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
The book was written in 2 B.C.

BC meaning before contact (as HoP community knows it)
This too is different from the Mayan Calander

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

becBRONZE Member
521 posts

Posted:
tee hee... ubblol Bender you are a sweetie..

yes, when we wrote the book we had never seen anyone doing anything but twirling sticks with their hands & fingers.. and we were just beginning to experiment with doing different things.. so 4 lines is probably all we could muster on our speculations at that stage..

There have obviously been many many advances in all sorts of areas of staff twirling.. so I guess the book becomes more a beginner's guide as each year passes..
We've contemplated writing a second edition, but I think HOP has become such an great real-time learning resource that it works well to suppliment what you might learn with the original edition.. as well as the fact that we are so crazy-busy performing at the moment that it's really not a possibility for now...

love to you all,
Bec .:*:.

.:* Moon Pixie *:.Carpal \'Tunnel
3,492 posts

Posted:
nahhhhhhh throw it in the creek! wink

yep... it was a fair while ago when we created the book so deffinatelly, as becca said, has become more of a bigginners guid as the whole twirling community has progressed so much scince then smile

But I'm sure there's still loads of useful information (not to mention the funky artwork cool hehehe ubblol I'm a dag!) for anyone just starting out.

Thanks heaps for all the lovely words guys! Love you all loads and loads with pixie sprinkles on top!*:.

Love Elke.:*

EDITED_BY: .:* Moon Pixie *:. (1090653670)

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
I reccommend it to light your staffs with...........

wink wink hee hee

I think it's wonderful hug

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Written by: fluffy napalm fairy

I reccommend it to light your staffs with...........

eek ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol