Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Anyone know any good martial arts videos?

Login/Join to Participate

tjoniBRONZE Member
116 posts

Posted:
Heyja all!I desperately need some inspiration! Have been told many times that martial arts movies are great for creating new staff moves but I have no idea where to start!(aside from crouching tiger..)Anyone know any good titles? Cheers!Tjoni

I'm out of my mind...but you can leave a message

If you remain calm while all around you is collapsing...possibly you are missing something

Phyrecatmember
17 posts

Posted:
G'day tjoni smile I think 'Dragon, The Bruce Lee Story' is pretty good, and 'Only the strong' (I know, I know, the storyline isn't brilliant lol) but the capoeira scenes are GREAT blush))))))Phyrecat smile

There is no better way to teach yourself concentration than learning staff next to a topless female.

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
"I have developed a style of fighting with NO fixed position..." Yeah good movie Phyrecat.Enter the Dragon (Have some tea?) grin

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

Mushinkatomember
164 posts

Posted:
Twin Warriors - Jet Li. A fantastic film with some shit-hot staff (cudgel) action.. especially towards the beginning.Most of his films are excellent for getting ideas, particularly some of his earliest ones. (The Shaolin trilogy are a bit dated, but still packed full of kickass action)ps: Havnt I seen a page somewhere on this site listing films with cool bits in them ??pps: Iron Monkey is one you MUST watch!!------------------Kato

Kato

tjoniBRONZE Member
116 posts

Posted:
Hey thanks alot guys...I checked the site for movie references but couldn't find anything...will search again. Cheers!!

If you remain calm while all around you is collapsing...possibly you are missing something

SteelWngsBRONZE Member
169 posts

Posted:
Define "good"?For true martial arts nothing beats 5 deadly venoms or return of 5 deadly venoms.now if you want something with a story line I would go with the "one upon a time in china" series.------------------Blessings to all, Peter "In motion, move like a thundering wave. When still, be like a mountain.Rising up, be like a monkey. Land swiftly and lightly like a bird. Be steadylike a rooster on one leg. One's stance is as firm as a pine tree, yetexpresses motion. Spin swiftly and circularly like a wheel. Bend and flexlike a bow. Waft gracefully like a leaf in the wind. Sink like a heavy pieceof metal. Prey like a watchful, gliding eagle. Accelerate like a gusty wind." Wushu Proverb

Blessings to all,
Peter
When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon ...you just have to outrun the halfling.

HitokageSILVER Member
70 posts

Posted:
Oh GOD! If you watch 5 deadly venoms...make SURE you are not tired. That movie, as great as it may be, is painful to watch if you are at all tired...And I mean painful!------------------"Burning--the process of breaking things down into a simpler form." -Hitokage---FireStorm---(jimidawg@snet.net)

Live as if you were to die tomorrow, learn as if you were to live forever -Mahatma Ghandi

Burning--the process of breaking things down into a simpler form. -Hitokage-

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Ok, good martial arts movies....... hmm.Shao-lin temple (old Jet Li film) has some crazy chain whip and rope dart, and I think, some staff. As was mentioned before, Crouching tiger had some sick spear work in it. There is a whole series of movies that I cant remember the exact name of. It's (something something) Wu-Tang. I think there are close to twenty movies in the series covering most every common style of kung fu, and some of the rarer ones too.------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

Jesus helps me trick people.

eyemonkeymember
22 posts

Posted:
Iron Monkey (the little boy smacks it)Once upon a time in chinaShaolin templeLegend of fong sai yukOdd Couple (old skool samo action.)Enter the DragonProject APolice story....... and so on.Pretty much any kung fu movie is good.Only the strong is cool, although a better film with Mark Dacascos is "Drive" ------------------peace out,EyEMonKeY

peace out,EyEMonKeY

tjoniBRONZE Member
116 posts

Posted:
Hey thanks alot everyone! Appreciate the help.Think I'll be spending the next three weeks in front of the idiot box lol. Cheers

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
hmmmm, not exactly the type of martial arts movies that have previoulsy discussed, but there was a PBS program that was Shaolin Monk exhibition, and it was incredible, if you have any way of finding it, i really suggest watching it...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

SteelWngsBRONZE Member
169 posts

Posted:
I think that you can buy the tapes from PBS.https://www.pbs.org/whatson/press/dec01/wheel_of_life.html------------------Blessings to all, Peter "In motion, move like a thundering wave. When still, be like a mountain.Rising up, be like a monkey. Land swiftly and lightly like a bird. Be steadylike a rooster on one leg. One's stance is as firm as a pine tree, yetexpresses motion. Spin swiftly and circularly like a wheel. Bend and flexlike a bow. Waft gracefully like a leaf in the wind. Sink like a heavy pieceof metal. Prey like a watchful, gliding eagle. Accelerate like a gusty wind." Wushu Proverb

Blessings to all,
Peter
When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon ...you just have to outrun the halfling.

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
thank you SW, i was just out searching for that link as a matter of fact...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!