Page:
NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I recently have been trying out FLAG twirling. What a cool alternative for poi! For those of you not in the know, flag twirling is when you twirl large pieces of fabric, no actual flagpole... you've probably seen cheezy half-time shows with them and such.It's like poi on crack! Some of the moves are very similar and some are totally impossible! Also, you can't do the same move twice in a row because the flags will twist so you need to immidiately "undo" the move you did (that is, if you do a rotation on your right side you need to do the exact rotation on your left... no 3+ beat weaves!)It's ALL about figure 8s, corkscrews, and windmills. CRAZY! Try it if you get the chance, you'll remember what it was like to be a poi newbie again! It's ALL about the wrist and not much about the arm motion and the weight extend from your thumbs rather than from your fingers.It seems to be influencing my poi style in a positive way, it's much easier to dance and move about. Also ZERO pain for messing up factor. Actually, it's impossible to really mess up as you cant tangle or hit yourself, you just keep going and the flags follow.Just wanted to share. Anyone know any flag sites? I'm certainly not ditching poi in the least, I think this will make me a much better poier in the future...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
And they rock when your friend is twirling them and you stand next to them when its hot *grin*------------------ - Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -https://wickeffect.cjb.net

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
I was gonna make a set till I realized they are mostly for guys who don't like girls. Has anyone come up with a flag design to counter this side effect and to attract girls?

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

Maelstrommember
135 posts

Posted:
Knagi didn't we try to address this, this passed weekend? During the day flags would work well as an ice breaker in any situation, espiecally at Nelson's! Or you'll have to face facts......you like guys Knagi. tongue (sorry I don't know how to make the wicking joke guy) Malcon, what kind of matterial and design did you use? I realy haven't seen any that I like.[This message has been edited by Maelstrom (edited 04 October 2001).]

Nothing good ever comes from hanging out with normal people.

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
I am sorry if I sound really off topic, but are you serious Knagi or is it a joke (what you say about flags basically being for gays hence gays being woossy ?) Sorry to break the nice atmosphere here especially if you did not mean this seriously Knagi but these jokes can have more weight and connotation than you think sometimes...As Desproges said (French stand up comedian) you can laugh about everything, but not with everyone...Shine on Cassandra, the "good atmosphere breaker"

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

DömAlterEgo
128 posts

Posted:
For some reason my attempt to make cool looking Flags failed. I borrowed a stranger's in a club and they flowed well, but my own just seem to flop.Malcolm, why don't you sell Flags? I'd buy a set on day one!

We're nothing but the nerds they think we are

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Knagi, OK I'm the only straight one of my friends who twirls flags... but hey, someone has to be a pioneer, right! Heterosexual pride! smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
It's not a joke.. You dunno how long I thought of a nice way of saying it. Sorry if I offended anyone but it's right here in black and white. https://www.cforcesf.com/
What kind of designs have you guys put on your flags. Or are they just solid color. I'd be more likey to make banners. Maybe something like the Dragon banner from wheel of time. Anyone have any other ideas? How long can a banner be befor it's impossiable to twirl? 8 9 feet?And Mealstrom you missed what happened saturday night after you passed out and I went drum circle hunting solo. Ended up slipping and falling on my face in some wet grass with double wicks and got lots of sympaty. wink Maybe I need to fall over more often :P------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"[This message has been edited by Knagi (edited 05 October 2001).]

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I wasn't joking either. It is quite popular among the gay community. Though, I am comfortable enough with myself to be able to twirl flags with other men without wanting to have sex with them. Call me crazy.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
OK, so I did not know that flags are common in the USA gay community so to me it just sounded like the usual stupid joke about more "feminine" activities being only for "fags" and I truly dislike this kind of humor... unless it is used among most of my gay friends... again... you can laugh about everything, but not with everyone... IMHOall rightmy apology for a misunderstanding then ... smileoh.. and NYC ? ::cassandra calling:: : "CRAZY" !!!!! winkshine onCassandra[This message has been edited by cassandra (edited 05 October 2001).][This message has been edited by cassandra (edited 05 October 2001).]

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
could you have poi... like... hrr...ok, basically, semicircular pieces of cloth, or like half torus shapes, attached to poichains... you'd need a really heavy weight at the end... basically its just poi with huge, thick trails... it'd be rather neat if oyu got really big ones.. and you could do multiple beat stuff (if very slowly...) when you did a weave it would look like a cirle... hmm...

x X x ß £ Ã… Ĉ К ÃŸ î я à x X x

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Also guys, remember that it originated in the homosexual community...all that means is that it originated there. I've started flagging and love it. If you still are upset about the whole homosexual thing, just think of yourself as a pioneer...bringing the art to different communities.~As a tip to people who have trouble flagging...grab the flag on the shorter side (if there is one), not on the edge. If you leave a few inches between the edge and your hand, it allows the flag to fan out. It took me a while to figure this out...and has made a world of difference.

SabineGOLD Member
29 posts

Posted:
Morning Gang,Actally, flagging goes back as far as the 16th Century. In Greece, it's considered an art form no matter who does it. Just my .02 cents worth.Sabine

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
Hmm, im with u Cassandra, with a prehistoric attitude like that Knagi, im surprised you'd attract girls at all.... IMHO------------------ - Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -https://wickeffect.cjb.net

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

NaganootchAKA CLERIC
172 posts

Posted:
KNAGI:::: maybe a skull and crossbones or a pot leaf.

We are defined by the choices we make

xaedamember
129 posts

Posted:
hello :-)I just wondered down to the computer lab in a singlet and bare feet. Then a storm broke out. So I'm gonna be a whimp stay here and hope it clears.....heh, could be here for a while ;-)I made some flags for myself last night. When I got the CoL video, in my ignorance I actually thought Dangerboy was just being incredibly original and spinning with bedsheets! Now I realise that it's something lots of people do, and that they're a little bit more complicated than just bedsheets ;-) Anyway, I made mine out of this incredibly thin, almost plasticy organza, it's silver and quite see-through....reminds me of dragonflies. I absolutely love them.....the movement is a bit more limited than with poi, but they're so beautiful. I've been experimenting with attatching a little wooden ball (about 5cm diameter) to the point where I hold them, so I can use club swinging grips. I was thinking if I attatch a swivel between the ball and the flag, it might stop the tangling problem. But I actually quite like them just the way they are. Wooohooo, new toys.....I'm happy :-)xaeda

the memories fire, the rhythm falls slow....

frodusmember
92 posts

Posted:
this place sells a lot of themtry them outi might order some in the futureits something differenthttps://www.circuittoys.com/cs/f00.htm

Peace,Travis IM: frodus17

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Dam what a bump eh, this is going to hurt my post whore reputation.

I just orderd a pair of flags from poipoi, they have a discount on flags where £17.99 down too £9.99. SO I thought ide try these out, ive allways wanted to get hold of some flags. I know you have to be carefull with them (but hey at a tenner tongue) anyone know what poipoi's flags are like? Good, awfull? ripp off? Worth it?

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I reckon:
Poipoi = cheaply made, low end quality products, made by sweatshop workers in Thailand*

shrug

Just my opinion though, so it would be best to wait for someone who actually has a pair to comment.

Oh, and would you have started a new thread about this were there not the "search before posting new thread" in place? wink
I probably would have ubblol

*this is probably NOT true wink

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
Megabump

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
I got some lovely flags from Oddballs, they have a beautiful weight to them and the material is a nice and sheer white with a black lining...so nice to use, not too big and not too small.

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
ooooooooooooooooo pwiddy flags bounce i spun using flags before, infact i own some and i cant believe the only reason someone wouldn't try or buy some is in case they might look homosexual ubblol

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Medusa

I got some lovely flags from Oddballs, they have a beautiful weight to them and the material is a nice and sheer white with a black lining...so nice to use, not too big and not too small.

Oddballs Flags = Sex with handles ubblove biggrin

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Oddballs Flags = Bondage?

Interesting.

tongue

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Pictures of Lisa/Faberge's uber-gorgeous and excellent to spin flags...

Michelle spinning lovely flags

also...

Some random person spinning flags by a lighthouse

Not as cheap as some... but they're hand-made and utterly brilliant

smile

Getting to the other side smile

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Fine_Rabid_Dog

Written by: Medusa

Oddballs Flags = Sex with handles ubblove biggrin

I agree, I've got some huuuge pink flags from oddballs fro 30quid. A bit on the steep side...but they're lovely biggrin

dewboi1982SILVER Member
14 posts

Posted:
I just went to Jo-ANNS and bought every thing i needed to make my own set of flags, it cost me a little more then half of what i would have spent to buy them from some place on the web, I think they turned out pretty good. I still need to make a few improvements to them but thats a given. I made mine 36'' by 24'' . Oh PS about if flags are a gay thing... It was my str8 friends that got me into them.

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
i bought some pink angel wings at the BJC, I really love them! It's a shame the wind messes the planes up a bit, but then again, if I mess the planes up, I can blame the wind! biggrin

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

JonnyRokBRONZE Member
Look! I'm Darth Bunny!
446 posts

Posted:
Always wanted to try flags, look like a lotta fun!

Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!
Yo ho fiddle dee dee, being a pirate is alright to be,
Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
oooh im all excited about them arriving now biggrin, cant wait!

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
OMG, NYC bringing up flagging? This was my first art. I learned poi off of flagging and I still have lots of weave, windmill, and corkscrew in my poi.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Page: