Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
"Crash, bang, thud, ow! Crash, bang, thud, ow!"What's that noise?Someone's been reading the staff moves section again.Okay. I just broke my favorite coffe cup (a Walt Disney evil queen mug) working out this move.It is a double BTB drop and catch with long staffs. Start with both staffs in front. Rotate the right one CCW 360 degrees up to just behind the right ear. Staff is horizontal. Rod is on the outside of the forearm. Index finger points down the stick to left. I stall the stick for an instant to take to momentum out of it. Then left go with your right hand and whip your right hand down and back (like quick-drawing a gun) and catch the staff in palm. Rotate left staff up and behind left ear, stall, release, catch. Then right stick again, left, etc.For a dramatic build-up: hold one staff in your teeth. Do single BTB stall-drops (what I just described) from right to left, then left to right. (This is a good way to get the coordination down.) Then spit the staff out into your hand and move on to the double drops.This was inspired by one of Cantus' sig moves. Thanks for posting it, bro.Maximus

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
Here's a photo of the release and catch positions:https://www.deadflesh.org/fear/fearcam3dblstx.jpgMaximus

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
good move dude - can you think of any way to do that without the stall? I've been working on a drop throw...just like a weedwacker 'cept you let the staff spin a few times in the air before reaching down and grabbing it so it looks like it hovers just above the ground...anyhow I reckon with short staves, you might be able to do a spinning drop and a reverse reach down catch?Anyhow - I'll give it a go next time I'm out and let you know how I go! Thanks for the inspiration,Josh

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
Yes, Josh. You can do a spinning drop and a reverse reach down catch. I was showing the move at Fireplay, Los Angeles' weekly spin jam, and Kerad of Esoterotica quickly worked out the spinning version. You have to move at medium speed and come over the shoulder a little diagonally, not straight with them. It kind of looks like a wrap but the stick does actually touch the shoulder.I prefer the look of the drop. With two long staffs you can set up a nice mesmerizing rhythm.Maximus

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
Ooops! I meant to say the stick does NOT actually touch the shoulder...

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I've been doing this catch quite a bit lately - as anyone who saw me spin at poi in the park will attest - both the straight drop and with added twist.You can a nice rythymic bounce to it. I've got about 3 other wraps and throws out of it as well.So thanx Mr Maximus for inspiring me as well.------------------C@ntusThere's only one way of life and that's your own.

Meh