Page:
SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
So, I can do all sorts of sick little tricks with my staff, but the thing the eludes me to this day is that dastardly palm spin. I can get about a half rotation before it catches on a finger or the staff loses it's momentum. I've watched Xaeda do it a millon times in her vids, but I can't get it down to save my life confused. Are there any tricks or techniques to this????------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

Jesus helps me trick people.

GodlovinSpongemember
125 posts

Posted:
Yeah, throw the dang thing instead of just pretending not to. lol.Basically a verticle palm spin is just throwing the staff, but keeping your hand against the staff in order for it not to look like a throw. Why bother?------------------May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
IS that a trick question Sponge?You bother because it looks way cool. The public wont notice at all. But if you saw another staffer do vertical palm spins with doubles you'd be impressed.I know I would anyway.

Meh

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
You know, Maximus, it's only by the the grace of god and six years in Bujinkan that I know what "Shuto" means, but thank you for the suggestion. I will try that.Actually, now that I think about it, the correct term would be "omote shuto". Omote shuto meaning "obvious hand" or obvious strike, as opposed to Ura shuto. Ura meaning conceiled.------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
I DID IT!!!!! I finally fucking did it!God damn! And totally on accident too. I was in the helicopter when I dropped my cigarette. When I looked down to see where it went one of my hands dropped off the staff, and when I looked back up..... Damn! It was just spinning on my palm.It's about goddamned time!Now to crack the BTB 5-Beat weave......------------------If you love something, set it on fire.[This message has been edited by SickpuPpy (edited 07 January 2002).]

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
So people, how are these verticla spins that I haven't been practicing going with you------------------Charles (AKA INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggle.co.nz/fire/fire.html

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

o-omember
78 posts

Posted:
well done sickpuppy. here are my variations for this, if you're intrestedwhen palmspinning helicopter above head (or shuto? - martial arts thing yes?) move that hand (slowly) keeping the palmspin into btb helicopter, sort of crumple slowly under the spinning staff and then collect it in a normal btb helicopter. i have also been tryin to drop it off one palm when btb and then stand up spinning it on the other palm - gonna try those grip trix mentioned earlier to increase spin time.another is push the spinning pole off your palm and catch it overhead again = helicopter throw same olwhen palm spinning overhead turn your body in the opposite direction - if you can get this to look 'nonchalant' it improves.finish with q to charles: are your double vert palm spins 'inside', that is, do they threaten to club your face (backward rotors) or your chin (fwd rotors)?i can sort of do a 45ish spin but my staves are too long for inside - help! cheerso-o

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
0-0 Now I'm confused, vertical palm spins should be in front or to the side of the body, with no chance of hitting your face (IMHO of course).imagine you are putting your hand out as a cop to stop traffic, that is an exaggerated way of describing where my arms and hands are when attemptin vertical palmspins.Alternatively you can do a palmspin facing outwards, spo the staff is spinning parralel to your ear (either left or right of you) and it aslso won't hit you.does this help?My staffs are 1.4 long and im a short little------------------Charles (AKA INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggle.co.nz/fire/fire.html

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
well if youre an idiot and and hold your hand against your chest, its possible that a vertical spin can hit you in the face...oh and to sickpuppy, thats probably the only good thing ive ever heard about cigarettes...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Yes, smoking is filthy, disgusting, and wonderfully satisfying habit.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
I think I am going to have to take up the habit, cos I can't get palm spins happening right now.I had the trick two weeks ago, but it has now left me...Pass me the winnie blues winkR.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Was wondering if anyone doing vertical palming actually intended to do so or was just stumbled onto it, like tourists at the Mardi Gras? There must be like Two Tribes to this debate!Have been working on variants of it thinking that I was being soo original and then reading all these posts with *exactly* the same variants like reverse turns etc! It's pretty cool that twirlers that have never met (not couting astral projection) can develop varaiations along such similar veins. Accident or Illuminatus conspiracy??I've been also working on alternating between left-right for vertical palming, palm movement not unlike the Mr Miaggi wax-on wax-off(tm) method, so that the trick provides non-stop vertical palming.I disagree (respectfully?) with the preference for heavier staves palming - my best palming is done with light staves that have a higher weight distribution to the ends (i.e. short staff but 4" wicking per end) that gives me more torque than John Howard. Lighter staves also gives you more time to vertically palm before ya ug-boots get burnt =/lastly, someone mentioned putting on their handle to help palming - do you smoke? I'm too paranoid about 3rd degree burns to engage in my filthy habit while performing my firey habit.Yes please, two, no sugar.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
Hi Charles, hows it going? Just one question.How many spins or beats or revolutions or whatever else you wanna call em are you getting on a vertical palm spin???Surely its just a glancing beat or so?I spose if you threw a rotor from left to right hands and held your palm against it- would that be apalm spin ala vertical?

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Walking forward, which i think is probably cheating, I've managed 5 spins.But, thats five x 180 degrees so most people would call it 2.5 spins...I prefer 5, it just sounds better when i type it wink grin grin grin------------------Charles (AKA INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggle.co.nz/fire/fire.html

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
charles I like the way your counting, it definately sounds better, Why not shift to binary and claim you can do 101 turns?Ok a move from the twisted world of contact, I don't know if its been posted...If your pulling off palm spins, go for back of hand spins. ripple your finger to keep it going.Sorry about the bruisesGlass----------------------------------In case of emergency.....

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
THIS IS THE ENTIRE REASON THIS BOARD IS SO GREAT!!!!!!!!Thank you Glass.I'd never even thought of trying a back of the hand-spin, the simple things are the hardest ones to think up of.If my fiance wasn't watching I'd kiss you...------------------Charles (AKA INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggle.co.nz/fire/fire.html

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
smileglass_________________________________People in stone houses shouldn't throw ...

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
Thanks glass, grinanymore little gems, my fingerspins could always do with more work. I would really appreciate somehelp with a stable continuous spin. TEMPEST

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Tempest, get a nice short staff (but one with a bit of weight to it helps as it builds your endurance) and just practice. Do fingerspins whilst your watching tv or whatever.Keep at it. It'll get easier in time.

Meh

Gabrielmember
13 posts

Posted:
The staffs that work best for me with palm spinns have more weight at the ends. hum...finger spin like tip of the finger?

How much junk could a ninja chuck if a ninja could chuck junk with nunchucks?

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Gabriel, I think (and I hope!) that they are talking about standard fingerspins, where the staff is spun around 3 or more fingers continuously.A palmspin type move that is just using the tip of the finger??? Now THAT sounds hard (Waits for some guy to pipe in and say they can do it easily)Tempest - Its sometimes easier to learn fingerspins by giving the staff a hard spin to begin with, when it's rotating quickly (and as already said, it the ends are heavy to) you end up using little energy to keep the speed up.Also, heavy staffs take more effort that lighter staffs, but heavier on the ends are easier to keep going for finger spins, palmspins and wraps... grin grin------------------Charles (AKA INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggle.co.nz/fire/fire.html

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

lluhmasmember
63 posts

Posted:
I dont use the momentum from my palm to spin, i just use the momentum from a helicopter or whatever move im doing to do it. im practicing a vertical spin now smile

BAHOOGA! It's the penguin-people!Gertrude, get me my lollypop and we'll lick 'em to death..and?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
*whistles innocently to help Charles to relax slightly*I can't spin on just one finger (yet). But, with sufficient momentum I can spin on the tip of my thumb and forefinger.

Meh

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
cantus. wow on the end of 2 fingers. ohh hardcharles sorry mate, but fingertipspin is pretty easy, (its a club jugglers flourish) put all your finger and thumb tips together, and you can power it round. smileGlass

Jimmember
24 posts

Posted:
I find all this contactt spinning easier to learn with a devilstick. Only recently picked up the staff, but a lot of the stuff you're talking about I figured out just chilling around the house with a devilstick in my hand. Pretty short so you're not gonna smash anything ( well sometimes! )

Its a fish!

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
hummm, not really on topic, but since someone mentioned fingerspins...

(the type where you twirl the staff inbetween your fingers)

if youre doing alternate rotors with doubles, and wish to switch to simultaneous timing, simply finger roll a staff for one rotation when its behind, its very nice and smooth, and very fast..

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

KnoxiousGOLD Member
420 posts

Posted:
ok...here goes...(I've not posted about tech moves yet):
Palm Spins - Weight seems to be personal preference. Obviously the more weight there is on the end, the more the staff will carry its owm momentum. Light? Heavy? Oranges or apples? If it feels good...(spin it?)
I nailed my palm spins by getting a good flat horizontal 2 beat plane and when you've just got it above your head, open your hand...but look at it! Yes, you can try to 'feel' it but it's way easier (in my humblest opinion) to look and make any adjustments by sight. Once you feel good, get your 2 beat plane faster and afaster and you'll get a longer palm spin.

Once you haver it pretty good, rippling your fingers will help keep some speed, but it's hard.

(I'm sure this is already named, but I'll try to describe) Then try holding it above your head, lean down so your back is horizontal, bring your palm spin to your butt, change hands (it's a bitch but it's easily achievable) and bring your 'new' hand back up to your head. If you can turn whilst doing this, people will think you're super fab and you will get a big smile!

Another neat varient that I've seen glass do is a fist spin, looks freakin' hardcore if you pull a mega manga stance with it (sorry if that was going to be a 'signature move' Glass!)
Just punch straight up and look hard. It's excellent!

Ok...enough....

KnoxiousGOLD Member
420 posts

Posted:
oh yeah....

Finger Sins - yes..practice practice practice (as with all), I got them nice by holding my hand up VERY vertically. I start (generally) with my palm facing me, staff in crook of thumb and forefinger, give it a good crank (to get the momentum going) - and rather than trying to manipulate the staff through your fingers - make your fingers very subtly get out of the way of the staff. This way you're not stressing about keeping the spin going too much, you're lettign the staff do all the work. When it gets to your pinky, turn your palm away and go back to your thumb! It's quite important to keep your hand flat/open (as opposed to crabbed and scrunched up) and vertical.

Ok ...nuff said....

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
on the fingerspin tip...

for doing thumb-fingerspins I do the first 3 half spins through the finders with the palm facing up. when it get inbetween the pinky and ring finger I turn my hand over so that the palm faces down and run the staff across the back of my hand. For continious I have my hand vertical with the pinky pointed to the sky, theres a couple of diffrent ways to do continuious, from using just the first two gaps to jumping a finger on one or both sides of the hand, this can be easier to keep the centre of ballance of the staff in roughly the right place.

Another thing to try is to add 3 fingers to each side of a figure eight so you get 2.5(i think) rotations on each side, you can slip shoulder rolls in too. good one for doubles.

Gotta run

Love

N

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

TwirlyVicnorthern monkey
235 posts

Posted:
okay i know i'm not as experienced as you guys and yes i cant do helicopter spins while eating ice cream, but i do know a little trick for palm spins...

just imagine you're holding the mankiest ickiest spider in the whole wide world on your palm and you know if it touches your fingers then you're dead... henceforth falt hand!

love & laughter
vic xx

p.s. could it be cos i'm doublejointed in my fingers that i can start finger spinning and literally NOT stop????

ex-hop-aholic, now inconsistent lurker...

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Double-jointed in your fingers?

Doesn't that mean that you can close your fingers down towards your palm (like everyone else) and also upwards so you can make a fist with the top of your hand in middle?

Now that would open up so many more moves! (and look revolting )

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

Page: