Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Double-Staff throws (Both staffs thrown)

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Ok, I'm now getting a little bored with my long double staffs, and think learning some double throws where BOTH staffs go into the air would getme back on track.So far, i've had no success at all.Well, not strictly true, I've managed to simultaneously and alternatingly throw both my practice staffs in the air, but as far as catching the second (or the first :eek smile, no cigar at all.I can, just, manage a simultaneous underarm/over shoulder wrap with both but even when the same motion is applied with an inch high throw instead of a wrap it all goes to h*ll.I'm pretty confident with throwing a single and single wraps while doing doubles, so I'm sure I just need some insight ino the the right technique (and of course, lots and lots of practice).Can anyone help me with some simple double's throws, or anything easy and funky to help me on my way with long doubles...------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
AFAIK Josh hasn't got HOP access at the moment, so I hope he doesn't mind me sharing his trick on his behalf.have each staff twirling vertically at each side, stall as one end of each comes behind your shoulders, bring the staves forward and flick the wrists to have both staves do a single high loop and land flat back in the hands.far out my descriptions are bad. sorry.basically the staves stay precisely on the vertical plane either side of the body and loop, as opposed to spin.apologies.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Que? Umm...(damn i wish we had webcams)Thanks flash, do you mean like an underarm shoulder wrap but higher and traveling up and down nose first (leading edge) like a plane?(might be time to ressurect my naming staff moves threads,( frown where's Cantus when you need him...).------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Licking my wounds.....What did you want? I can drag out the staff moves thread again. But they dont take any notice. Kids today etc...

Meh

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
hey guys! we are back online here at home smilecredit where its due - thats Kate's move - although I can do it a bit more reliably (still not what I would call reliable tho) than her.staves going backwards on either side ofthe body reverse hand roll to get the reverse grip (uncentred) then throw both simultaneously up for a loop then catch both in a reverse grip. I cant do it very well (yet), but I'm getting there. My doubles stuff is getting more interesting as I sift through all the techniques I learned on the weekend...ahh...Josh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I'm sure most of the throws you do for single are applicable to doubles. Just require a lot more practice.I don't do any so I can't comment. It's one of those things I keep meaning to get into.

Meh

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Josh, that desciption is just like Kates...which poor little me can't undertsand.I don't know if you are doing rotors or figure8's, I'm guessing a loop is where the staff spins along it's length instead of a central axis.And what's a reverse catch? ...------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Ok. I'm starting to really get into these doubles throws now. Thanks Charles for inspiring me.None of them are at any point which I can confidently say I wish to share them with you yet. Give it a few days and I might grinActually some of the inspiration comes from Josh and Kate - thanks kids. I'm much happier now!

Meh

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Hmmm.Hmmmmmm. Simultaneous throws! Alternating throws already hurt too much but Simultenous you guys just have too much stamina! (me gingerly touches left ear in memory of pain..) I spose then if yer all goin apeshit, have ya tried experimenting with staff/poi combos? there's a lot of talk aboot them being similar but mixed is good to tell which twirling school you need more practice in, not to mention funky lookin. Weaves and helicopters/corkscrews are my mainstays for that. It's rewarding as! 'cept the last time i went experimenting I woke up next to a smiling German Shepherd in a tutu and an egg whisk in my hand...------------------Its nice to be important but it's more important to be nice

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I shall have to start off by saying this is the 3rd post of yours where i haven't really got a clue what you're on about.I can pick out bits then i get lost.Erm, Katinca does staff and poi in combination. I keep meaning to try it. There's no time like the present I spose.....I'll do it tomorrow/today - I have to wake up in few hours, I'll start doing it then (it's 5.50am here)------------------C@ntusThere's only one way of life and that's your own.

Meh

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
How about working on these throws together dude? You know what they say - two heads are better than one.Tempest

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Ok ok, so know we have drifted so far off topic we are running out of water and tic-tacs grinCan someone give me some more hints on simultaneous throws with double staffs, rather than just telling me how much beter you all are (I knew that beforehand).------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
BUMP!!!(looks innocently at the sky rolleyes )------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
Sorry Cantus, I forgot to say that my last reply was intended for your good self. Interested?

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Right, I guess all the staff God's are out in the world and practicing instead of stuck inside on a rainy miserable summers day like me.no matter how hard I try I just can't seem to get a simultaneous throw going, unless it is starting with both staffs in one hand.Geting there with a Between The Leg throw while doing doubles, any other ideas guys?????------------------Charles (AKA INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggle.co.nz/fire/fire.html

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey Charles.practice twirling, throwing and catching 2 clubs. I think its easier, and it gives you a good way to practice with a chance of actually catching them both smileOther than that its all in the throw(s). double throws are much easier if the releases are exactly the same.Josh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Yeah Tempest I know. Only I've been a bit busy lately as you may have noticed from some of the other threads.....

Meh

o-omember
78 posts

Posted:
hi there...i am also trying double throws. i find that alternating the throws with the 'same' release is where the smoothest "feel" is.the only way i have ever made progress is by just resigning myself to getting clubbed in the head by the returning-to-earth pole/s.then occasionally i get a catch and i start learning......ouch. and the worst of it is, with Poi the crowd always go nuts, with poles they're like "wtf? i seen that on TV. it must be simple..."um. when i get a DV cam and firewire etc i'll try to set us up the video to show - i can't explain.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yo,cheers charlie boy, picked up the doubles (with which Ive been a little dissintrested) and fould a double throw. Same as the swapover really (passing the staffs simultainiously infront of you) with both staffs doing backwards figure eights but instead of going over the staffs go straight up and down. If you get the weak hand running the same as the strong hand then all you got to worry about is getting them far enoungh apart so they dont clash and catching is no problem if they are syncronised.Needless to say I aint really nailed this one yet, but this thread has got me back on the doubles.LoveNix?

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I have found that it is impossible to catch both staves at the same time by watching them, something about not being abole to control my eyes independantly. so the only thing to do is practice untill you can do it blindfolded with each hand individualy, then try doing it with both staves simuetaneously. The only time I ever tried it they were on fire, and I ended up not even coming close to catching them, or even throwing them correctly in the first place...good luck, your gona need it... wink

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
It is possible, just don't throw the staffs on either side of you, or if you do, move so that they are in front of you when they come down... smileThe only simultaneaous thrpow i can catch is holding both staffs in one hand, upswinging them in front of me, letting go and then moving to the side so i can catch them both with my palms facings down...------------------Charles (AKA INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggle.co.nz/fire/fire.html

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
The secret to catching is throwing.if both staffs are uniformly thrown then you dont have to watch thm both as they are both doing the same thing, make the catches simultainious and concentrate on your weak hand. thats about it for me.Love

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Also, Nix, if the staffs are in the air quite close to each other you can actually focuss on both of them and catch them in the same manner...Hmm, this thread is getting hard to follow again, I'll see if I can start up another naming moves thread, my descriptions are getting sloppy again... frown------------------Charles (AKA INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggle.co.nz/fire/fire.html

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I find that if I slow the thrown staffs down slightly then they're easier to catch simultaineously. I acheive this in a number of ways. Chief amongst them being by wrapping them round a handy body part - such as my upper arms.Does this make sense Charles or should I rephrase it?

Meh

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
ooo ooo, i have something that might be helpful, although really obvious...:hopes it wasnt said before cause he quickly scanned most of the posts:for me at least, my greatest problem is ineptitude of the left hand, it does not like catching, and the only way ive managed to attain a semblance of simultaneous throws is to sit there with just a staff in my left hand and just sit there and practice with that till it can do it well, then go for both at the same time...oh, and a trick i really wanna learn that involves simultaneou throws is as follows...start going in an alternate double rotor...(one staff rotates in front of you while the other rotates behind)when on is behind throw that one over your shoulder and catch it in front of you...at the same time, throw the one in front of you over your shoulder and catch it behind you...now that would be sick... :prepares for many bruises on both sides of head:[This message has been edited by Whiffle Squeek (edited 03 March 2002).]

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Rephrase would be nice please Cantus...Is it not easier just to throw them slower?------------------Charles (AKA INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggle.co.nz/fire/fire.html

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

Mineiromember
262 posts

Posted:
not been doing much simultaneous but have a few alternate throws to share...try going btb (staffs going opposite to each other)to throw under the opposite arm and out in frotn, the timing seems to suit continuous throws...also with both in the same direction throw one staff under the other, the best way i can describe it is similar to juggling chops, may be the most beautifully fluid move i have ever seen.....a few more also but my descriptive powers are low....so if anyone will be at bjc2002 in a few weeks then some swapping?????enjoy.

brain replacement...anyone?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Unlike Mr Mushinkato I do not possess the ability to slow time. Therefore my staffs obey the laws of physics and fall at a normal speed.If I need my hands to intercept them before they hit the ground (and I lose my audience) then I bounce them off a handy body part - such as my shoulders - to enable my hands time to get into catching position.Make any more sense?

Meh

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Blimmin 'eck wink , Cantus, you say that's making things easier.A simultaneaous throw of two staffs, and then bouncing or wraping them around your shoulders before ctaching them again? shockedHmmm, maybe I'm just not thinking in the right way. I find it easier to throw 'lazy' throws, where the whole arm is straighter thasn usual, including the wrist, before the release, which means you can get the throw to take more time in the air and spinning less as well. that can give you a lot more time than you think to get under them.But a wrap or a shoulder bounce? I guess I need to practice some trident moves...------------------Charles (AKA INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggle.co.nz/fire/fire.html

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Yeah but you can juggle, Charles. I can't.

Meh

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
Yeah minero, Looks like I will be there with a bunch of other spinners and my girlfriend. Come find me - I have long dark hair and am tall and thin. probably the one with the glostaffs. grin It would be good to brainstorm with more double staffers as I rarely seem to meet them (or they are too busy to spin like that fellow Cantus). grinLiam Tempest

Page: