Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Double-Staff throws (Both staffs thrown)

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Ok, I'm now getting a little bored with my long double staffs, and think learning some double throws where BOTH staffs go into the air would getme back on track.So far, i've had no success at all.Well, not strictly true, I've managed to simultaneously and alternatingly throw both my practice staffs in the air, but as far as catching the second (or the first :eek smile, no cigar at all.I can, just, manage a simultaneous underarm/over shoulder wrap with both but even when the same motion is applied with an inch high throw instead of a wrap it all goes to h*ll.I'm pretty confident with throwing a single and single wraps while doing doubles, so I'm sure I just need some insight ino the the right technique (and of course, lots and lots of practice).Can anyone help me with some simple double's throws, or anything easy and funky to help me on my way with long doubles...------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Mineiromember
262 posts

Posted:
ok... bit of a strange one this, came to me as i was burning myself last night trying something else new....which is also quite nice so maybe i will start with that one then the one with throws....i guess i should have read the naming threads to find out what this is all called but i will try to make it clear...both hands doing what i think is called reverse rotor(?) with alternate timing, then when coming to the front each staff does a head roll to the same hand, looks a bit sloppy if you catch in front, but behind with extra wraps....wow. so...the hard version. as one staff does a head roll the other is thrown giving enough time to swap hands on the first one...then turn 180 and go the other way(or there are ways of getting back from forwads rotor to reverse without the 180 but then you are in extra combos...)also i know i should be putting this on somewhere else but time=£ so.. if wraps are where the staff leaves your hand and travels round some bodypart with no hand contact...what is the staff equivalent of the poi waistwrap(weave all the ay round btb and to the other side, or the same with butterfly) called? taTempest i will probably (possibly)be running the te POOKa stall at bjc and coming with 6 or 7 others, one from sale...so see you there

brain replacement...anyone?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Tempest is also quite disturbingly handsome. He wouldn't mention that himself though (he may not have noticed it).

Meh

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
Easy one, which looks kinda nice...you have both staffs close together (your hands basically touching) in front of you in different hands.If you spin (using fingerspins) the one in the right clockwise and the one in the left anticlockwise, they sort of just miss each other, like, interlocking... it puts me in mind of the poi butterfly.You can throw this and it keeps its shape really well, and looks like the staffs are sort of bouncing off each other (in the same way that the poi in the butterfly look like they are bounciong off each other).Catching is simply a matter of keeping youe hands out in front of you and looking at the point where the staffs cross.------------------"O! for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention." - William ShakespeareCheck out my Online Gallery!ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

maeonmember
40 posts

Posted:
I haven't really worked much on similtaneous throws ...I guess now I'll have to start. However, my all time favourite double staff move is an alternating throw ...I'm not sure if its already been described somewhere or not, but here goes.In your right hand you're doing the backwards /reverse version of the figure eight (the most basic staff move), but at your side rather than infront of you. So as the staff comes infront of your body, it is the heel of the hand (not the thumb) that is leading. Roll your hand over, and flick the staff up into the air out of the heel of your hand - it should be spinning anticlockwise.Meanwhile, back at the left hand side of the body... In your left hand you should be doing the figure eight normally at your side - so as the staff comes infront of your body your thumb should be leading. Once the right hand staff is thrown, pass the left hand staff behind your back to your right hand - just like the bottom part of the standard behind the back move ...the star/windmill. This leaves your left hand free to catch the staff that was thrown.So both staffs are traveling the same anticlockwise circle. The staffs are always spinning in an anticlockwise direction (as seen from behind.) They go fromright hand to left hand infront of you as a throwleft hand to right hand behind your back as a hand to hand pass.You need to start with one, and be prepared to drop it a hell of a lot when you first incorporate the second. Practice it in steps and it will come together nicely.now I'm off to practice similtaneous throws ....maeon.

Where in the world is the island I'm on?

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yo,thats one of my favs too meon, infact the first move I learnt with doubles.I found from my experiments with simultainious throws that you can do them with forward or backward figure8's and if you go forward and put a shoulder roll in before the throw it gives a good release and also throws them at an angle to each other ( /\ ) so that they dont clash. otherwise its a caser of throwing one slightly forward of the other.I HATE THE RAINsorry, just had to get that out.Love N

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
oh chalie,it might be the gargantuan proportions of your staffs that make it so had to throw. I find the bigger the staff the farder anyway and the diffrence between the strength of the dominant arm can be more aparent if its heavy (stoping the 'simultainiosity' of the throws) so mabe have a little play with a couple of glowstaffs or sommit.just a thought,N

-><- Kallisti

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
That's actually a good hint, Nix

Sometimes I forget that the majority of doublestaffers use much shorter staffs than my 1.4 metre ones.

However, it should simply make it harder, rather than impossible...

When I get around to buying two glowstaffs, I'll see if they can help me learn the technique so I can transfer it to my bigger ones.

Aside from that, how is everyone else's throws going???

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Mineiromember
262 posts

Posted:
mmmmmm fabulous, got some new throws and wraps, double throws only a few tho... kind of links into contact stuff this one - contact one staff on top pof the other so you are only holding one(nice way into it charles is to go from the double palm spins you mentioned in another thread, throw one up(must be same direction!!!) and land it on the other) then spin both above your head and throw... catching is just a cas of keeping your eyes on the centres....easier said than done, but a beautiful move....
enjoy
have to say hto just been getting smoother, not too much new throwing, but wraps, oooooohhhhhh....
axé
Mineiro

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
after complaining about it on another thread I got the butterfly throws today, ver nice vwer nice...

N

-><- Kallisti

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
ok, well, i suck major at doubles but since i didn't see these in my skim I'll list them.

Throw one under your leg (remember two legs, and two ways to come from under.... i think that makes four total different versions for the under the leg staff)and one straight up. (i can do this from just about anything that isn't over teh head.)

Throw them over your head from the sides.

Throw one from the front and one from behind so they pass over your head. *warning* *warning* this one is really hard to do and i've actually not worked on it almost since i started doubles cause it hurt so much.

Throw one from the front so it would pass over your head and one from behind straight up, turn 180, and catch both in what is now ur front.

Throw both in lazy throws that intersect at the top of the arc,this one is also kinda hard to do cause they like to hit.

And I think someone already said this, but you can always throw both in front of you.

that's all i know for simultaneous in seperate hands....

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Mineiromember
262 posts

Posted:
got a nice new one of these... only with 125s tho so not on fire yet.

start both staffs horozontal, left hand acw, right hand cw. as they come up together in front of you throw them both so one passes just above the other, then catch same time in opposite hand... then to get back to the start position you can snake them both(clubswinging terms, sorry) and pass accross in front of you....

Rob

fireletmember
2 posts

Posted:
this may be an old trick but I'm into 'juggling' with the staffs at the moment ;p it's not the same as throwing both simulataneously but it looks just as great... my friends kinda came up with it and I'm still working on catching it more than half the time but it goes like this... you throw the one in your right hand up in a clockwise spin then pass the one in your left hand behind your back to your right hand... then with the free left hand you catch the one that was in the air and do a 180 degree rotation to get back into a double-spin... sound fun? (if you can understand what the hell I'm describing that is lol)

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Humm, i may have posted this before somewhere...

both hands doing alternate backwards figure 8 (or forwards, but i prefer to throw onna backwards) right hand throws up for one spin, as it comes down throw and imeadatly cath the other staff with the left hand, catch the now airbourn staff with the right and your into forwards alternate figure 8.

to split the staffs (sommit i been praticing hard) have them held fairly off center to each other (at least a wick length) both in the same hand. Throw in your prefered style and they should split sideways midair, catch and smile

Have fun

N

-><- Kallisti

iainmember
30 posts

Posted:
The trick to simultaneous tricks is to always catch with your peripheral vision. Don't look at the catch! Stare where you want the staffs to go, and if it's a sync move that should mean staring between the two aiming peripherally as well. Don't look down for the catch! ( That's a great way to get hit in the head by the other one. ;P )

Also, get each hand so nailed that you can do the move 50 times in a row flawlessly while still staring as if there were two. This results in a lot faster learning and a lot fewer bruises than just repeatedly bailing with two. Make sure the spacing is the exact same as with two though.

Hope that helps.
Iain

theblackunicornmember
119 posts

Posted:
hmmm...up till now i only did double short staffs...but this seems pretty interesting. i will have to try using long staffs soon. i only wish i was a bit taller. i might cut them down a bit even..seeing as my long staffs are 5'5 in hight, and im only 5'7! ah well..thx for the inspiriation to get workin on somwthing else..too bad it will have to wait a few weeks...(smacks self in head for letting my brother take them to cali with him)

its to dying in anothers arms and why i had to try it......

Page: